Job Vacancies United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
Position: Consultant: Coordinator, Knowledge Events and Communications
Closing Date: Thursday, 11 November 2010
Location: United States of America (The), New York
UNDP, as an MDG world leader helping countries build sustainable capacities to achieve their national development goals, along with the globally agreed eight MDGs, is also a world leader in knowledge management. The year 2010 marks a milestone in the direction taken by UNDP in becoming a knowledge organization. Accelerating and improving the process of knowledge sharing, at the global, regional and country levels, with other UN agencies, development partners, NGOs, centers of excellence, thought leaders and development entrepreneurs and strategists is a responsibility that UNDP is obliged to assume. In fact, UNDP sits often at the very epicenter of these exchanges, in its development work and as the leading UN coordination Agency.
A number of knowledge events are currently being planned by the Bureau for Development Policy/Knowledge Management Group (BDP/KMG), including regular webinars, Knowledge Café events and other live and online events. The largest of these is a three-day Global Knowledge Event to be held in Spring 2011 in the Arab States region to bring together internal stakeholders, global thinkers and KM advocates to review knowledge management concepts, systems and policies for transforming organizations into the most effective mechanisms for accelerating the pace of development. UNDP Administrator Helen Clark is expected to open the event and to share her vision in a panel on “Transforming UNDP into a Knowledge Organization”. UNDP leaders will be invited to lead clinics on a range of topics that could include: knowledge and results; knowledge sharing in conflict countries; knowledge for monitoring and evaluation; One UN Knowledge; enhancing skills and nurturing talent; knowledge and the learning conundrum; contextualizing south-south exchange at the regional level; the power of Storytelling; and many more. Sponsors of these topics will organize their interactive sessions for high level dialogue, allowing UNDP to capture the wealth of the debate and transform it into actionable policies and practices. The third day of the global event will put UNDP’s new knowledge management 2.0 platform
at the centre of knowledge sharing, leveraging current KM technologies to enhance service delivery and enable more effective mechanisms to provide upstream policy advice.
Duties and Responsibilities
* Primary responsibility for the coordination and implementation of all activities leading up to the Global Knowledge event, including making logistical arrangements for the venue and participants; the work is to be carried out primarily in New York with travel to the selected venue as necessary for coordination purposes;
* Development of all communication and advocacy materials required for the Global Knowledge Event, including marketing materials for use internally within UNDP and externally for high level participants across the wider UN system, academia, civil society, NGOs etc; Preparation of talking points for the participation by the Administrator and other high level speakers in the event;
* Supporting business sponsors in the preparation of their clinics, ensuring consistent quality of materials, and promoting active attendance of participants through the development of a captivating schedule;
* At the conclusion of the global knowledge event, ensuring all materials generated are gathered together for publication as a single knowledge product for use in operationalising what was learnt during the event, to assist in putting in place action-oriented and measurable milestones for taking UNDP to the next level as a knowledge-based organization.
In addition to the Global Knowledge Event, leading the development of a programme of other smaller scale knowledge events including regular webinars to support the activities of thematic knowledge network activities.
Project and Resource Management
* Ability to produce high quality outputs and in a timely manner while understanding and anticipating the evolving client needs.
* Ability to focus on impact and results for the client, promoting and demonstrating an ethic of client service.
* Strong organizational skills.
* Ability to work independently, flexibly and under pressure utilizing initiative.
* Sound judgment, strategic thinking and the ability to manage competing priorities.
* Flexibility in responding to changing priorities in a fast-paced environment.
Communications and Advocacy
* Ability to write clearly and convincingly, adapting style and content to different audiences and speak clearly and convincingly, demonstrating strong presentation skills in meetings, and adapting style and content to different audiences.
* Strong analytical, research and writing skills and demonstrated ability to think strategically.
* Strong advocacy and outreach skills and ability to communicate clearly and quickly.
* Strong inter-personal, negotiation and liaison skills.
Technical, Knowledge Management and Learning
* Substantive knowledge of Knowledge Management and Development Policy issues.
* Seeks and applies knowledge, information, and best practices from within and outside of UNDP.
* In depth understanding and experience in the use of social networking concepts for knowledge management
Partnership Building and Teamwork/Building
* Interdisciplinary and intercultural sensitivity and capacity to build strong relationships with partners and clients, using interpersonal skills to network effectively.
* Ability to liaise and network with diverse range of stakeholders (internal and external) and work as part of a team.
* Excellent interpersonal skills to support building networks and partnerships. Motivated and responsive to the needs of the country offices and peers.
* Ability to manage complexity and contribute effectively to team-based activities and manage conflict and stress productively.
* Demonstrated ability to excel in a multi-cultural team environment
Required Skills and Experience
* An advanced degree in a Development, Communication, or Knowledge Management-related field.
* Minimum of 5 years of relevant national/international working experience in International Development, Management, Knowledge Management, Communications, Organizational Management and/or related fields.
* Demonstrated experience coordinating large-scale events is essential.
* Experience in the field of knowledge management for development is strongly desirable.
* Extended experience in writing, research and analysis and their application.
* Prior experience with UNDP or another UN agency is highly desirable.
* Strong verbal and written communication skills required.
* Project management experience.
Fluency in English is required (written and verbal). Working knowledge of other UN official language(s) is desirable;
Fluency in Arabic would be an asset, since short travels to the Arab States are anticipated.
Applicants meeting the minimum requirements listed in the Terms of Reference will be short-listed and asked for price proposals. Interviews may be conducted and references taken up. The selection of the Consultant will be made in accordance with the quality- cost based selection method (70 % technical component and 30% price component).
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
United Nations Development Programme
304 East 45th Street
Telephone: (212) 909-7940
Incoming search terms for the article:
- www wateraffairs gov za
- Www water affairs gov za
- www wateraffairs gov za vacancies
- water affaırs
- www wateraffairs posts
- Wateraffairs gov za
- www wateraffairs
- www water affairs
- www water affairs gov