Job Vacancies United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF)
United Nations Children’s Fund
Position: Communication Specialist
Closing Date: Friday, 13 August 2010
Location: United States of America (the) – New York, NY
Purpose of the Position
As part of a team headed by the Chief, Media Section, you will be responsible for developing, implementing and monitoring communication strategies and managing and releasing information on a regular and on-going basis to media organizations worldwide about issues of concern to the organization, with particular focus on child survival.
Responsibilities include advising senior UNICEF staff on media strategy and implications for action and policies proposed; ensure rapid and accurate information dissemination to the media, National Committees, NGOs, the field and other appropriate audiences; plan and organize press conferences; develop media and brief materials; actively developing and maintaining relations with international media organizations; prepare internal documents to assist in responding to media queries; monitor, advise on and responding to issues relating to the work of UNICEF with a view to increasing awareness of UNICEF in the international media.
Key Expected Results
Policy and programme articulation
1. You will participate in policy discussion and task force meetings on child survival, advise senior staff on information and media strategies and responses.
2. Alert senior staff to emerging child survival issues being covered by media and implications of UNICEF action/inaction for media visibility and image.
1. You will generate media support and coverage on child survival through ongoing, proactive outreach and response to media inquiries.
2. Maintain day-to-day relations with UN Press Corps, international media outlets and others, through both personal contacts and through National Committees and the Geneva office, in order to promote the placement of media stories on UNICEF issues. Contribute to development and management of DOC contact database of key journalists/organizations.
Research and Writing
1. You will draft or coordinate the drafting of media materials such as press releases, articles, Op Eds, Q&As and other major corporate communication materials, often for signature by the Executive Director and for both internal and external audiences.
2. Co-ordinate the research within the media section on high-profile UNICEF issues, specifically child survival.
1. You will perform the functions and fill in for other communication officers when required.
2. Undertake other duties assigned by supervisor.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
Advanced University Degree in Communication, Journalism, Public Relations or a related discipline.
Eight years progressively responsible professional work experience in information/communications or media relations field, at least four of which should be in an international setting. Knowledge of international media, good understanding of health and development issues, world affairs and current events. Broad-based knowledge and experience with both print and electronic media.
Fluency in English and another UN language.
Competencies of Successful Candidate
Has highest-level communication skills, including engaging and informative formal public speaking.
Able to work effectively in a multi-cultural environment.
Sets high standards for quality of work and consistently achieves project goals.
Has good leadership and supervisory skills; co-ordinates group activities, ensuring that roles within the team are clear.
Quickly builds rapport with individuals and groups; maintains an effective network of individuals across organizational departments.
Translates strategic direction into plans and objectives.
Negotiates effectively by exploring a range of possibilities.
Demonstrates and shares detailed technical knowledge and expertise.
Seeks and proposes opportunities for advancing UNICEF’s mission.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and gender equality in its workplace. Women and nationals of developing countries are strongly encouraged to apply.
How to apply
If you want a challenging career while improving the lives of children around the world UNICEF, the leading children’s rights organization, would like to hear from you.
Visit us at www.unicef.org/about/employ to register in our new e-Recruitment system and apply to this and other vacancies, quoting E-VN-2010-001652. Applications must be received by 13 August 2010.
Please note that only candidates who are under serious consideration will be contacted.
In the selection of its staff, UNICEF is committed to gender balance and diversity without distinction as to race, sex or religion, and without discrimination of persons with disabilities: well qualified candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Reference Code: RW_87QPJA-38
Incoming search terms for the article:
- www unicef org bd
- www unicef bd org
- unicef org bd
- www unicef org bd/jobs
- www unicefbd org
- unicef careers
- www unicef org bd jobs
- UN media jobs
- unicef bd org
- unicef communication specialist