Job Vacancies United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF)
United Nations Children’s Fund
Position: Senior Adviser, Child Protection (In Emergencies)
Closing Date: Friday, 28 January 2011
Location: United States of America (the) – New York
Purpose of the Position
Under the guidance of the Associate Director, Child Protection, you will provide programme guidance and technical support to enhance UNICEF’s policy and programming on child protection in emergencies both in armed conflict and natural disaster contexts, including through the formulation and development of relevant tools that will strengthen the capacity of UNICEF field staff and partners on the protection of children in humanitarian emergencies and their coordination with other child protection actors.
Key Expected Results
1. You will develop programme knowledge acquisition through systematic collection of country programme experience (programmes, lessons learned and best practices, evaluations) in the protection of children in humanitarian emergencies, with particular attention to areas covered by UNICEF Core Commitments for Children in Humanitarian Action for child protection. Disseminate and update existing tools in view of building capacity in the field.
Strengthen capacity at country and regional levels through solid and grounded technical expertise and tools provided to the field. The collected body of knowledge will provide a solid base of information that can be shared and replicated across countries.
2. You will provide technical support to regional and country offices in the planning, development and implementation of stages of programming for the protection of children in humanitarian emergencies, within the framework of UNICEF’s MTSP and CCCs.
Child protection components of Consolidated Appeals in line with updated CCCs, child protection prioritized as appropriate in the allocation of resources, including through Emergency Programme Fund and Central Emergency Revolving Fund.
3. You will provide supervision and guidance to a team of child protection specialists in emergencies. In consultation with them, set individual and team objectives and provide regular performance feedback. Responsible for managing funds allocated to the cluster, by prioritizing activities to be funded, in line with AWP, and ensuring efficient and timely usage of funds vis-a-vis PBA expiration dates.
Realization of activities in line with AWP, including timely usage of funds.
4. You will strengthen and maintain links with key UNICEF partners at the global level, including members of the global protection cluster and child protection working group, the Office of the SRSG-CAAC, other UN agencies, ICRC, NGOs, World Bank academic institutions and universities, and keep abreast of new trends and activities.
Partnerships bring about required inter-agency tools developed either through the cluster or through the framework established for monitoring and reporting of grave violations; key partners are engaged proactively on issues related to protecting children in humanitarian emergencies, and these partnerships are leveraged to achieve greater results for children.
5. You will provide technical advice to senior management on issues related to the protection of children in humanitarian emergencies.
Technical advice to senior management will result in heightened advocacy around the work of child protection in humanitarian emergencies.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
Advanced university degree in law, social sciences or related technical field is required.
Ten years of progressively responsible professional work experience at national and international levels in programme planning, management, monitoring and evaluation, in areas related to child protection in armed conflict and other humanitarian emergencies, with substantial field experience, is required.
Fluency in English and another UN language.
Competencies of Successful Candidate
Has highest-level communication skills, including engaging and informative formal public speaking.
Creates and encourages a climate of team-working and collaboration in a multi-cultural environment.
Consistently achieves high-level results, managing and delivering projects on-time and on-budget.
Has high-level leadership and supervisory skills; provides others with a clear direction; motivates and empowers others; recruits staff of a high caliber; provides staff with development opportunities and coaching.
Sets, develops and revises organizational strategy and develops clear visions of the organization’s future potential.
Analyzes and integrates diverse and complex quantitative and qualitative data from a wide range of sources.
Quickly builds rapport with individuals and groups. Actively nurtures good relationships with people across all organizational levels and boundaries, and with government leaders and stakeholders.
Identifies urgent and potentially risky decisions and acts on them promptly; initiates and generates organization-wide activities.
Negotiates effectively by exploring a range of possibilities.
Re-advertisement. Candidates who had applied previously will be considered and need not re-apply.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.
How to apply
If you want a challenging career while improving the lives of children around the world UNICEF, the leading children’s rights organization, would like to hear from you.
Visit us at www.unicef.org/about/employ to register in our new e-Recruitment system and apply to this and other vacancies, quoting E-VN-2010-002750. Applications must be received by 28 January 2011.
Please note that only candidates who are under serious consideration will be contacted.
In the selection of its staff, UNICEF is committed to gender balance and diversity without distinction as to race, sex or religion, and without discrimination of persons with disabilities: well qualified candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
633 3rd Avenue
New York, NY
Reference Code: RW_8CUMDW-15
Incoming search terms for the article:
- unicef cotabato
- NGO JOBS COTABATO
- ngo jobs in cotabato city
- vacancy in ngos based in cotabato 2012
- ngo jobs in cotabato
- ngo job openings in cotabato city
- NGO Job vacancies in cotabato city
- job vacancy in ngos based in cotabato city
- child protection jobs 2011