Job Vacancies United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
Position: Senior Consultant, Business Services Centre
Location: United States of America (The)
Closing Date: Tuesday, 19 April 2011
The United Nations Development Operations Coordination Office (DOCO) supports the strategic priorities of the UNDG, and related coordination goals, and to meet DOCO’s responsibilities under the Management and Accountability (M &A) system, in furtherance of the TCPR framework. DOCO supports the UNDG at all levels to better support national partners in meeting the MDGs/IADGs and other critical national development priorities, specifically, the UNDG and its Advisory Group at Headquarters, Regional UNDG Teams, and RCs and UNCTs. In carrying out its responsibilities, DOCO works closely with other UN entities and stakeholders (including DPA, DPKO, DSS, WB, OCHA and the Policy Committee in case of crisis countries), and through various interagency mechanisms.
The Business Service Centre (BSC) is responsible for the effective and efficient delivery of essential business functions, to support organizational effectiveness. These functions include Finance, Human Resources, Procurement, ICT, Fund Management, Donor Liaison and Reporting and General Administration. The BSC is responsible for the management of the UN Country Coordination Fund (UNCCF) and resources to support UN Resident Coordinators (SRC funds). As the service provider of these functions in DOCO, the BSC works in support of Headquarters Support Team, Field Support Team and the Director.
The Chief, Business Service Centre reports to the Director for overall direction and guidance and is responsible for the leadership, management and oversight of all services delivered by the Business Centre and for the continuous development and improvement of business services operations, policies and methods to align with evolving DOCO strategy, business needs and stakeholders’ requirements.
Following a functional review undertaken in 2010, a new organizational structure of DOCO was approved and a first round of job fair was held late 2010. Unfilled vacancies were advertised for external recruitment early 2011. Until such time that the Chief, Business Services Centre post is filled, a senior consultant is required to undertake the duties and responsibilities of the post.
Duties and Responsibilities
* Serve as a member of the DOCO senior management team, providing expert advice to the Director and participate in strategic discussion and planning and contribute to change management and business development and improvements.
* Advise on coherence and capacity constraints requiring changes in internal business.
* Represent DOCO in Management meetings with the Bureau of Management on strategic issues and policy development.
* Ensure compliance of all DOCO operations with UNDP regulations and rules on Human Resources, Financial Management, Assets Management, Procurement, Travel, and program management, as well as ensures the strict application of the corporate Internal Control Framework.
* Set the policies, methods, procedures and systems for operations; introduce innovation and best practices to ensure optimum performance in Business Centre services.
Strategic planning, direction and management of the business services:
* Determine the strategy and develop the implementation plan for business services and develop the annual work plan and budget for the Business Services Centre.
* Constantly review and evaluate operational policies, procedures, methods, tools and associated systems to ensure its utility, applicability and efficacy in operational management.
* Recommend and/or develop enhancements and improvement to maintain productive and efficient services.
* Keep Director informed and advised on the strategic and operational aspects of the Business Centre services to maximize cost effectiveness and efficiency, and ensure client needs and expectations are met.
* Provide advice and coordinate the development of DOCO annual work plans, budgets and organizational and individual performance objectives; lead in, team-building, capacity-building, internal coherence and learning, coordinating with the Director and the other senior management members, ensure alignment with UNDG and DOCO work plans and objectives; continuously overseeing and encouraging staff efforts to achieve defined goals and objectives.
Advisory support and technical guidance:
* Collaborate with internal and external partners, colleagues and stakeholders to keep abreast of evolving trends, development and needs, share ideas for improvements and align services according to needs.
* Monitor and evaluate operating environment, take action to adjust to needs and ensure all stakeholders are advised on the legal considerations and risks assessment.
* Monitor compliance of all Resident Coordinators and their offices with UNDP regulations and rules applicable to global coordination funds on Human Resources and Financial Management.
Financial planning and operations management:
* Provide strategic advice to the Director on the expansion of the funding base and identify potential opportunities for partnerships aligned with internal financial plans.
* Monitor the financial implementation of thee DOCO work plan and provide the Director with periodic reports on implementation status.
* Propose changes to stakeholders on existing corporate policies to enhance the functioning of coordination operations and on issues of interest to DOCO operations.
* Manage the process of preparation of the global and internal financial and human resource plans to ensure the allocation of sufficient resources to deliver quality results.
* Establish the business work plan, management targets and required resources and oversee progress and delivery of services.
* Monitor the delivery of business services for achievement of quality results according to established rules, regulations, policies and procedures and ensure client needs and expectations are met.
* Keep track and evaluate the transparent, accurate and appropriate use of financial resources, both internal and global coordination funds, monitor and control expenditures to ensure optimum and appropriate use of resources.
