Job Vacancies United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF)
Position: Human Resources Manager (Surge Capacity)
Location: United States of America ( The ), New York
Closing Date: Thursday, 15 September 2011
Job Vacancies Purpose:
In the humanitarian context, surge capacity relates to UNICEF’s ability to scale-up quickly and effectively to meet increased demand of expertise in the field to meet UNICEF Core Commitments for Children in Emergencies (CCCs), in any given country of territory. In the capacity of Surge Capacity Manager, provides operational response for major emergencies and supports UNICEF senior management on the development of emergency preparedness, rapid response in achievement of UNICEF’s CCCs and commitments in the IASC Cluster Approach. Manages and coordinates DHR Surge initiatives and provides technical guidance and oversight to the field based Emergency Focal Points in Regional Offices. This is achieved through further developing a culture of knowledge and learning within UNICEF on Surge Capacity systems and through continuous development of established and new Surge Capacity tools such as the CCC’s, the Emergency handbook and the Regional Rapid Response Mechanism.
Job Vacancies Qualification:
Advanced university degree in International Relations , Humanitarian Affairs, Business Administration, Business Administration or other relevant field.* Eight years of progressively responsible professional work experience in public administration and preferably in managing Emergencies at field and/or HQ level. Emergency field experience in response to natural disasters/ conflict is considered highly Fluency in English and another UN language
*A first level university degree with a relevant combination of academic qualifications and experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
Job Vacancies Key Expected Results:
* Coordinate the UNICEF global surge capacity responses.
* Monitor and analyze short-term and medium-term SURGE staffing needs and work with the relevant Country Offices to assign internal and external candidates to affected countries.
* Oversee the development of the emergency roster.
* Contribute to further developing a culture of understanding within UNICEF of surge capacity systems, standards and operating procedures and tools. Facilitate the dissemination of publication and information on work-in-progress and completed works on emergency response.
* Identify generic and sector specific training needs for SURGE team. Coordinate and implement training programmes.
* Contributes to the achievements of corporate goals in management of emergency surge capacity and staffing and advises: UNICEF Managers globally, clients and partners on emergency surge capacity HR Emergency Unit on polices, procedures and practices, new approaches, methods and adaptations for emergency recruitment policies.
* Monitors, reviews and reports to management, partners and clients on emergency response and provides support to effectively meet UNICEF’s commitments and key performance indicators in the area of emergency surge capacity.
* Track trends in SURGE recruitment, compile reports as needed and make the emergency HR manager aware of these trends.
* Represents DHR on Inter-Divisional Task Forces, and UNICEF in other Inter Agency for a, vis-à-vis strengthening partnerships within the humanitarian sector with particular focus on emergency response.
* Recommends changes and provides technical support and guidance on the interpretation and application surge capacity, in order to streamline and facilitate rapid response.
* Provides strategic support and guidance on capacity building in relation to capacity mapping, rosters and talent groups
Job Vacancies Competencies:
Communicates effectively to varied audiences, including during formal public speaking .
Consistently achieves high-level results, managing and delivering projects on-time and on-budget.
Able to work effectively in a multi-cultural environment.
Analyzes and integrates potentially conflicting numerical, verbal and other data from a number of sources.
Adjusts team or department’s approach to embrace changing circumstances.
Demonstrates, applies and shares expert technical knowledge across the organization.
Creates organization-wide processes to help ensure that all adhere to procedures and policies. Translates strategic direction into plans and objectives.
Has good leadership and supervisory skills; co-ordinates group activities, ensuring that roles within the team are clear.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation. If you want a challenging career while improving the lives of children around the world UNICEF, the leading children’s rights organization, would like to hear from you.
Visit us at www.unicef.org/about/employ to register in our new e-Recruitment system and apply to this and other vacancies, quoting E-VN-2011-001374. Applications must be received by 15 September 2011. Please note that only candidates who are under serious consideration will be contacted.
In the selection of its staff, UNICEF is committed to gender balance and diversity without distinction as to race, sex or religion, and without discrimination of persons with disabilities: well qualified candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Job Vacancies UNICEF
633 3rd Avenue
New York, NY