Job Vacancies The World Bank
Position: Database Administration Officer – SQL Server
Job Family Information Management and Technology
Location: United States of America ( The ), Washington, DC
Appointment Local Hire
Closing Date: Monday, 05 March 2012
Language Requirements English [Essential]
Background / General description
The World Bank Group is a global financial organization based in downtown Washington, DC with country offices in 120+ countries. The Information Solutions Group (ISG) is the Information Technology division within the World Bank. We provide core IT infrastructure and business application services to the World Bank Group (WBG), including our Washington DC headquarters and Country Office locations around the world. The WB IT strategy is designed to align IT initiatives with the Bank’s business strategy. The overarching objective is to ensure that end-users have the information and systems to do their job at HQ or in the Country Offices. The management of most of the end-user IT services, business solutions and the underlying technology infrastructure is centralized with ISG. The Technology and Engineering department (ISGTE), composed of about 250 personnel, is responsible for providing and maintaining the IT infrastructure framework on top of which business applications and customers are serviced on an efficient and cost-effective manner. The organization strives to provide quality services to meet a variety of business requirements and its performance is regularly assessed by means of industry relevant benchmarks and annual certification/compliance with standards frameworks like SOX, ISO2000, and ISO27001. The ISGTE scope of activities is composed of a wide range of services including Data Center operations, Global Network, Telecommunications, Video-Conferencing, Desktop and server support for Windows, UNIX, and Linux, Email, Collaboration, Document Management, Portals, WEB, Financial & HR platform support including SAP and PeopleSoft. The services are tightly integrated and standardized in a way to provide 24×7 availability and transparency to some 13,000 users spread throughout DC headquarters and country offices. The ISGTE organization is also proud of the quality of its cadre of IT professionals. It has over the years emphasized the hiring of the right set of people equipped with the means to adjust to a culture of excellence and dedicated to promote IT as an enabler of the core missions of the Bank. The selected candidate will work in the business systems enterprise infrastructure team of ISGTE. This team provides SQL Server Database Administration services to IBRD, IFC, MIGA, and ICSID clients. The SQL Server infrastructure platform is based on MS SQL 2005 and MS SQL 2008 versions with a total of 35 production servers and 500 production databases. SQL Server DB hosting activities include complete support for end users, application developers and system integrators to the WBG (World Bank, IFC, MIGA, and ICSID).
Duties and Accountabilities
• Database Administration Officer will provide SQL Server Administration for key applications supported by World Bank Group. These include Open Data Initiative, Health Services, Case Management, and Enterprise SharePoint applications
• Responsible for installation, upgrades, configuration and maintenance of SQL Server 2005 and SQL Server 2008 databases
• Responsible for implementing SQL Server high availability configuration using SQL Clustering
• Responsible for implementing SQL Server data center redundancy using SQL Server database mirroring, log shipping, and other replication techniques
• Responsible for design and implementation of scalable Enterprise Sharepoint SQL database infrastructure for internal and external clients
• Responsible for installation, upgrades, configuration and maintenance of SQL Server management tools
• Responsible for implementing backup and recovery of SQL Server databases
• Responsible for implementing availability monitoring of SQL Server databases
• Responsible for implementing performance monitoring of SQL Server databases
• Responsible for implementing SQL Server 2008 transparent data encryption
• Responsible for implementing SQL Server 2008 auditing with integration with Arc-Sight security log system
• Responsible for ensuring compliance with SQL Server Security Standards
• Responsible for ensuring compliance with SQL Server Account Management Policy
• Responsible for advising developers for code design techniques to protect against SQL Injection and other malicious security attacks
• Responsible for assisting end users with SQL Server operational issues
• Responsible for developing and maintaining Windows scripts supporting the administration function..
• Responsible for developing and documenting detailed system specifications for major systems installations based on ITIL processes and standards (ISO 200000 and ISO 270001)
• Responsible for evaluating and recommending system management and security related products • Responsible for developing policies and procedures for the management and operation of ISGTE’s Information and technology (IT) infrastructure
• Responsible for presenting proposed solutions to various team including management
• MA/MS in Computer Science, or Business Management of Information Systems, or equivalent combination of education and experience. BS/BA is minimum education requirement
• Minimum 5 Years of Relevant Experience (7 Years with BS/BA)
• Strong Production experience in managing SQL Server databases with high availability clusters and data center redundancy
• Manage Production systems for mission critical applications in complex environment with minimum supervision.
• Manage Enterprise Sharepoint SQL database infrastructure for internal and external clients.
• Manage SQL server security and controls for mission critical systems
• Experience working on multiple projects as a team member or sometimes as a project leader and working with offshore resources
• Supports multiple servers and multiple databases of medium to high complexity (complexity defined by database size, technology used, and system feeds and interfaces) with multiple concurrent users, ensuring control, integrity and accessibility of data
• Strong knowledge of Windows operating system environment.
• SQL Server DBA Certification and/or equivalent experience.
• Experience with Powershell scripting language
• Good understanding of IIS application server, EMC storage infrastructure, network segmentation and load balancers.
• Initiative and resourcefulness in complex environments; flexibility and the ability to effectively prioritize conflicting demands in high-pressure and time-critical situations are essential.
• Ability to diagnose and resolve technical problems independently as well as in collaboration with a team; strong team player.
• Superior communication and presentation skills – both verbal and written.
• Excellent interpersonal skills, including ability to work effectively in a team/task force as a participant or team leader.
• Proven conceptual, analytical and evaluation skills.
• Proven ability to clearly and concisely prepare, present, discuss and defend recommendations at senior levels and to produce a wide range of deliverables such as memoranda, requirements documents, status reports, terms of reference (TORs), project plans, etc.
• Demonstrated sensitivity to the Bank’s distinctive demographics and cross cultural context and influences, and ability to build effective work relationships with clients and colleagues.
• Fluent in verbal and written English. The World Bank Group is committed to achieving diversity in terms of gender, nationality, culture and educational background. Individuals with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply.
All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
World Bank 1818 H St NW Washington, DC 20006 (202) 473-1000
Incoming search terms for the article:
- Powered by Article Dashboard microsoft application server
- Powered by Article Dashboard global security and engineering solutions
- powered by phpBB definition
- Powered by Article Dashboard application server enterprise
- Powered by Article Dashboard what is the meaning of information technology
- Powered by Article Dashboard database technology articles
- Powered by Article Dashboard application server and
- pligg content management system science and technology center
- pligg content management system the medium
- pligg content management system total computer security software