Job Vacancies Pan American Health Organization (PAHO)
Vacancy Notice No: PAHO/10/FT112
Title: Specialist,Virtual Collaboration and Knowledge Sharing
Contract type: Fixed-term appointment
Duration of contract: Two years, first year probationary period
Date: 17 March 2010
Deadline for application : 28 April 2010
Duty Station: Washington, D.C. United States of America
Organization unit: AM Americas (AM)
Knowledge Management and Communication (KMC)
OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMME :
To establish the principles and practice of knowledge management and communication as fundamental to public health and a key component of technical cooperation and capacity building. As such, it oversees the equitable and efficient dissemination of health information and communications to priority audiences, especially in Member Countries, as well as PAHO’s knowledge sharing processes and information and communications products. It ensures that PAHO is widely recognized as a source of authoritative scientific and technical information and safeguards PAHO’s intellectual property against any use contrary to the Organization’s mission and principles.
Description of duties:
Under the general supervision of the Knowledge Management Advisor (KMC), and the direct supervision of the Advisor, e-Health (KMC), the incumbent is responsible for, but not necessarily limited to, the following assigned duties:
a) Collaborate in the development of knowledge management initiatives to help reduce the “know-do” gap in public health interventions and evidence based decisions.
b) Provide direct guidance and support to knowledge management (KM) focal points for knowledge capture, synthesis and sharing.
c) Provide guidance and support to technical areas, country offices, and centers in the identification, launching and evaluation of communities of practice (CoPs) and virtual collaboration.
d) Assist in identifying, developing and implementing communities of practice (CoPs) based on the Organization’s methodology.
e) Assist in identifying and studying relations, networks and linkages among CoPs to collaborate in work planning, resource mobilization and allocation, and networking through knowledge brokering.
f) Provide support to staff in the adoption and use of virtual conference tools and methodologies of the Organization’s Digital Literacy Program.
g) Provide support for the result-based management model with the implementation of knowledge sharing and virtual collaboration initiatives in the Organization by reviewing issues and gaps; recommend viable solutions to help improve the capture, adaptation, transferal, and reuse of information and knowledge sharing.
h) Develop guidelines and educational materials for training purpose on various knowledge sharing and virtual collaboration methodologies, processes, and tools under the Digital Literacy Program.
i) Assist and guide KM focal points on how to assess information, knowledge sharing needs and recommend appropriate solutions.
j) Collaborate in the development and implementation of the “Social Network of Public Health Workers in the Americas” under the knowledge sharing initiatives within the Organization.
k) Establish evaluation mechanisms for the utilization of virtual collaboration tools and knowledge sharing methodologies to capture lessons learned to enhance collaboration among the Organization’s Member Countries to support technical cooperation agreements (TCC), and the Organization’s Program of Work.
l) Perform other duties as assigned.
Essential: A bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in library/information sciences, information management, knowledge management, communications or related field.
Desirable: Training in emerging technologies and methodologies for knowledge management and communication would be an asset.
Key Behavioral Competencies
– Intrainstitutional Action: Displays, through behavior, understanding of PAHO’s values and mission. Seeks information on and acts with understanding of the Organization’s expectations while advancing further the understanding and application of its policies. Shows interest and concern for the activities related to his/her work in conjunction with the mission, values, vision and policies of the organization.
– Communication: Establishes and proactively engages in productive dialogues in one’s work inside and outside the Organization, and assists in the building of consensus. Seeks to share information with others within the organization, both face to face and through communication and information technology systems as appropriate. Develops a network of appropriate contacts inside and outside PAHO to gain information or to build an alliance.
– Knowledge Management: Shares knowledge and information appropriately and participates in activities to facilitate sharing. Develops tools and protocols for creation, integration and dissemination of knowledge. Researches opportunities, methods and approaches for delivering value through improved communication strategies, including cultural, pragmatic and theoretical concerns.
– Teamwork: Adds significant contribution when participating in internal and external work teams, and leads through personal example the virtues of team success-collaboration, trust, transparency and joint responsibilities. Builds and maintains mutually beneficial productive interpersonal relations based on trust, inside and outside the Organization, Keeps every team member informed as well as shares relevant and useful information.
– Information Management: Takes initiative to improve systems for the presentation and dissemination of information. Supports, through competent use of the available systems and technologies, the development of data presentations.
– Service Orientation: Follows through on the client inquiries, requests and complaints. Keeps client up-to-date about progress of projects. Monitors client satisfaction.
– External Action: Identifies with external institutions in areas of common interests to promote joint efforts and mutually beneficial goals.
– In-depth knowledge and understanding of virtual collaboration tools and methodologies.
– In-depth knowledge and understanding of knowledge sharing methodologies, concepts, and tools and their role to become a cross-cutting knowledge based learning organization.
– Ability to conduct training in the use of virtual collaboration tools and methodologies.
– Advanced knowledge on the use of different technologies and tools and the ability to learn and adapt to new technology rapidly, including continuous learning of new technologies.
– Ability to analyze gaps in knowledge sharing mechanisms in place and recommend solutions.
– Ability to create and advocate innovative approaches to facilitate and enhance knowledge sharing capacity, including the use of social tools and networks, as well as monitoring these processes.
– Ability to work independently, results-oriented, and meet deadlines.
– Strong professional oral and written communication skills, including the development of reports, oral presentations, and technical/persuasive documents for consideration at the highest levels of the Organization.
Demonstrated ability to effectively use a computer and utilize software programs such as Microsoft Office Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint and Outlook. Other IT skills and knowledge of other software programs such as Elluminate will be an asset.
Essential: Five years of combined national and international experience working in library/information sciences, knowledge management and/or communication.
Desirable: Desirable: Experience in working with developing and delivering knowledge management programs and web collaboration would be an asset.
Very good knowledge of English or Spanish with working knowledge of the other language. Knowledge of French and/or Portuguese would be an asset.
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ON-LINE TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POST.
A WRITTEN TEST AND/OR INTERVIEW MAY BE HELD FOR THIS POST. CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED ONLY IF THEY ARE UNDER SERIOUS CONSIDERATION. ALL APPLICANTS ARE REQUIRED TO COMPLETE AN ON-LINE PERSONAL HISTORY FORM. THE POST DESCRIPTION IS THE OFFICIAL DOCUMENTATION FOR ORGANIZATIONAL PURPOSES.
Annual salary: (Net of tax)
US$ 46,037.00 at single rate
US$ 49,082.00 with primary dependants Post Adjustment: 41.3 % of the above figure(s). This percentage is to be considered as indicative since variations may occur each month either upwards or downwards due to currency exchange rate fluctuations or inflation.
Online applications are strongly encouraged to enable WHO to store your profile in a permanent database. Please visit WHO’s e-Recruitment website at: www.who.int/employment. The system provides instructions for online application procedures.
All applicants are encouraged to apply online as soon as possible after the vacancy has been posted and well before the deadline stated in the vacancy announcement.
Applications from women and from nationals of non- and under-represented member states are particularly encouraged.
Any appointment/extension of appointment is subject to WHO Staff Regulations, Staff Rules and Manual. Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
Incoming search terms for the article:
- paho entry level jobs
- approaches to use in implementing knowledge and information sharing in an organization
- Result-based management methodologies
- RESULT BASED MANAGEMENT MODEL
- public health virtual degree paho
- pan american network job
- paho vacancies
- paho scientific vacancies
- PAHO office manager
- paho knowledge management employment