Job Vacancies United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS)
Position: Junior Climate Specialist
Location: United States of America ( The ), New York
Closing Date: Thursday, 07 July 2011
UNOPS helps its partners in the United Nations system meet the world’s needs for building peace, recovering from disaster, and creating sustainable development. UNOPS is known for its ability to implement complex projects in all types of environments around the globe. In an effort to promote organizational excellence, UNOPS seeks highly qualified individuals for the following position: Vacancy Details Vacancy Code Post Title Appointment Level Project Title Org Unit Duty Station Duration Start Date Closing Date UNOPS/AFO/SNOC/032/2011 Junior Climate Specialist IICA IICA – 1 Africa Adaptation Programme UNOPS SNOC New York 12 Months with possible extension subject to funding availability 15 July, 2011 07/07/2011 Background The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the UN’s global development network, an organization advocating for change and connecting countries to knowledge, experience, and resources to help people build a better life. With offices in 166 countries, UNDP works with national level partners to seek solutions to global and national development challenges. UNDP Environment and Energy Group (EEG) is based in UNDP’s Bureau for Development Policy and is responsible for providing leadership and technical support toward delivery of the Environment and Sustainable Development pillar of UNDP’s Strategic Plan. Its main focus is to help countries develop capacity to manage and mainstream environment into national, local, global, and regional policy and practice in support of sustainable development. The principal areas of work are in policy development and support, market mechanisms, adaptation to climate change, and local governance of resources, including energy. One flagship programme of EEG is the Africa Adaptation Programme (AAP), a $92M project funded by the government of Japan that was launched in partnership with UNIDO, WFP, and UNICEF in December 2008.
The AAP assists 20 African countries to promote integrated and comprehensive approaches to climate change adaptation. Objectives A Climate Specialist is needed to assist the overall goal/role of AAP HQ team, including to:
1. Promote the development of strategic partnership
2. Provide/facilitate strategic thinking
3. Facilitate knowledge capturing, coding and dissemination Duties and Responsibilities The Climate Specialist for AAP will report to the Programme Manager of Climate Change Adaptation. The main roles and responsibilities are as follows: Promote Strategic Partnerships (40%) Compile detailed progress reports gathering information from the Inter-Regional Technical Support Component (IRTSC) and Country Offices to share with the donor. Awareness-raising through international event coordination, including UNFCCC side events for AAP or side events during the UN General Assembly. Assist in the response to feedback from key partners and coordinate closely among UNDP/EEG and IRTSC for any collaborative actions necessary. Preparations for AAP programme board meetings and other key stakeholder meetings. Contribute to requests for information /inputs into partners’ draft documents (i.e. Nairobi Work Plan initiatives, ISDR stock-taking toward the Africa Regional Strategy for DRR, etc.). Screen existing/emerging climate change adaptation initiatives and identify potential partner organisations/initiatives for the AAP. Support the establishment of partnerships with the initiatives/organisations Provide / facilitate strategic thinking (cross-cutting, cutting-edge adaptation knowledge) (15%) Serve as a focus area and knowledge liaison between AAP and other UNDP/EEG projects. Provide added HQ assistance to AAP based on shared knowledge of UNDP/EEGs other initiatives. Work closely with Regional Bureaux of Arab States (RBAS) and Africa (RBA) to contribute to the strategy to meet the agenda of TICAD (Tokyo International Conference on African Development), particularly related to low-carbon growth and sustainable development in Africa. Contribute to the strategy and actions related to AAP on the path toward Durban 2011 (including side event preparations).
Facilitate knowledge capturing, coding and dissemination (30%) Draft and publish discussion papers on various aspects of climate change and sustainable human development, including:
- Stocktake articles/documents on specified topics;
- Review/analyse existing AAP product documents and other materials to identify emerging lessons learned in terms of processes and results;
- Support the development of discussion paper outline
- Draft discussion papers – Support peer-review procedures
- Disseminate discussion papers through various networks including Climate-L, EE-net, UNDP and AAP websites, ALM, etc. Corporate Competencies Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards; Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP; Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability; Treats all people fairly without favoritism. Communication Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience; Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed; Writes content effectively for a web-based platform. Knowledge Management and Learning Shares knowledge and experience and ability to develop lesson learned and best practices; Ability to produce high-quality outputs in a timely manner while understanding and anticipating the evolving client and project needs; Ability to translate scientific climate information into policy and practical guidance for a non-technical audience. Selection Criteria Education Masters degree in climate, environment, development, or related field required; Experience At least 2 years of relevant experience on climate change and development issues; Additional years of relevant work experience preferably in combination with a bachelor’s degree, may substitute for the requirement for a master’s degree ». Experience in researching and drafting publications, presentations, and other outreach products related to climate change and development; Experience in developing workshops and events for a range of audiences; Familiarity with UNDP’s strategic plan on climate change is an asset; Work experience in an international organization is desirable; familiarity with UNDP’s operational structure and hierarchy is an asset; Experience with developing countries is an asset; Experience in the use of computers and office software packages (Word, Excel, Power Point); Excellent knowledge of English, with demonstrated writing, presentation and communication skills; Other Requirements Demonstrated technical understanding of climate change and its relationship with development issues; Languages Excellent knowledge of English is essential. A good working knowledge of French would be an asset. Submission of Applications Qualified candidates may submit their application, including a letter of interest, complete Curriculum Vitae and an updated United Nations Personal History Form (P.11) (available on our website), to email@example.com. Kindly indicate the vacancy number and the post title in the subject line when applying by email. Additional Considerations Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified. Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a level below the advertised level of the post. For more information on UNOPS, please visit the UNOPS website at www.unops.org.
UNOPS North America Regional Office
The Chrysler Building
405 Lexington Avenue, 5th Floor
Tel: +1 212 457-4000
Incoming search terms for the article:
- Powered by Article Dashboard will county regional office of education
- Powered by Article Dashboard anticipation
- pligg content management system component
- Powered by Article Dashboard japanese cultures
- Powered by Article Dashboard japan information
- Powered by Article Dashboard 7th grade life science projects
- pligg content management system draft
- pligg content management system central regional office
- pligg content management system central regional
- pligg content management system brief history of philosophy