Job Vacancies United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
Position: UN Coherence Officer
Location: New York, United States Of America
Closing Date: Friday, 12 August 2011
The Division for United Nations Affairs (DUNA), Partnerships Bureau (PB), is responsible for communicating, advocating for and promoting the strategic interests of UNDP in key inter-governmental and inter-agency forums such as the General Assembly, the Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC), the Chief Executives Board (CEB) and its subsidiary bodies: the High Level Committee on Programmes and the United Nations Development Group and its subsidiary machinery. DUNA is the Administrator’s Sherpa for the CEB and the Sherpa for the Assistant Administrator and Director of the Partnerships Bureau for the United Nations Development Group. The Division is also responsible for official communications and developing partnerships with agencies of the UN system as well as Member States of the UN. DUNA keeps UNDP management apprised of key developments in inter-agency and inter-governmental bodies and ensures that delegations to inter-governmental bodies are properly briefed on UNDP matters as they negotiate legislation of strategic interest to UNDP.
Duties and Responsibilities
The following are the expected outputs of the consultancy:
* Develop recommendations on the next steps on driving development coordination at the country level;
* Develop recommendations on programmatic approaches to achieve the agreed recommendations (especially in the area of linkages and relations to other UN organizations);
* Develop a roadmap for taking forward agreed recommendations, including consultations with relevant UNDG colleagues;
* Develop and refine on an ongoing basis an outreach strategy that builds internal and system wide participation and engagement on implementing the agreed recommendations.
Proposed methodology of the consultancy:
* Desk review of existing documentation on UN reform and coherence, such as RC system policies and guidelines, synthesis of RC reports; and cross-reference of other organizational guidelines or strategies on UN reform/coherence, such as UNDP’s project on “Driving UN Development Coordination at the Country Level”, UNICEF’s tools for coherence, the Pacific regional project document and the One UN experience in Cape Verde;
* Liaise with the UNDG focal points and the regional Resident Coordination Officers, as necessary, to inform the analysis and recommendations;
* Consultation of member states to obtain guidance on their views on opportunities and challenges on UN reform and coherence;
* Meeting with DOCO;
* Consultations with UN specialized agencies on their coherence strategies.
* Demonstrated in-depth understanding of the challenges and dynamics related to the development agenda and the evolution of operational activities.
* Strong analytical, evaluative and writing skills.
Required Skills and Experience
* Academic degree in public administration, international relations or other related field.
* A minimum of 5 years of relevant experience;
* Demonstrated experience in policy development and programming.
* Fluency in English is required.
* Additional UN language, such as French or Spanish, is an added advantage.
Your application should include the following, otherwise it will not be considered:
* Complete CV/P11 including past experiences in similar projects and at least 3 references;
* A statement explaining why you are the most suitable candidate for the assignment;
* Financial proposal on a daily fee basis.
Cumulative analysis will be used. This method combines technical and financial proposal giving a weight of 70% to the technical aspect and 30% to the financial offer. Financial proposals will only be considered for candidates who meet the minimum 70% in the technical review stage.
Technical Evaluation Criteria:
* Understanding of the challenges and dynamics related to the development agenda and the evolution of operational activities: 35%
* Strong analytical, evaluative and writing skills: 35%
* Demonstrated experience in policy development and programming: 30%
Minimum Technical Points required to proceed to Financial Evaluation: 70 points
General Conditions of Individual Contracts (IC) can be accessed at: http://www.undp.org/procurement/operate.shtml#_Conditions_of_Contract
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
Handicap International asbl
Rue de Spa 67
1000 Bruxelles, Belgium
Tel: +32 2 280 16 01