Job Vacancies United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
Position: Intern, Treasury Division, OFA
Location: United States of America (The), New York
Closing Date: Thursday, 31 March 2011
* The UNDP Treasury Division is a function within the UNDP Office of Finance and Administration that provides services to the organization in the areas of cash management; contributions management; investments; foreign exchange; and processing of payments & receipts. Additionally, Treasury provides services to five other UN entities.
* The Treasury Division has an opportunity for an intern to provide support and assistance for specified financial and management accounting initiatives with the aim of ensuring effective and transparent utilization of UNDP’s financial resources.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Intern will perform the following functions under the direct supervision of the Chief of Treasury Accounting, Treasury Division, Office of Finance and Administration (OFA).
* Review the appropriateness and efficiency of the automated interest allocation process which annually apportions a pool of interest to projects, including the following;
* Review and document the allocation program logic and algorithm; make recommendations as appropriate for improvements
* Review the process of gathering information used as inputs to the allocation process including exception identification and management and updating Fund Code reference numbers in the allocation tree
* Review the process of posting interest allocation results and recording post-allocation adjustments
* Review and document the impact IPSAS implementation will have on interest allocation
* Review guidelines on recording and utilization of interest and in consultation with the Manager, Financial Policy, create/update/revise as appropriate.
Review and revise the Donor Tree structure in the PeopleSoft ERP system including the following:
* Discuss and document the structure of the donor tree with SIS (Donor Reporting), PB (Partnership Bureau) and Contributions Unit (CU) and make changes as appropriate.
* Identify duplicate donor codes; document the impact of clean-up on historical data. Clean duplicates as agreed to by management. Review the process of establishing new donor codes and make recommendations to streamline the process.
* Identify inactive donor codes and disable the codes in the ERP system.
* Discuss with PB, SIS and CU any other changes required to the donor tree.
* Work with the SIS and IT colleagues to extract tree and donor details from PeopleSoft and OBIEE reporting tool
* Manipulate and reformat the extracted data in Excel
* Review existing POPP guidelines and procedures on request for new donor codes including existing “New Donor Form Request” and in consultation with the Manager, Financial Policy, and update/revise as appropriate.
Analysis of US Department of State Grants including:
* Communication with BCPR (Bureau for Crisis Prevention and Recovery) to establish status of grants and expenditures.
* Close out expired grants including completing necessary US Department of State forms
* Update PeopleSoft ERP to reflect status of all US Department of State Grants including entering a US Dept of State certification code in the PeopleSoft ERP system.
Performs other duties as instructed by the supervisor.
* Demonstrate integrity by adhering to UN values and ethical standards.
* Ability to work well in a team.
* Demonstrate professional competence and mastery of subject matter.
* Displays cultural, gender, religion, nationality and adaptability
* Operate in compliance with organizational regulations and rules.
* Basic understanding of financial and management accounting, including financial statements structures and how the figures in the financial statements are derived.
* Identify priority activities and adjust priorities as required.
* Excellent writing skills in English.
* Strong analytical skills.
* Strong IT skills; good knowledge of MS office applications
Required Skills and Experience
Interns are selected on a competitive basis. The following qualifications are required:
* Candidacy for an advanced degree in Business Administration, Commerce, Accounting. Finance or any other related discipline. The intern must be currently enrolled in an advanced university degree (Master’s degree).
* Relevant experience in accounting or finance an asset;
* Excellent writing skills in English;
* Strong analytical skills;
* Strong MS Office package skills
* Demonstrated the ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs
Fluency in English. Proficiency in another UN language would be an asset.
Conditions of the Internship
* Interns are considered gratis personnel. They are not staff members.
* Interns are not financially remunerated by UNDP. The costs associated must be borne by the nominating institution, related institution or government, which may provide the required financial assistance to its students; or by the student, who will have to obtain financing for subsistence and make his or her own arrangements for travel, accommodation, visa, etc.
Candidates who are shortlisted for an interview must submit prior to the interview, the following documents:
* Official letter from the University confirming enrollment in a graduate-level degree programme.
* Copy of school transcript.
* Letter of endorsement from a faculty member who has worked with the student in the recent past and who is knowledgeable on the student’s performance.
* Complete and sign the UNDP Application Form for Internships (MS Word | PDF). www.undp.org/internships
* Copy of the proof of medical and life/accident insurance valid for the location in which the internship will be carried out (i.e. New York, USA).
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply.
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
United Nations Development Programme
304 East 45th Street
Telephone: (212) 909-7940
Incoming search terms for the article:
- www webrelief com
- webrelief jobs
- webrelief vacancies
- webrelief com
- webrelief vacancy
- www webrelief org
- www webrelief org internship
- Accounting internship at gov za for 2011/2012