* Ensure the availability of all required operational reports, monitor unusual activities and exception reports, investigate anomalies and resolve problems. Report to the supervisors and all stakeholders’ action taken or if additional action is required to resolve the problem.
Human Resource Management:
* Advise on human resources management, i.e. talent management, succession planning, recruitment, mobilization of bilateral funded posts (JPOs, Fellows, secondee, etc.), performance management and organizational development and learning; to ensure that DOCO staffing, skills, competencies and talents are aligned with DOCO business needs and plans.
* Contribute to the development and monitor the appropriate implementation of corporate and DOCO human resources strategies, policies and methods to ensure that DOCO remains an efficient and fair employer and that staff members are treated fairly and equitably.
* Manage and evaluate the efficiency, efficacy and transparency of the performance management cycle, take corrective action promptly.
* Promote and support a dynamic learning culture by empowering individuals and teams to identify critical learning needs, provide easy access to learning opportunities, facilitate the effective transfer of learning into practice and assess impact of learning on organizational and staff performance.
Administrative, procurement and logistics services
* Manage the acquisition, maintenance and protection of DOCO administrative facilities and assets.
* Ensure the availability of an appropriate environment for staff well being and performance.
* Develop and manage effective procurement strategies, supplier selection and evaluation, quality control, ensure the use of effective and innovative procurement mechanisms and establish good customer relations.
* Oversee all operational contractual arrangements and procurement processes to protect organizational assets and resources and to ensure that all legal commitments and risks are properly evaluated and acted upon according to UNDP policies and procedures and standards of ethics.
* Chair DOCO Contracts, Assets and Procurement Committee CAP.
Knowledge Management/Sharing and Capacity Building:
* Introduce innovation (including IT) in operations and lead the collection, assessment, codification and dissemination of best practices and lessons learned and knowledge products to enhance and sustain good management operations and practices.
* Develop strategic action plans and ensure implementation of activities to build and sustain knowledge, in the areas of functional responsibility.
Fund management, Donor Liaison and Reporting:
* Manage the global operations of the SRC and UNCCF and promote the Fund with existing and potential donors.
* Manages the cash flow and the associated risks of the SRC and UNCCF throughout the year.
* Manage agreements with Donors and transfers to the Fund.
Financial services to the Resident Coordinators:
* Manage the global process of resource planning, monitoring, distribution and reporting of resources to the RC functions.
* Advise DOCO senior management team on resources to support Resident Coordinators (SRC and UNCCF funds).
* Develop policies and proposals for Director, the Executive Board and UNDG on the assignment and utilization of SRC and UNCCF funds, including policies on human and financial resource management for global RC offices.
* Demonstrates and promotes the highest standards of integrity, impartiality, fairness and incorruptibility in all matters affecting his/her work, acting as a role model for all staff.
* Solid knowledge in financial resources, human resources management, contract, asset management and procurement, information and communication technology and general administration.
* Writes clearly and convincingly, adapting style and content to different audiences; speaks clearly and convincingly; strong presentation skills.
* Acts as role model in the application of best management practices; defines objectives and work flows; effective advice on organizational design and positioning of reporting relationships to obtain optimum effectiveness in office. guides and coordinates implementation of effective management policies.
* Advises and develops strategic and operational solutions for clients.
* Understands strategic direction and context in terms of management requirements and ensure alignment of management practices and procedures with office objectives.
* Develops, reviews and monitors agreements and trust funds which reflect outcomes of negotiations with donors and meet reporting requirements.
* Ability to provide advice in the design and implementation of change strategies/processes to enable the office to deal with change effectively; effectively implements organizational changes.
* Ability to contribute to the development of approaches to organizational learning and knowledge-sharing.
* Ability to contribute effectively as member of a senior management team to the setting and implementation of organizational priorities in a consultative process, and to lead teams in achieving them.
* Ability to develop Excel spreadsheet.
Required Skills and Experience
* Advanced degree in Business Administration, Management, Economics or other relevant disciplines.
* Minimum 10 years of extensive experience that combines strategic and managerial leadership in business management, planning and operations in a large international and/or corporate organization preferably in the UN system and its organizations.
* Fluency in oral and written English is required.
* Proficiency in another UN working language is desirable
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply.
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
United Nations Development Programme
304 East 45th Street
Telephone: (212) 909-7940
Incoming search terms for the article:
- un doco
- UN DOCO jobs
- undp requirements 2011
- jobs UN DOCO
- undp doco
- doco jobs
- business development vacancies in United nations
- Powered by Article Dashboard cycle to work scheme
- un doco vaancies
- DOCO functional review