Job Vacancies United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF)
United Nations Children’s Fund
Position : Senior Adviser Health (Polio)
Closing Date: Friday, 06 August 2010
Location: United States of America (the) – New York, NY
Purpose of the Position
Under the guidance of the Senior Adviser Immunization (Chief Immunization), you will be responsible for the technical guidance, planning, coordination and management of the Polio Eradication Program activities in PD/Health in the context of UNICEF’s Medium Term Strategic Plan under Key Result Area 1: Young Child Survival and Development.
Key Expected Results
1. Provides leadership and vision at UNICEF Headquarters for policy and strategy on polio eradication and immunization. Provides technical and policy advice to Executive Office, Programme Director’s Office, and Regional Management Teams to apprise senior level staff of situation, policy and programme direction on polio eradication. Provides oversight to ensure that UNICEF’s contributions to polio eradication are of the highest possible quality and conform to UNICEF commitments and agreements with other agencies. Ensures that UNICEF positions itself appropriately to engage in polio eradication, with a special focus on communication strategies.
2. Acts as the main UNICEF focal point for all UNICEF activities related to polio eradication.
End Result(s): UNICEF is recognized as a key partner of, and contributor to, polio eradication.
3. Directs, supervises and manages a group of professional and support staff engaged in polio eradication activities at global level. Holds overall responsibility for UNICEF’s contribution towards global polio eradication.
4. Oversees the coordination with Supply Division, PFO, DFAM, and other key units within UNICEF on issues pertaining to vaccines, supply and operational costs for polio eradication activities.
5. Directs UNICEF global level staff, and guides regional and country offices to plan, program, implement and monitor polio eradication programme activities by providing specific technical and policy guidance to national counterparts and UNICEF staff, reviewing country programme documents and national plans, undertaking country support missions, responding to specific queries regarding technical and policy issues raised by country and regional offices, and assisting in addressing bottlenecks on polio eradication related issues.
6. Oversees close follow-up of program activities through appropriate monitoring systems, regular contacts with and feedback to/from country and regional offices, and other mechanisms. Ensures high-quality implementation of UNICEF’s key contributions towards polio eradication.
End Result(s): UNICEF contributes high-quality activities to polio eradication
7. Provides guidance to selected countries on activities aimed at eradicating polio and improving the delivery of routine vaccination and linked interventions, including the monitoring and following up of such activities.
8. Ensures evidence and data are made available for use in communications activities that are aimed at improving immunization coverage and polio eradication.
9. Encourages and explores studying efforts towards innovative service delivery and health system strengthening strategies.
End Result(s): Contribution to strengthen the use of immunization as a platform for increasing coverage of other priority interventions.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
- Advanced university degree in the health or social/behavioural sciences Training in public health and/or management an advantage.
- Ten years of progressively responsible and relevant professional work experience.
- International and national work experience in developing countries.
- Proven track record of team management and leadership.
- Peer-reviewed publications in the field of health, or social sciences are a definite asset.
- Knowledge of statistical software and research tools; Website development.
- Fluency in English and another UN language is required.
Competencies of Successful Candidate
- Has highest-level communication skills, including engaging and informative formal public speaking.
- Creates and encourages a climate of team-working and collaboration in a multi-cultural environment.
- Consistently achieves high-level results, managing and delivering projects on-time and on-budget.
- Has high-level leadership and supervisory skills; provides others with a clear direction; motivates and empowers others; recruits staff of a high caliber; provides staff with development opportunities and coaching.
- Sets, develops and revises organizational strategy and develops clear visions of the organization’s future potential.
- Analyzes and integrates diverse and complex quantitative and qualitative data from a wide range of sources.
- Quickly builds rapport with individuals and groups. Actively nurtures good relationships with people across all organizational levels and boundaries, and with government leaders and stakeholders.
- Identifies urgent and potentially risky decisions and acts on them promptly; initiates and generates organization-wide activities.
- Negotiates effectively by exploring a range of possibilities.
- Re-advertisement. Applicants who had applied previously will be considered and need not re-apply.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and gender equality in its workplace. Women and nationals of developing countries are strongly encouraged to apply.
How to apply
If you want a challenging career while improving the lives of children around the world UNICEF, the leading children’s rights organization, would like to hear from you.
Visit us at www.unicef.org/about/employ to register in our new e-Recruitment system and apply to this and other vacancies, quoting E-VN-2010-001608. Applications must be received by 06 August 2010.
Please note that only candidates who are under serious consideration will be contacted.
In the selection of its staff, UNICEF is committed to gender balance and diversity without distinction as to race, sex or religion, and without discrimination of persons with disabilities: well qualified candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Reference Code: RW_87HQZ5-87
Incoming search terms for the article:
- unicef sri lanka vacancies
- plan sri lanka vacancies
- www unicef org/about/employ
- unicef ethiopia vacancy
- www unicef org/employ
- www unicef org vacnancy form sri lanka
- vacancies in unicef in sri lanka
- unicef ethiopia vacancies
- unicef sri lanka jobs
- unicef sri lanka office