Job Vacancies The World Bank
Position Senior Environmental Engineer
Job Family Environment
Location Washington, DC
Appointment International Hire
Closing Date: Thursday, 30 June 2011
Language Requirements English [Essential]; Arabic [Desired]; Chinese [Desired]; French [Desired]; Spanish [Desired]
Background / General description
The Environment Department’s Global Environment Team (ENVGC/MP) is comprised of the Montreal Protocol (MP) coordination unit and the Global Environment Facility (GEF) coordination team. ENVGC/MP coordinates the World Bank Group’s activities as an Implementing Agency for the Multilateral Fund of the Montreal Protocol, for the Global Environment Facility, and for three climate change adaptation funds (the Least Developed Countries Fund, the Special Climate Change Fund and the Adaptation Fund). The Team provides guidance to Bank staff on the relevant grant program policies, strategic priorities, and operational procedures and practices; facilitates programming of grant resources in Bank operations; coordinates monitoring, knowledge management and sharing of best practice across the Bank’s MP/GEF portfolios; and services the reporting requirements to the external governance structures of both the Montreal Protocol and GEF programs. The unit works very closely with external partner institutions of these grant programs. The Environmental Specialist will bring core sector expertise related to the phase-out of ozone depleting substances and will report to the ENVGC/MP Program Manager. The incumbent will work closely with other professional staff in the World Bank’s Montreal Protocol, Carbon Finance, and GEF teams and staff in the regions, as well as with the Bank’s external clients.
Duties and Accountabilities
• Provide technical support across a program of Bank MP projects on identification, development, approval, implementation, monitoring and reporting of projects implemented by the World Bank to phase out use and production of ozone depleting substances in developing countries and countries with economies in transition.
• Provide technical inputs and advisory support to MP Regional Task Teams and provide quality control to ensure timely submission of MP projects, sub-projects, and related annual plans prior to submission to the Executive Committee.
• Assist the Program Manager and other MP team members in developing and promoting innovative approaches to HCFC phase-out with synergies and co-benefits between ozone and climate protection.
• Contribute to quality control and finalization of project completion reports and implementation completion summaries.
• Provide input to the development of the Bank’s MP Business Plans and Work Programs.
• Review and provide quality control of documents produced to meet the reporting requirements of the Unit to the Multilateral Fund or the GEF.
• Review and provide quality control of technical reports and other outputs from World Bank implemented projects.
• Assist the Program Manager and other MP team members in technical discussions with the Multilateral Fund and GEF Secretariats.
• Represent the World Bank at technical and policy Montreal Protocol related meetings as requested including Meeting of the Parties, meetings of the Executive Committee, and regional ozone meetings.
• Work closely with the climate change team on the convergence of the ozone and climate change agendas to help operationalize synergies and opportunities for win-win investment support.
• Master’s degree in engineering, environmental science, or refrigeration technologies with minimum of 8 years of directly relevant experience;
• Extensive expertise and experience in the refrigeration and foam technology sectors directly related to ozone depleting substances, in particular relating to energy efficiency concerning alternative technologies, and alternatives to HCFC chemicals;
• Good understanding of the technical and policy issues related to the Montreal Protocol on Substances that Deplete the Ozone Layer and its linkages with other global environmental issues (Climate Change, Sound Chemicals Management), and of decisions of the Executive Committee;
• Experience in project design, implementation and monitoring with multi-regional project implementation experience across a range of developing country conditions an advantage;
• Excellent inter-personal and communications skills including the ability to communicate technical issues effectively and credibly in both technical and non-technical form;
• Excellent written and oral English skills; multiple language ability an advantage; and
• Ability to work independently, take self-initiative, and handle a variety of activities concurrently. The World Bank Group is committed to achieving diversity in terms of gender, nationality, culture and educational background. Individuals with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply.
All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
1818 H St NW
Washington, DC 20006
Incoming search terms for the article:
- pligg content management system chemical engineering
- bank senior position jobs
- pligg content management system satellite radio system
- pligg content management system general foam
- pligg content management system job description
- pligg content management system satellite radio
- pligg content management system engineering degree
- pligg content management system environmental science projects
- pligg content management system at home professions
- pligg content management system state bank