Job Vacancies United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF)
Position: Education Cluster Coordination Roster
Location: United States of America ( The ), New York
Closing Date: Tuesday, 01 November 2011
Job Vacancies Purpose of the Position
The purpose of this announcement is to attract suitable candidates to be included on UNICEF’s e-Global Web Roster (e-GWR). The e-GWR is used by UNICEF to identify candidates to deploy to countries in emergencies on short term assignments. Therefore, it is not a regular vacancy announcement but rather an outreach campaign to attract candidates interested in short term emergency assignments. Candidates with suitable emergency profiles will be placed on the e-Global Web Roster to be considered for short term (3-6 Months) emergency assignments worldwide. Candidates will be responsible for periodically updating their profiles so that recruiters may view candidates’ most recent work experience. In case of emergency in any of the UNICEF programme countries, candidates considered for emergency assignments will receive e-mail queries of interest and availability from UNICEF DHR Emergency Unit. Candidates will:
- be expected to deploy within 1 to 2 weeks from confirming to UNICEF DHR Emergency Unit their interest and availability;
- be deployed on 2 to 6 month assignments on a Temporary Appointment (TA) or consultancy (SSA) contracts (for external applicants);
- or be deployed on 1 to 3 month missions (for internal applicants).
Job Vacancies Key Expected Results
The objective of a country-level Education Cluster is to ensure a timely, coherent and effective education response by mobilizing stakeholders to respond in a strategic manner to a humanitarian crisis. Guided by the IASC ‘Generic Terms of Reference for Sector Leads at Country Level’ Cluster Coordinators will lead and facilitate this process through:
- inclusion of key humanitarian partners;
- establishment and maintenance of appropriate humanitarian coordination mechanisms;
- coordination with national/local authorities, state institutions, local civil society and other relevant actors;
- ensuring appropriate participatory and community-based approaches;
- ensuring appropriate attention to priority cross-cutting and cross-sectoral issues (e.g. gender, ECD, HIV and AIDS, Early Recovery);
- undertaking needs assessment and analysis;
- coordinating sector-wide emergency preparedness;
- undertaking planning and strategy development;
- ensuring the application of appropriate standards;
- ensuring monitoring and reporting;
- undertaking advocacy and resource mobilization;
- undertaking training and capacity building; and
- provision of assistance or services as a last resort subject to access, security and availability of funding.
The Education Cluster Coordinator will work impartially with all members of the Education Cluster and serves and represents the group as a whole, not an agency. The Education Cluster Coordinator will work to ensure all relevant education sub-sectors are included in preparedness and response (ECD, primary/basic education , secondary and non-formal education , higher education ), as appropriate to the context. The Education Cluster Coordinator will work closely with the UN Humanitarian/Resident Coordinator or their designated official as required.
Job Vacancies Qualifications of Successful Candidate
1. Education. Advanced university degree in one or more of the disciplines relevant to the following areas: Education; Primary Education , or a Social Sciences fields relevant to international development assistance. A first level university degree in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
2. Work Experience. At least 3 to 8 years of professional work experience at national and international levels in education programmes including at least 2 years of substantive relevant experience in emergency countries dealing with major natural and humanitarian emergencies (ex. Afghanistan, Haiti, Pakistan, Somalia, Sudan, DR Congo etc.). Familiarity with the UN system is desired. Experience of working with UNICEF is highly desirable.
3. Demonstrable professional technical expertise in education in emergencies, early recovery and post-crisis transition. In depth understanding of and training in the INEE Minimum Standards for education in emergencies.
4. Formal training in cluster co-ordination and/or demonstrable experience of effective high level co-ordination and chairing of meetings.
5. Excellent advocacy skills particularly in relation to advocating for education provision in humanitarian crises. Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
6. Demonstrable understanding of international humanitarian response architecture, co-ordination mechanisms, humanitarian reform and action. Understanding of the humanitarian funding mechanisms including (i.e. Consolidated Appeals Process, Central Emergency Response Fund and Flash Appeals).
7. Language Proficiency. Fluency in English and a second UN language is desired. Fluency in French and/or Spanish is highly desired.
Job Vacancies Competencies of Successful Candidate
- Ensure exchange of information, experience, help identify new strategies and courses of action to accelerate/improve delivery of services and achieve Education programme requirements and objectives. Conduct field visits to monitor programmes and collect information. Conduct periodic programme reviews with Government counterparts and other partners.
- Collaborate with Communication and Programme Communication groups to ensure development of effective communication materials and strategies to support advocacy and social mobilization efforts.
- Support coordination with Regional Advisers and HQ Officers. Collaborate with other Programme colleagues to ensure the integration of the project/sectoral programme with other sectors.
- Collaborate with the Operations and Supply Sections and Government authorities to establish and maintain sound internal controls supportive of the Education projects planning and implementation, to coordinate financial and supply management requirements as well as to ensure accountability.
- Interact with Government and other partners, NGOs, UN and bilateral agencies in the different stages of Education programme/project implementation to follow up on agreements and recommendations. Provide technical support and guidance on appropriate technical, financial and institutional capacity building measures to achieve Education programme goals.
Job Vacancies Remarks
This is not a regular FT, TA or SSA position. The purpose of this advertisement is to build and expand UNICEF’s Global Web Roster of potential candidates suitable for short-term emergency assignment.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.
Job Vacancies UNICEF
633 3rd Avenue
New York, NY
Incoming search terms for the article:
- pligg content management system religious cross in nature
- emergency education vacancy
- vacancies United nations agencies DR Congo
- united nations jobs on clusters development coordination
- unicef jobs for burmese childrens education
- unicef dhr emergency unit
- unicef dhr
- unicef congo/vacancy
- unicef com/vacancy/deploy
- Terms of Reference education cluster coordinator UNICEF