Job Vacancies United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF)
Position: Senior Network Assistant (Data Storage Administrator), ITSS
Location: United States of America ( The ), New York
Closing Date: Monday, 30 January 2012
Purpose of the Position
Under the supervision of the Network Server Administration Manager, the Sr. Network Assistant (Data Storage Administration) will provide technical and operation support for storage management in UNICEF New York Headquarters. Administer and monitor the Storage Area Network (SAN) technologies to support production and development processing for all New York and Global applications hosted in the NYHQ based primary and secondary data centres.
MINIMUM ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS:
NON-US CANDIDATES MUST BE IN POSSESSION OF A US G4 VISA OR BE A US PERMANENT RESIDENT
Key Expected Results
1. Administer, monitor and maintain UNICEF’s SAN operations environment daily (all SAN-related hardware and software, Windows and HP Unix operating systems, HP Proliant Servers, HP Integrity Blades and ESX Blades for VMware environment). Manage storage (LUNs, partitions, volumes), system capacity, storage provisioning, physical connections, Brocade Switches and MPRs, configuration management, CA replication, problem investigation and rectification.
2. Provide technical support to users (system and application owners) on SAN-related matters. Service requests for disk storage resources to support the production, development and test environments for VISION, Performance Management, File & Print, and other UNICEF business applications hosted on the SAN. Ensure service calls are reflected in the incident management system (i.e. Service Manager) and monthly reports on activities are undertaken. Undertake regular problem management reviews identifying prime causes of failure and removing their underlying causes. Identify known errors with their resolutions and report these to the Help Desk and Data Centre Operations. Work with the Help Desk to reduce call volumes and improve service to end-users.
3. Assist in establishing pro-active monitoring procedures and processes for SAN-related hardware and software via real-time monitoring tools. This includes but is not limited to HP EVA Command View real-time monitoring features, as well as the configuration, distribution, and maintenance of all HP OpenView monitoring templates and agents. Review, test and document latest patches and fixes from vendors such as HP and Microsoft and implement them at NYHQ.
4. Coordinate between the various application teams and outside vendors timely repairs with minimal impact to the SAN production environment. Participate in the regular reviews of vendor services.
5. Maintain SAN documentation, procedures and processes for SAN administration. Provide documentation, operations level training, guidance and support to various units within the IT Operations Section.
6. Participate in storage capacity planning, storage needs and policies assessment, continuity of business, and data migration to new technology platforms. Support organizational disaster recovery plan and its periodic testing.
7. Perform other duties as assigned by the supervisor and/or Chief, IT Operations.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
- Completion of secondary education (High School Diploma) supplemented with university level courses in Computer Science, Engineering, Telecommunications, or relevant discipline. Specialized or advanced training in Windows and UNIX server operating systems, networking and telecommunications technologies.
Required technical skills: Hardware: EVA8400, P6500, Brocade Switches (including 4100 and 5100 switches), MPRs, fabric zoning, HP Proliant Servers, HP Integrity Blades and ESX Blades. Software: StorageWorks, Windows Clustering, HP OpenView, Storage Area Manager, Windows 2003/2008, HP Unix, VMWare, HP EVA Command View.
Knowledge of ITIL methodology is required. Other IT Industry certifications are an asset.
Seven (7) years practical relevant work experience in server and storage operations support.
In-depth knowledge and experience of SAN Storage architectures supporting a global environment from multiple remote sites comprising TCP/IP networks across LAN and WAN environments.
Practical experience in systems administration and operations, configuration, problem resolution and software implementation involving Storage Area Networks (SAN), HP-UX and Windows operating systems.
Broad exposure to substantive IT systems work reflecting elements of major IT developments of the last 10 years; Storage and virtualization technologies, client/server computing and applications, database administration/engineering, operating systems development, internetworking.
Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language (French, Spanish) desirable.
Competencies of Successful Candidate
- Communicates effectively to varied audiences, including during formal public speaking.
Able to work effectively in a multi-cultural environment.
Sets high standards for quality of work and consistently achieves project goals.
Analyzes and integrates potentially conflicting numerical, verbal and other data from a number of sources.
Demonstrates and shares detailed technical knowledge and expertise.
Sets clearly defined objectives and plans activities for self, own team or department.
Ensures that team or department follows relevant company policies and procedures.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.
UNICEF 633 3rd Avenue New York, NY (212) 497-0193
Incoming search terms for the article:
- Powered by Article Dashboard telecom jobs
- Powered by Article Dashboard networking software
- pligg content management system free data recovery software
- pligg content management system hitpoints
- pligg content management system telecom jobs
- Powered by Article Dashboard computer technology 2003 articles
- Powered by Article Dashboard telecommunication jobs
- Powered by Article Dashboard performance management system
- Powered by Article Dashboard telecom
- Powered by Article Dashboard process performance management