Job Vacancies WITNESS
WITNESS uses video to open the eyes of the world to human rights violations. We empower people to transform personal stories of abuse into powerful tools for justice, promoting public engagement and policy change. WITNESS was co-founded in 1992 by musician and activist Peter Gabriel as the realization of Peter’s vision of capturing the stories of human rights atrocities on video and putting them at the forefront of human rights campaigns. Since then, WITNESS has trained and partnered with thousands of human rights activists to utilize video for change in over 70 countries all over the world.
Position: Senior Communications Manager
Closing Date: Thursday, 30 September 2010
Location: United States of America (the) – Brooklyn, NY 11217
The Senior Communications Manager will oversee the WITNESS Communication team and will lead in developing and executing a comprehensive communications strategy for the organization. She/he will be responsible for supporting outreach on partner campaigns and for generating visibility for the organization among its core audiences, including human rights activists, non-profit organizations, video for change practitioners, donors, and the media. This position reports to the Managing Director.
* Create, articulate, and implement a strategic communication and outreach plan to advance WITNESS’ vision, mission and goals, with online media as a key focus.
* Produce fresh and compelling content for all online presences including the website, blog, and social media profiles, including timely response to global events related to our campaigns.
* Write and edit talking points, press releases, opinion/editorials, blogs and other public statements on institutional initiatives, major public events, and for specific campaigns.
* Cultivate and leverage relationships with the media (broadcast, print, and online) in order to generate coverage of WITNESS as an institution and for partner campaigns.
* In collaboration with the Development/External Relations team, conceptualize online fundraising efforts and contribute to report writing with respect to foundations and donors.
* Develop outreach plans in collaboration with Program staff and partner representatives for human rights advocacy campaigns.
* Capitalize on all public appearances of WITNESS staff to generate content and connections with our online communities.
* Provide media training to staff and partners as necessary in order to elevate their voices as spokespeople; act as spokesperson for the organization as needed.
* Direct the messaging, design, and production of all marketing material in collaboration with external branding and design teams.
* Maximize press coverage for high profile events with celebrity supporters.
* Provide strong, effective leadership to a dynamic Communications team of 2-3 staff.
* Ensure the Communications team is motivated and guided to contribute fully to the realization of WITNESS’ mission, vision and goals.
* Create departmental budget and track expenses.
* Oversee the monitoring and evaluation of communication-related metrics.
* Recruit and cultivate members of an informal, external Communications advisory group.
* Minimum of a Bachelors degree required; advanced degree preferred
* A minimum of 7-9 years of experience coordinating and executing communications campaigns, including developing and implementing new media strategies
* Excellent organizational, communication (written, verbal), and management skills
* Proven experience managing large, well-trafficked websites
* Proven success implementing social media for marketing, advocacy, and fundraising
* Expertise in producing online multimedia content
* Experience working with fundraising staff on projects geared towards funder communications
* Experience managing staff
* Demonstrated ability to collaborate with all staff and senior management to achieve organizational goals
* Detail oriented with strong project management skills
* Commitment to human rights issues
* Fluency in a second language (preferably Spanish) strongly preferred
The ideal candidate will be an experienced global communications professional, with past experience leading an ambitious and effective communication program with diverse communication methods. She/he will possess proven leadership, management, and organizational skills, and will have the expertise, determination, and enthusiasm to drive and achieve the organization’s communication goals. She/he will be a skilled writer, capable of distilling complex issues into vivid language understandable to general and tailored audiences. She/he must be comfortable managing multiple projects under deadlines and must have both a strong understanding of the current media landscape and the ability to develop creative approaches to communicating our message within it. Someone who is both big-picture strategic and hands-on implementer, and who has a passion for social change, will thrive in this dynamic role at WITNESS.
How to apply
START DATE: As soon as possible
SALARY: Commensurate with experience, with an excellent benefits package including full medical, dental, vision and 401K plan, and generous vacation package
TO APPLY: Send cover letter, resume, and contact information for 3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “SrManager”
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Applications accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled; early applications encouraged. Please note that due to the volume anticipated, we will not be able to respond individually to each applicant. We kindly ask that you do not send duplicate applications via mail or email, and no phone calls. Thank you.
WITNESS IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. WE CAREFULLY CONSIDER APPLICANTS FOR ALL POSITIONS WITHOUT REGARD TO RACE, COLOR, RELIGION, CREED, GENDER, NATIONAL ORIGIN, AGE, DISABILITY, MARITAL OR VETERAN STATUS, SEXUAL ORIENTATION, OR ANY OTHER LEGALLY PROTECTED STATUS. http://www.witness.org
80 Hanson Place
Brooklyn, New York
Reference Code: RW_88QVP9-3
Incoming search terms for the article:
- RESUME HTML (Human OR Resources) -sample -example
- (PROJECT RESUME HTML PROGRAM (MANAGER OR COORDINATOR) -sample -example
- witness event job
- witness Communication
- witness application for job
- wintness communicatons director position
- vacancy communications manager december 2010
- The witness vacancies 31 august 2010
- the witness job vacancies
- Sr Communications Manager at WITNESS