Job Vacancies The World Bank
Position: Senior Communications Officer
Location: United States of America ( The ), Washington
Closing Date: Saturday, 21 July 2012
Background / General description
The World Bank’s Human Development Network champions and supports the work of the Bank toward the achievement of human development results by providing strategic guidance, knowledge, and analytical and operational support for the Bank’s global work on education; health, nutrition, and population; and social protection and labor. Specifically the HD Network’s cross-cutting objectives are:
(1) to promote investments in job creation and the “human side” of productivity focusing on the well-being of workers and families;
(2) to strengthen service delivery and good governance and accountability in human development programs; and
(3) to promote equity, resilience, and inclusion for the poorest and most vulnerable populations. Under the leadership of the HDN Vice President, the HD Council is responsible for providing strategic direction to the Network, reviewing and approving the Network’s work program and budget, setting priorities for knowledge management, for encouraging innovation and for attracting, retaining and developing world caliber staff. The Network is responsible for representing the Bank’s engagement in human development to the outside world effectively and efficiently through its partnerships and communications work. It is also responsible for ensuring that the World Bank’s Board of Directors, senior management, and other parts of the Bank Group are well informed about the HDN agenda and that HDN perspectives are appropriately reflected in all Bank policies, strategies, and programs. The HDN External Affairs and Communications team (HDN-EXT) sets the strategic communications framework for the network and provides day-to-day guidance and support for effective communications and outreach with three sets of clients: The World Bank’s Board and senior management; HDN management and staff; as well as a wide range of key external stakeholders, including civil society organizations (CSOs), governments, development agencies, media and the private sector. Reporting The Senior Communications Officer works under the supervision of the Communications Advisor (Head of the HDN Communications Team) and the overall direction of the Manager, Operations, HDNOP. Accountabilities The Senior Communications Officer is accountable for performing the responsibilities and modeling the behaviors and maintaining the competencies (listed below) in his or her capacity as a member of the HDN Communications team and as a staff member of the HDNOP unit and HDN VPU. Accountability means being answerable for managing quality, risks results, institutional initiatives and compliance with Bank policies and procedures. Note: If the selected candidate is a current Bank Group staff member with a Regular or Open-Ended appointment, s/he will retain his/her Regular or Open-Ended appointment. All others will be offered a 4 year renewable term appointment.
Duties and Accountabilities
Specific responsibilities of the Senior Communications Officer will include:
Provide timely advice and support to HDN managers and staff on communications and outreach strategies and plans, messaging and positioning, and reputational risk management;
Develop, write, edit and/or oversee the preparation, production, and dissemination of briefings, press releases, talking points, op-eds, web content and feature stories, reports, brochures, publications, blog posts and other social media content, and other communications products;
Lead and/or work with teams across HDN to design, implement, and monitor high visibility communications campaigns, events, and publication launches;
Build and/or sustain open and effective communications channels and relationships with key counterparts outside the World Bank, including the media, civil society groups, governments, parliamentarians, academia and think tanks, United Nations and other international development agencies and partners interested in the work of HDN;
Liaise and collaborate with colleagues across the Bank-wide Communications Network to ensure that HDN interests are fully calibrated into the work of the Bank’s broader communications effort and that those broader communications concerns are effectively incorporated into HDN’s mindset and work program;
Serve as deputy to the Communications Adviser and assist with managing the HDN-EXT team’s overall work program and workflow, and providing day-to-day supervision of other members of the team on various assignments and tasks, including mentoring junior staff.
A successful candidate, at a minimum, will have Master’s degree or Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Public Affairs, Journalism, Marketing, Marketing communications, Social Marketing, or related fields, plus 8 years (with Master’s degree) OR 13 years (with Bachelor’s degree) of relevant experience. Specific skills and competencies include: Communication in International Development – High-level ability to communicate with internal and external partners, based on understanding their communication needs and possessing significant experience with international development topics and issues.
Communication Strategy, Planning, and Execution – Has significant experience in and/or demonstrates in-depth proficiency at a level sufficient to assist, consult, or lead others in the planning, development, and execution of communication strategies for complex projects. Makes formal presentations on the work of, or on wide-ranging issues concerning the work of, the WBG and conveys ideas effectively to multiple audiences. Interacts effectively with higher-level stakeholders/audiences to build consensus on difficult issues. Relationship Management and Political Awareness – Has significant experience in and/or demonstrates an in-depth proficiency sufficient to lead and manage overall relationships with critical internal and/or external high-risk, critical constituencies to foster strategic partnerships and to strengthen the Bank’s overall effectiveness and image or mitigate reputational risks. Collaborates with or leads others to foster deep understanding of the social, political, and development environment and contributes to the development of this competency in others.
Content and Style Editing – Has significant experience in, leads others and demonstrates in-depth proficiency in rewriting or editing complex communications products for purposeful structure, clarity of ideas, and the logical persuasive presentation of content.
Social Media, Information Channels, and Communication Tools Awareness: Has significant experience in and/or demonstrates in-depth proficiency level sufficient to assist, consult, or lead others in assuring existing or new, upcoming communication tools and media channels as well as World Bank’s Knowledge Management products are fully leveraged to assure proper communication.
Access to Information Policy: Demonstrates broad, in-depth proficiency sufficient to be recognized as an authority / expert in subject matter area both inside and outside the Bank.
Client Orientation– Maintains client relationships in the face of conflicting demands or directions and provides evidence-based advice and sustainable solutions based on sound diagnosis and knowledge. Delivers new insight and recommends actions or viable solutions for multiple client groups and future needs related to Network and Bank goals and results.
Drive for Results– Creates conditions to achieve challenging results. Identifies the needed resources to accomplish results involving multiple stakeholders and finds solutions to obstacles affecting key deliverables.
Teamwork (Collaboration) and Inclusion – Shows leadership in ensuring the team stays organized and focused, and actively seeks and considers diverse ideas and approaches.
Knowledge, Learning and Communication – Leads in the sharing of best practice, trends, knowledge and lessons learned across units and with clients and partners, articulating ideas verbally and in writing in a clear and compelling way across audiences of varied levels.
Business Judgment and Analytical Decision Making– Analyzes facts and data to support sound, logical decisions regarding own and others’ work. The World Bank Group is committed to achieving diversity in terms of gender, nationality, culture and educational background. Individuals with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence. Language Proficiency Language Speak Proficiency Read Proficiency Write Proficiency English Essential Essential Essential
World Bank 1818 H St NW Washington, DC 20006 (202) 473-1000
Incoming search terms for the article:
- pligg content management system diagnosis a medical condition
- pligg content management system practice of medicine
- pligg content management system mindset
- pligg content management system family channel
- pligg content management system nutritional information
- pligg content management system creation evidence
- pligg content management system project manager knowledge for educational institution
- pligg content management system what is green building
- pligg content management system what makes a successful society
- pligg content management system president and vice president