Job Vacancies United Nations Development Programme
PERSONAL ASSISTANT TO THE REGIONAL DIRECTOR
Location : New York, UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
Application Deadline : 25-Mar-10
Type of Contract : TA Local
Languages Required :
Duration of Initial Contract : 3 months
United Nations Development Programme
304 East 45th Street
Telephone: (212) 909-7940
The overall purpose of this post is to ensure that the Regional Director receives the immediate administrative and operational support s/he needs to concentrate on his/her particular managerial functions. This post provides administrative support to the Regional Director in the day-to-day management of the Bureau, applying administrative rules and regulations and establishing internal operational procedures to enable the smooth functioning of the Director’s Secretariat. The incumbent works closely with the Special Assistant and the Personal Assistant of the Deputy Regional Director, to strengthen coordination and complementarities in the Office of the Director.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions:
1. Support the Director and the Front-office of RBLAC to strengthen it as the principal operational link between the Directorate and Bureau Divisions;
2. Quality communications support to the RBLAC Front-Office
1. Support the Director and the Front-office of the Bureau as the principal operational link between the Directorate and Bureau Units
* Develops and submits to the Special Assistant an action plan for the smooth functioning of the front-office;
* In liaison with the Special Assistant, agrees the type, level and nature of administrative procedures and systems to be applied at the level of the Secretariat, together with performance measures;
* Seeks out ‘best practices’ with regard to administrative, procedures, rules, regulations and systems, and makes relevant proposals to the Director and/or Special Assistant for their eventual application in the functioning of the front-office;
* Implements protocol procedures;
* Management of the Director’s missions and representation schedule;
* Maintenance of telephone lists and rosters of high-level partners;
* Drafting and preparation of correspondence, directives, comments on behalf of the Director for his/her signature and ensuring follow-up as needed;
* Use of automated office management systems for effective functioning of the Front-Office;
* Serves as secretary to meetings as requested by the Regional Director;
* Provides secretarial assistance to the Regional Director including drafting correspondence for his/her signature, receiving visitors and screening telephone calls and filling documents/correspondence and maintaining chronological files;
* Ensures availability of coverage and backstopping for the Special Assistant during peak times as well as for the Personal Assistant to the Deputy Regional Director on absences.
2. Ensures quality communications support to the RBLAC Front-Office
* Screens and distributes all incoming correspondence, faxes and e-mails addressed to the Regional Director and the Directorate, determines priority and allocation to the units and sets up, maintains a tracking systems for the directorate and follows up on action taken;
* Reviews, proofreads and edits all correspondence for proper clearance prior to the Regional Director’s signature;
* Ensures effective filing, including through automated filing systems, and ensuring safekeeping of confidential materials;
* Coordinates the information flow in the Directorate and follows up on circulation of files;
* Presentation of proposals to the Director and/or Special Assistant to eliminate communication bottlenecks in the Secretariat and streamline office procedures between the RBLAC Directorate and other RBLAC Headquarters units;
* Monitors and screens all communications and correspondence arriving in the Directorate, or leaving the Directorate to other units;
* Ensures that all information inquiries received by the Directorate are responded to in a timely and satisfactory manner.
Impact of Results
The key results of this job have a critical impact on the smooth functioning and overall effectiveness and efficiency of the Office of the Director, which is the central coordination hub of the Bureau and whose degree of organization and efficiency determines to a large extent the quality of the overall management of the Bureau. As the structure providing immediate support to the Director, the role of the Front-Office managed by this post is critical, and the incumbent is responsible and accountable for its smooth functioning and confidentiality
* Demonstrated commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values.
* Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
Knowledge Management and Learning
* Shares knowledge and experience
* Actively works towards continuing personal learning, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
Development and Operational Effectiveness
* Ability to perform a broad range of specialized activities aimed at effective and efficient functioning of a Regional Bureau Headquarters Front Office, including data/ schedule management, maintenance of protocol, information flow.
* Ability to extract, interpret, analyze data and resolve problems
* Ability to perform work of confidential nature and handle a large volume of work
* Good knowledge of administrative rules and regulations
* Strong IT skills, knowledge of Atlas
* Confidentiality, discretion, tact, politeness and helpfulness.
* Ability to provide input to business processes re-engineering, elaboration and implementation of new data management systems
* Leadership and Self-Management
* Focuses on results for the client and responds positively to feedback
* Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
* Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure
* Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
Selected candidate will be required to take UNDP’s mandatory training courses on Prevention of Harassment, Sexual Harassment and Abuse of Authority in the Workplace; The Gender Journey: Thinking Outside the Box; as well as the online UN Staff Security Training course within 2 months of their assuming their functions in this position.
Required Skills and Experience
* Secondary education. Certification in administration desirable. University Degree in Business or Public Administration desirable, but it is not a requirement.
* At least 7 years of relevant experience in administration or programme experience is required at the national or international level within the United Nations Common System.
* Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, ATLAS, etc), experience in handling of web based management systems.
* Fluency both written and verbal in English and Spanish. Knowledge of another UN Official Language is an asset.
Incoming search terms for the article:
- Personal assistant United Nations
- personal assistant un
- special asst at un
- personal assistant jobs in United Nations
- personal assistant at united nations
- un personal assistant
- Personal Assistant jobs united nations
- United Nations self development courses
- personal assistant job latin america
- personal assistant UNITED NATIONS DEVELOPMENT PROGRAM