Job Vacancies UN Women
Position: Programme Analyst
Location: United States of America ( The )
Closing Date: Friday, 04 November 2011
Job Vacancies Background
Grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, UN Women will work for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. Placing women’s rights at the centre of all its efforts, UN Women will lead and coordinate United Nations System efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world. It will provide strong and coherent leadership in support of Member States’ priorities and efforts, building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of UN WOMEN’s Arab States Section, the Programme Analyst will support Country Offices’ programme processes; gather information and undertake analysis on development trends in the region; coordinate Section’s outreach activities; and design and support the team effort to document and disseminate emerging good practices from the programme in the Arab States.
The Programme Analyst works in close collaboration with the programme and operations teams in the CO, programme staff in other UN Agencies, UN Women HQ staff, technical advisors and experts.
Job Vacancies Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
1.Support to Country Offices and Regional Centre
2.Analysis and Information Gathering
3. Ensure compliance with internal and external reporting requirements
1. Ensure support to Country Offices and Regional Centre focusing on delivery of the following results:
* Play the role of a focal point for the country offices and regional center.
* Support the country offices in programme processes such as the preparation of programme documents for presentation to the programme Appraisal Committee (PAC).
* Support the country offices in key HQ programme processes such as clearance of donor agreements and Programme Cooperation Agreements.
* Support the strategic planning and implementation process of designated country offices.
* Support the country offices in budget revision processes.
2. Ensure Analysis and Information Gathering focusing on achievement of the following results:
* In-depth analysis and updates on development/political/social/economic trends and issues in the Arab Region as they arise.
* Advise the Chief and team on analysis of political, social and economic trends and development issues that impact UN Women’s work in the Arab Region.
* Communicate with UN Women Country Offices’ staff and partners on new policy developments in the Arab Region.
* Maintain good contacts with think-tanks and other regional organizations/networks and individuals that undertake analysis on the Arab Region.
* Regular sharing of external analysis and reports on the region with teams across the Arab States Country Offices.
3. Ensure compliance with internal and external reporting requirements, focusing on achievement of the following results:
* Participation in the annual reporting and review processes;
* Support dissemination of feedback and lessons drawn from annual reports;
* Support design and maintain an information system (including electronic files and matrix) for donor contract management,including tracking donor contracts, UN Women’s contractual obligations, other delivery requirements of the contract, grant tranches or instalment schedules, reporting schedule and reporting requirements; and liaise with country offices to ensure compliance;
* Act as focal point for donor reporting in coordination with Donor Reporting Team.
* Technical support to Country Offices in fulfilling internal and external reporting requirements;
* Review donor reports, both narrative and financial, submitted by Country Offices, provide feedback on quality (in particular on results analysis) and compliance, and support improvement to meet the UN Women donor reporting requirements.
* Prepare briefs and other programme communication materials as response to Directorate request.
Impact of Results:
The key results have an impact on the overall performance of the Geographic section and success in implementation of programme strategies. Accurate analysis, data entry and presentation of information ensure proper programme implementation.
Job Vacancies Competencies
* Ethics and Values : Demonstrating / Safeguarding Ethics and Integrity
* Organizational Awareness : Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
* Developing and Empowering People / Coaching and Mentoring: Self-development,initiative-taking.
* Working in Teams : Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
* Communicating Information and Ideas : Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
* Self-management and Emotional intelligence : Creating synergies through self-control
* Conflict Management / Negotiating and Resolving Disagreements
* Knowledge Sharing / Continuous Learning : Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others
Knowledge Management and Learning
* Promotes a knowledge sharing and learning culture in the office
* In-depth knowledge on Gender issues in the Arab Region
* Ability to advocate and provide policy advice
* Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Practice Areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
Job Vacancies Development and Operational Effectiveness
* Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting
* Ability to lead formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development programmes and projects, mobilize resources
* God knowledge of the Results Management Guide and Toolkit
* Strong IT skills
* Ability to lead implementation of new systems (business side), and affect staff behavioral/ attitudinal change
Job Vacancies Management and Leadership
* Focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback
* Leads teams effectively and shows conflict resolution skills
* Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
* Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills
* Builds strong relationships with clients and external actors
* Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure
* Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
Job Vacancies Required Skills and Experience
* Master’s degree or equivalent in business/public administration, economics, political sciences, social sciences or related fields.
* 2 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in providing management advisory services, hands-on experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects.
* Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web based management systems.
* Excellent written and spoken English
* Knowledge of another official UN language an asset
In July 2010, the United Nations General Assembly created UN Women, the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women. The creation of UN Women came about as part of the UN reform agenda, bringing together resources and mandates for greater impact. It merges and builds on the important work of four previously distinct parts of the UN system (DAW, OSAGI, INSTRAW and UNIFEM), which focused exclusively on gender equality and women’s empowerment.
All applications must include (as an attachment) the completed UN Women Personal History form (P-11) which can be downloaded from http://www.unwomen.org/about-us/employment
Kindly note that the system will only allow one attachment. Applications without the completed UN Women P-11 form will be treated as incomplete and will not be considered for further assessment.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
Job Vacancies United Nations Development Programme
304 East 45th Street
Telephone: (212) 909-7940