Job Vacancies United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS)
Position: Information Systems Coordinator
Location: United States of America ( The ), New York
Closing Date: Thursday, 06 October 2011
UNOPS helps its partners in the United Nations system meet the world’s needs for building peace, recovering from disaster, and creating sustainable development. UNOPS is known for its ability to implement complex projects in all types of environments around the globe. In an effort to promote organizational excellence, UNOPS seeks highly qualified individuals for the following position: Vacancy Details Vacancy Code Post Title Post Level Position status Project Title Org Unit Duty Station Duration Closing Date VA/2011/NAO/UNDG/DFS/ISCP-5/09-15 Information Systems Coordinator P5 Non-rotational Field ICT Support Technical Support to UNDFS-ICTD System Development and Governance New York 1 year 6 October 2011 Background The United Nations Department of Field Support, Information and Communications Technology Division (UN DFS-ICTD) is charged with the provision of continuous and reliable voice, data and video services to the Department of Peacekeeping Operations and Department of Political Affairs field missions globally. UN DFS-ICTD wishes to provide senior management with a strategic reporting capacity delivered through a series of dashboards to support senior management decision making and provide visibility and measurement of tactical and intangible mission activities, including improved visibility of deployments, movements and security. These dashboards will enable the organization to identify and measure key performance indicators and to assess the operations of the organization against them over time. UNOPS has been requested by DFS-ICTD to assist in implementing the activity Duties and Responsibilities Overall Management of the DFS ICTD Project Portfolio • • • Overall coordination of all UNOPS MOUs pertaining to DFS/ICTD; Administrative management, budget and workplan planning and coordination for the UNOPS programme of activities for all global locations in collaboration with team leaders; Provide guidance and orientation with view to ensuring alignment of activities with MOU objectives and optimizing resources; • • • • Coordination and management of teams who are responsible for the implementation, deployment, maintenance and operational integrity of administrative and logistics support field systems; Develop plan for expansion of off-shore development teams in new locations in line with projects objectives; Establishment of operating and service level agreements and assurance of compliance to such agreements; Manages a team of Project Managers who are responsible for the management of the implementation, deployment and operational integrity, including adherence to security concerns, of field oriented systems ;
• Manages the structured transition of production systems to support and systems maintenance functions;
• Certifies systems architectures are developed and deployed in accordance with the International Organization for Standards;
• Participate in the development, implementation and coordination of operational and governance procedures, including change management
• Assure that ICTD quality standards are adhered to throughout the life cycle of a system;
• Manage the structured transition of newly deployed systems to production support and maintenance functions;
• Oversee the validation of systems integration and interoperability requirements through coordination with systems certification and integration function
• Assure that systems architectures are developed and deployed in accordance with ICTD requirements;
• Assure that ICTD security policies are observed in the development and implementation of systems, including performance of audits of security protocols, mechanisms and controls.
The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
Job Vacancies Required Selection Criteria Competencies Professionalism:
Strong theoretical background and substantial experience in information technology/ information management, particularly in systems analysis, database design and programming and implementation of systems. Demonstrates capacity for intellectual leadership and ability to integrate knowledge with broader strategic, policy and operational objectives. Good knowledge of organizations ICT strategy and infrastructure as it relates to user area(s). Ability to develop innovative approaches to resolve a wide range of issues/problems. Good knowledge of relevant internal policies and business activities and processes within the area(s) in which the system operates. Demonstrated ability to manage projects and working towards the achievement of defined deliverables. Expert decision-making experience in the field and proven record of managing contracted onsite as well as offshore teams.
Job Vacancies Management
– Proven record of building and managing teams and creating an enabling work environment, including ability to effectively lead, supervise, mentor, develop and evaluate groups of staff and design training/skills enhancement initiatives to ensure effective transfer of knowledge/skills. Delegates the appropriate responsibility, accountability and decision-making authority.
- Ability to identify and analyze clients needs and develop appropriate technological solutions to meet business requirements;
– Excellent communication (spoken and written) skills, including the ability to convey complex technical concepts both orally and in writing, in a clear, concise style.
Planning & Organizing
- Ability to organize, plan and implement work assignments, juggle competing demands and work under pressure of frequent and tight deadlines. Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships and working relations with people in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity. Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals.
Job Vacancies Education/Experience/Language Education:
Advanced University degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in Computer or Information Systems, Mathematics, Statistics or other related field. A first level university degree with a combination of relevant academic qualifications and extensive experience in information and communications technology may be accepted in lieu of advanced university degree.
Job Vacancies Work Experience:
A minimum of ten years of progressively responsible experience in ICT systems design, ICT services delivery, and ICT technology utilized in UN field missions, including experience in developing and supporting large centralized and globally distributed institutional systems is required. Extensive indepth experience in the development and management of information and communications technology projects and programmes, managing and delivering highly complex systems and data management projects is required. At least 3 years experience at a managerial position in the Field Peacekeeping Operations environment is required. At least six years experience in a senior/managerial position as well as at the international level is required. Experience in both public and private sector organizations is highly desirable.
Job Vacancies Other skills:
Experience with governance and system management frameworks such as ITIL, Prince2, and related ISO standards is required. Languages Fluency in spoken and written English; knowledge of a second official UN language is an advantage. Submission of Applications Qualified candidates may submit their application, including a letter of interest, complete Curriculum Vitae and an updated United Nations Personal History Form (P.11) (available on our website), to DFSJOBS@unops.org. Kindly indicate the vacancy number and the post title in the subject line when applying by email. Additional Considerations Applications received after the closing date will not be considered. Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified. Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a level below the advertised level of the post. For more information on UNOPS, please visit the UNOPS website at www.unops.org.
Job Vacancies UNOPS North America Regional Office
The Chrysler Building
405 Lexington Avenue, 5th Floor
Tel: +1 212 457-4000