Job Vacancies United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
Position: Finance Specialist, Regional Management Team
Closing Date: Tuesday, 01 February 2011
Location: United States of America (The),New York
The Finance Specialist, Regional Management Team reports directly to the Manager, Regional Management Team and supports in the day to day supervision of the Finance Associates that closely monitors and supports the financial performance of the region.
The team is the first point of contact for the country offices seeking advice on financial issues in particular those relating to the financial dimension of project and programme management. The services provided includes financial management training, Atlas support, internal controls, financial planning support, report and query management, and programme resource management. In addition, the Specialist plays an active role in the monitoring, oversight, and control of the offices. In so doing, develops constructive relationships with client country offices to understand the reasons for strong/weak performance and develops strategies, in close consultation with the regional bureau to address problem areas.
Duties and Responsibilities
Advise country offices on options available and decisions to be made regarding optimal utilization and management of their financial resources.
* Optimal management of UNDP’s financial resources.
Supports the manager to oversee preparation analysis of country office’s financial and budgetary data in order to proactively advise on decisions to be made and corrective action.
* Adherence to UNDP’s financial and resource management policies.
Supports the Manager to oversee assistance to country offices in the interpretation and implementation of UNDP’s financial and resource management guidelines.
* Improved financial performance in terms of control, speed of response and data accuracy within the region.
Support the Manager to oversee the monitoring of performance of the country office accounting functions.
* Increase in the quality of country office staff through education and policy guidance.
Supports the manager to ensuring the effective and efficient management of regional wide financial issues
* More effective identification of problems and concerns both in countries and in headquarters.
Provide guidance and support towards the resolution of the identified problems and/or concerns.
The improvement of the quality of country office performance is key to the future of UNDP Finance activities. The result of a successful performance will be a significant reduction in the level of errors made at country level and thus in the level of work in the Head Office.
* Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values
* Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
* Knowledge of UNDP Financial Regulations and Rules, policies and procedures.
* Able to assess risks and correctly analyze the likelihood of them occurring. Able to then prioritize action to the risks with the biggest business impact
* Understanding of the working of ERP. Thorough professional and technical knowledge of ATLAS Modules
* Continuously look for ways to enhance financial performance within the region, and reduce errors and wastage
* Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules
* Strong understanding of regulatory frameworks and instruments
* Strong financial management and accounting skills
* Strong analytical skills and sound judgment;
* Strong IT skills, knowledge of management support software applications.
* Must be able to manage a team of diverse nationalities to respond quickly to areas of concern
* Developing and maintaining strong and productive business relationships with clients in the UN system, UNDP HQ, regional centers and Country Offices
* Ability to persuade country office management to adapt existing approaches and to acknowledge failings within their existing people and/or processes
Management and Leadership
* Ability to establish and spread best practices amongst the potential users.
* Ability to identify priority activities and adjusting priorities as required.
* Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals, thus enabling a client-oriented environment.
* Ability to effectively manage human and financial resources – results oriented. Responds positively to feedback and differing points of view;
* Proven skills and ability to identify issues, formulate opinions, draw conclusions and recommend solutions
* Remains calm whilst working effectively in stressful situations, Shows motivation and pursues continuous personal development and learning.
* Must be able to work as part of a multi level team of diverse nationalities to respond quickly to areas of concern.
* Developing and maintaining strong and productive business relationships with Country Offices, Bureau management and with other clients in the UN system, UNDP HQ etc.
* Proven ability to write in clear and concise manner and to orally communicate effectively;
* Ask questions to clarify situations and exhibits interest in having two-way communication. Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience.
* Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed;
* Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honors commitments.
* Delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards.
* Operates in compliance with the Financial Regulations and Rules.
* Supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments.
* Identifies issues in a complex situation, gathers relevant information before making decisions.
* Able to assess in discussions the capabilities of country level staff and determine where and how improvement needs to take place
* Takes decisions with an eye to the impact on others and on UNDP. Proposes a course of action or makes a recommendation based on all available information.
* Checks assumptions against facts. Determines that the actions proposed will satisfy the expressed and underlying needs.
Knowledge Management and Learning
* Encourages office staff to share knowledge and contribute to UNDP practice areas
* Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Practice Areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
* Seeks and applies knowledge, information and best practices from within and outside of UNDP;
* Provides constructive coaching, feedback and capacity building.
* Focus on the development of the capacities of the staff in the Country Offices in the region
Required Skills and Experience
* Advanced (Masters) University Degree in Finance, Accounting,
Business Administration, or a relevant discipline or a professional accounting qualification certificate from an internationally recognized institute of accountancy. Those with professional accounting qualification certificate from an internationally recognized institute of accountancy will have a distinct advantage.
Long-listed candidates will be required to undergo the UNDP Accountancy and Finance Test (UNDP AFT).
* Practical experience in providing financial management advisory services and/or managing staff and operational systems for 5 years at national and/or international levels.
* Working understanding of service delivery at the country-office level, managing and oversight of internal office operations.
* Familiar with the complexity of client relationships among international organizations, national governments and civil society.
* Hands-on experience with Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP), preferably with ATLAS (PeopleSoft) is desirable.
* Experience of IPSAS and/or IFRS is required for external candidates.
Fluency in both written and spoken English. Fluency in French or another UNDP working language an asset.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply.
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
United Nations Development Programme
304 East 45th Street
Telephone: (212) 909-7940
Incoming search terms for the article:
- undp accounting and finance test
- UNDP Accountancy and Finance Test
- UNDP AFT
- UNDP Advanced Accountancy & Finance Test
- undp advanced accountancy and finance test
- undp accounting and finance test undp aft
- undp AFT test
- UNDP Accounting and Finance Test (UNDP/AFT)
- undp accountancy & finance test