Job Vacancies World Resources Institute (WRI)
Position: Spring Internship ” New Ventures ”
Type: Intern (non-paid)
Program: Markets & Enterprise Program (MEP)
More information about this job:
New Ventures is looking for a part-time or full-time intern to assist in research, impact measurement, communications, and outreach. New Ventures (NV) is part of the Markets and Enterprise Program at World Resources Institute. The Markets and Enterprise Program seeks to direct the flow of capital towards sustainable businesses. New Ventures is the World Resources Institute’s center for environmental entrepreneurship – providing business development services to environmentally-focused small and medium enterprises (SMEs) in emerging markets. New Ventures addresses the key barriers to “green” entrepreneurial growth by building in-country support networks for environmental enterprises and increasing their access to finance (for more information, see www.new-ventures.org).
New Ventures surveys all companies in our portfolio to obtain information about their environmental and social impacts as well as their financial performance impact of these companies. We develop impact reports (a one page summary of the company’s impacts and performance) and web profiles for the companies. The intern will focus on developing impact reports and web profiles for the companies that belong to New Ventures India. The intern will also perform research on environmental problems in each of the 6 countries to communicate these problems in the impact reports and on the web; the deliverable will be a fact sheet on these environmental problems and a list of resources used to develop the fact sheets. The intern will also assist in social media (Twitter) and outreach for New Ventures’ upcoming Global Investor Forum. The Global Investor Forum will be a conference held in New York City in April to present six leading New Ventures companies to an audience of international investors, businesspeople and philanthropists.
Contact NV India companies, schedule interviews with entrepreneurs, interview and collect impact report data, draft web profile.
Research biodiversity, energy, natural resource, pollution, agriculture/deforestation/land, and water problems in Brazil, China, Colombia, India, Indonesia, and Mexico (stats and trends). Develop 1-2 page fact sheet and resource list. Brainstorm how to communicate these findings on the web.
Assist in tweeting New Ventures news and other interesting news pieces.
Assist in Global Investor Forum outreach – sending out invitations, finding sponsors, and other outreach activities.
Support New Ventures team on other tasks and activities.
An undergraduate student (or recent graduate) pursuing a degree in environmental studies/science, international relations, communications, or a related field.
* Understanding of environmental issues such as Climate Change, biodiversity, deforestation, water, pollution, etc. Interest in environmental issues, social/environmental entrepreneurship, impact investing, and/or sustainable development.
* Excellent research, writing, quantitative, and organizational skills.
* Familiarity with basic business concepts a plus. Familiarity with India or other NV country a plus. Familiarity or experience in any of the following sectors a plus: biodiversity conservation, energy efficiency technology, cleantech, natural resource conservation, pollution prevention & waste management, organic agriculture, sustainable land use, and water resource management.
* Ability to work well in a team, manage multiple priorities, take initiative, and deliver under tight deadlines.
Salary and benefits :
The internship is unpaid, but presents a great opportunity to establish a record with a leading environmental organization and learn about environmentally-focused enterprises.
3-6 months, part time or full time, but intern must be able to work a minimum of 20 hours/week
About WRI :
The World Resources Institute (WRI) is an environmental think tank that goes beyond research to create practical ways to protect the planet and improve people’s lives. Our mission is to move human society to live in ways that protect Earth’s environment for current and future generations.
People and ecosystems. Reverse rapid degradation of ecosystems and assure their capacity to provide humans with needed goods and services.
Climate change. Protect the global climate system from further harm due to emissions of greenhouse gases and help humanity and the natural world adapt to unavoidable climate change.
Markets and Enterprise. Harness markets and enterprise to expand economic opportunity and protect the environment.
Access. Guarantee public access to information and decisions regarding natural resources and the environment.
Institutional excellence. Support and enhance WRI’s ability to achieve results.
World Resources Institute
10 G Street, NE Suite 800
Washington, DC 20002
Incoming search terms for the article:
- water resource internship
- world bank internship india 2011
- world resources institute india
- environmental issues in india 2011
- wri intern
- climate internship 2011
- VACANCIES WATER AND ENVIRONMENT RESEARCHER 2011
- water problems in the world 2011
- climate change vacancies india may 2011
- climate outreach internship