Job Vacancies Peace Operations Training Institute (peaceopstraining)
Global developer and distributor of on-line e-learning on United Nations Peacekeeing, humanitarian relief, and related topics.
Position: Web Applications Developer, Williamsburg, United States of America
Closing Date: Monday, 26 July 2010
Location: United States of America (the)
The Peace Operations Training Institute is a small non-profit organization that develops and distributes training material for United Nations peacekeepers and humanitarian relief workers. We are based in Williamsburg, Virginia, but our training courses are taken by military and civilian students located around the world, including many troubled areas: from Haiti to Liberia to Timor-Leste.
Please visit our Web site at http://www.peaceopstraining.org/ for complete information on who we are and what we do.
We seek a software developer to help maintain and extend our collection of Web applications, some used by our own staff and others used by our students around the world. Prior PHP, Python, SQL, and/or Web development experience is helpful, but strong programming skills are preferred to any specific experience.
Besides software development, job duties also include:
- Use SQL database to fulfill co-workers’ requests for data, research;
- Assist in development and maintenance of Web sites; maintain HTML markup, CSS style-sheets; make decisions regarding Web page layout, typography, other design aspects;
- Write and maintain software documentation;
- Work with users to articulate and analyze requirements;
- Help maintain IT infrastructure, including the office LAN, file server, printers,
telephones, and both Windows, Unix, and Mac OS workstations; and
- Provide technical support to coworkers, including occasional after-hours support.
Applicants must be self-motivated, able to learn on their own and plan their own work, and able to reason independently and think through every aspect of a problem. Applicants must be able to communicate effectively and professionally, both orally and in writing.
We offer a friendly, low-stress work environment and a unique opportunity to apply your talents to help build peace world-wide. We also offer a flexible work schedule and the opportunity to work from home on occasion. If it is your goal to apply your skills to addressing global issues of human rights, refugees, international humanitarian law, gender equality, peacekeeping, and conflict resolution, then we invite you to submit an application for this professional position.
This is an entry level full-time position with all benefits: retirement, group health insurance, and paid vacation. The compensation package will be $45,000 to $55,000 depending on qualifications. The work will be done at our Williamsburg, VA office. Applicants must be eligible to work legally in the United States.
How to apply
E-mail to the Executive Director, Dr. Harvey Langholtz, and attach a resume with a cover letter, In the cover letter indicate what it is about this job that interests you.
Reference Code: RW_86ZQPV-96
Incoming search terms for the article:
- peace operations training institute
- peace operation training institute
- peace operations training institute jobs
- peace operations jobs
- Peace Vacancies
- un peace operations training institute
- United Nations Peace Operations Training Institute
- job vacancy in timor leste
- peace operations training institute elap