Job Vacancies United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF)
United Nations Children’s Fund
Position: Nutrition Specialist (Emergencies)
Closing Date: Friday, 18 February 2011
Location: United States of America (the) – New York
Purpose of the Position
Under the overall direction of the Senior Advisor, Nutrition Security/Emergency, you will be responsible for the development of global, regional and country level plans and activities to strengthen UNICEF’s capacity to deliver effective nutritional support in emergency situations; provide technical assistance to Regional Offices and as appropriate, Country Offices so that there is adequate and appropriate support, both in addressing acute emergencies and in programming to mitigate the nutritional impact of chronic and complex emergencies.
Key Expected Results
1. You will coordinate within the organization and collaborate with other UN agencies and academic institutions the development of global training materials for health and nutrition in emergencies and CMAM implementation. In addition, coordinate development of technical capacity of UNICEF staff through training activities.
2. You will monitor the nutrition situation in emergency countries, with focus on CMAM programming and provide guidance on priority actions to be taken. Prepare/review project proposals of nutrition aspects for Emergency assistance and CMAM programming
3. You will provide direct technical support to countries including field visits and provide guidance in the development and preparation of country programmes, as appropriate.
4. You will participate in the development of joint policies and guidelines for appropriate provision of nutrition response in emergencies, in coordination with other UN agencies and relevant NGOs, and CMAM programme.
5. You will participate in monitoring and evaluation of the emergency response (nutrition component) to ensure achievement of the organization’s objectives in this area.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
Advanced university degree in health, nutrition, agriculture, or social sciences with expertise in food policy or nutrition issues.
Eight years progressively responsible experience in research, programme management or advisory support in the area of rural development, agriculture, or food policy at national level at least 3 years at international level. Proven experience in managing emergencies is an asset.
Fluency in English and another UN language. Knowledge of French or Spanish desirable.
Competencies of Successful Candidate
Communicates effectively to varied audiences, including during formal public speaking.
Able to work effectively in a multi-cultural environment.
Sets high standards for quality of work and consistently achieves project goals.
Has good leadership and supervisory skills; co-ordinates group activities, ensuring that roles within the team are clear.
Translates strategic direction into plans and objectives.
Analyzes and integrates diverse and complex quantitative and qualitative data from a wide range of sources.
Quickly builds rapport with individuals and groups; maintains an effective network of individuals across organizational departments.
Identifies urgent and potentially difficult decisions and acts on them promptly; initiates and generates team- and department-wide activities.
Demonstrates, applies and shares expert technical knowledge across the organization.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.
How to apply
If you want a challenging career while improving the lives of children around the world UNICEF, the leading children’s rights organization, would like to hear from you.
Visit us at www.unicef.org/about/employ to register in our new e-Recruitment system and apply to this and other vacancies, quoting E-VN-2011-000158. Applications must be received by 18 February 2011.
In the selection of its staff, UNICEF is committed to gender balance and diversity without distinction as to race, sex or religion, and without discrimination of persons with disabilities: well qualified candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
633 3rd Avenue
New York, NY
Reference Code: RW_8DXT9Y-59
Incoming search terms for the article:
- UNICEF nutrition jobs
- un nutrition jobs
- united nations nutrition jobs
- career unicef
- UN nutritionist jobs
- Nutrition jobs in UNICEF
- un nutrition job
- united nations jobs nutrition
- jobs in unicef in 2011
- united nation children fund regional advisor nutrition