Job Vacancies United Nations Environment Programme
Position: Programme Assistant
Department/ Office UNITED NATIONS ENVIRONMENT PROGRAMME
Duty Station WASHINGTON
Closing Date: Friday, 26 August 2011
Job Opening number11-PGM-UN ENVIRONMENT PROGRAMME-20260-R-WASHINGTON
United Nations Core Values: Integrity, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity
Org. Setting and Reporting
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the United Nations system’s designated entity for addressing environmental issues at the global and regional level. Its mandate is to coordinate the development of environmental policy consensus by keeping the global environment under review and bringing emerging issues to the attention of governments and the international community for action. UNEP’s Division of Regional Cooperation (DRC) helps to implement UNEP’s global programs in the regions by initiating, coordinating and catalyzing regional and sub-regional cooperation and action in response to environmental problems and emergencies. This position is located in the Regional Office for North America (RONA), UNEP at the Washington duty station. Under the direct supervision of the Regional Director, the incumbent will perform the following tasks.
1. Supports the Regional Director in the monitoring and outreach functions to the United States (U.S.) and Canadian Executive branches; Assists by researching developments of interest to UNEP including appropriations and authorizing legislation, committee hearings and markups in the administrations and key agencies of both U.S. and Canadian governments; Assists in identifying key leaders, offices and staff, and in communication with government agencies; Arranges meetings with Government representatives; Assists in drafting of correspondence in appropriate language and funding proposals; Assists in preparation of legislative briefings and outreach materials in consultation with UNEP RONA’s outreach staff; Maintains a database of bills and legislation of importance to UNEP and databases for all outreach efforts.
2. Assists Regional Director to identify and maintain key contacts in agencies and organizations of interest to UNEP; Arranges and schedules meetings with key representatives of multilateral organizations, regional governmental organizations, non-governmental organizations, the private sector and individuals of interest to UNEP in the North American region; Organizes meetings for senior UNEP officials visiting the region; Ensures timely follow-up and delivery of materials and information; Arranges meetings with Government representatives.
3. Maintains Regional Director’s calendar and daily schedule; Arranges meetings and plan itineraries; Assists Regional Director in preparing and giving presentations; Screens visitors and calls for the Regional Director; Monitors actionable Executive Office Log Items and ensure timely and appropriate response; Ensures timely follow-up and delivery of materials and information; Assists the Regional Director in other related tasks as needed.
4. Perform other relevant duties as assigned.
Knowledge of general office and administrative support including administrative policies, processes and procedures. Shows pride in work and in achievements; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions;
Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Planning and Organizing:
Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
Completion of secondary education is required. Supplemental training in office or business administration or related field is desired.
At least 5 years experience in secretarial and/or administrative field, some experience with international organizations is required.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Working knowledge of French is desirable. Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.
Evaluation of qualified candidates for this position may include a substantive assessment which may be followed by a competency-based interview.
Appointment against this post is on a local basis. External candidates will be considered only when no suitable internal candidate from the duty station is identified. The candidate is responsible for any travel expenses incurred to take-up the appointment. Staff members are subject to the authority of and assignment by the SG. All staff are expected to move periodically to new functions in their careers in accordance with established rules and procedures.
All applicants are strongly encouraged to apply online as soon as possible after the job opening has been posted and well before the deadline stated in the job opening. Online applications will be acknowledged where an email address has been provided. If you do not receive an e-mail acknowledgement within 24 hours of submission, your application may not have been received. In such cases, please resubmit the application, if necessary. If the problem persists, please send an email to email@example.com, quoting the job opening number in the subject header of your email.
United Nations Considerations
The United Nations shall place no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. (Charter of the United Nations – Chapter 3, article 8). The United Nations Secretariat is a non-smoking environment.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.
Incoming search terms for the article:
- environment vacancies 2011
- environmental un- enviornment jobs
- united nation environment programme jobs
- United Nation Environmental Programme jobs