Job Vacancies United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
Position: Accounts Associate (IPSAS), Payroll Finance Unit, Accounts Division
Location: United States of America ( The ), New York
Closing Date: Friday, 22 July 2011
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Payroll Specialist, the Accounts Associate provides accounting services ensuring high quality, accuracy and consistency of work. The Accounts Associate promotes a client-oriented approach consistent with UNDP rules and regulations.
The Accounts Associate works in close collaboration with OFA, BES/SAS/OHR, country offices, partner agencies and the UN to exchange information and ensure consistent service delivery.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions:
* Provide support to the implementation of the International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS).
* Full compliance with UNDP’s rules, regulations and policies
* Produce periodic internal and external reports, in conformity with IPSAS requirements
* Ensure integrity of data in Atlas HCM and proper recording of Human Resource (HR) and financial transactions
* Participate in User Acceptance Testing (UAT) for IPSAS compliant recording and reporting of HR and financial transactions
* Ensure compliance with IPSAS in identification and recording of staff receivables, and other short and long-term liabilities
* Accuracy and timeliness in recording and reporting of staff related benefits and allowances, ensuring sound implementation of IPSAS standards
* Qualitative assessment of HR and finance data, for proper classification of accounts, including short and long-term liabilities
* Actively review staff related balance sheet accounts and perform account review and analysis
* Maintain adequate records and portfolio documentation
Reconcile liability transactions related to IPSAS in the HR and finance database:
* Prepare monthly schedules and reports for review by Team Leader
* Follow up on problem areas identified
* Give input to process simplification
* Backstopping of PFU Team Members during absence
Routinely monitor HR and Financial exception reports, highlighting transactional processes, practices, procedures or gaps that require review:
* Produce periodic reports for key HR elements
* Make recommendations to strengthen internal controls and improve business processes and work-flows.
* Provide input to recommendations to address procedural deficiencies
* Assist in special projects, as needed
Review payroll related accounts and prepare reconciliation reports, and aging analyses, where applicable, in conformity with IPSAS standards and requirements:
* Vigilant review of payroll accounts to ensure completeness of data and compliance with IPSAS standards
* Actively review reports to ensure accurate recording of transactions and follow up on unresolved items
* Follow up on aged items and take corrective action, maintaining adequate supporting documents
* Following up with other internal and external offices in problem-identification and making recommendations for resolution
* Provide support to the implementation of audit recommendations
Impact of Results:
The key results have an impact on the overall efficiency in UNDP financial management and success in the implementation of IPSAS and operational strategies. Accurate analysis and presentation of financial information enhances UNDP credibility in the use of financial resources and proper financial process management. It also provides assurance that the financial transactions are accurate and reliable.
* Demonstrates commitment to UNDP mission, vision and values
* Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
* Leads or contributes effectively in team-based activities; displays open, co-operative behavior
* Focuses on impact and results for the client, promoting and living by an ethic of client service
* Analyzes problems carefully and logically, leading to fact-based and practical recommendations
* Effectively applies existing knowledge to improve performance
* Managerial competencies – managing relationships , managing people development, managing complexity
Knowledge Management and Learning:
* Shares knowledge and experience
* Encourages office staff to share knowledge and contribute to UNDP practice areas
* Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Practice Areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
Development and Operational Effectiveness:
* Ability to perform a broad range of specialized activities related to financial resources management, including formulating budgets, maintaining Accounts Receivables and Accounts Payables, reporting.
* Sound knowledge of financial rules and regulations
* Strong IT skills
* Ability to provide input to business processes re-engineering, implementation of new system
Leadership and Self-Management:
* Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback
* Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
* Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexity
Required Skills and Experience
* Secondary Education with specialized certification in Accounting and/or Finance. University Degree in Accounting, Finance, or Business Administration would be desirable, but it is not a requirement.
* Part-qualified accountants from an internationally recognized institute of accountancy will have a distinct advantage.
* Long-listed candidates will be required to undergo the UNDP Accountancy and Finance Test
* Minimum 7 years of progressively responsible finance or accounting experience is required.
* Experience with ERP financials (preferably PeopleSoft) desirable.
Knowledge of IPSAS and/or IFRS is required.
* Experience in the usage of application software (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web based management systems.
* Fluency in both written and spoken English. Knowledge of another UN official language is desirable.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
United Nations Development Programme
304 East 45th Street
Telephone: (212) 909-7940
Incoming search terms for the article:
- newvision monday 1/august/2011 air uganda jobs
- Powered by Article Dashboard fact sheet
- Powered by Article Dashboard payroll compliance
- Powered by Article Dashboard fact
- ipsas july 2011
- financial manager account IPSAS UN job Geneva
- Powered by Article Dashboard famous vietnamese people
- Powered by Article Dashboard hcm
- Powered by Article Dashboard information age and information society
- Powered by Article Dashboard impact of computer