Job Vacancies Pan American Health Organization (PAHO)
Position: Project Support Specialist
Location: United States of America ( The ), Washington
Closing Date: Wednesday, 29 February 2012
Organization unit: AM Americas (AM)
Family and Community Health (FCH)/Comprehensive Family Immunization (FCH/IM)
OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMME :
To provide technical and strategic support to strengthen national and regional capacity to protect all people at risk against vaccine-preventable diseases through advocacy, partnership, preparedness for emerging disease threats, and formulation of evidence-based strategies for vaccination policy. In so doing, promotes, coordinates and implements technical cooperation activities that emphasize the central role of family and the community to foster a culture of health promotion and protection where health becomes a social value. The work of the immunization project is guided by the principles of access and equity, disease control , and development of public health infrastructure in the context of introducing new technologies and achieving the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs).
Description of duties:
Under the general supervision of the Manager, Family and Community Health (FCH), and the direct supervision of the Senior Advisor, Comprehensive Family Immunization (FCH/IM), the incumbent is responsible for, but not necessarily limited, to the following assigned duties:
a) Provide technical support for the implementation of the ProVac Initiative’s International Working Group’s program of work;
b) Facilitate, support and coordinate communications with the ProVac International Working Group (IWG) partners; organize international technical meetings, training workshops, conferences, experts meetings, lead the preparation and/or consolidation of materials and liaising with host and participating countries;
c) Monitor ongoing activities of the ProVac IWG partners and maintain an overall mapping of activities;
d) Draft and present periodic reports on the ProVac IWG activities, progress and challenges;
e) Triage requests for updates of ProVac tools and coordinate updates with ProVac team;
f) Participate in ProVac IWG activities to ensure partner implementation methodology is consistent with the Organization’s ProVac implementation methodology;
g) Compile and document lessons learned from collaboration among the different partner organizations;
h) Update and manage the Organization’s vaccine legislation database; conduct assessments related to documenting best practices and impact of vaccine laws in the Region, as needed;
i) Perform other related duties as assigned.
A bachelor’s degree in international relations, communications or related field from a recognized university.
Key Behavioral Competencies
– Intrainstitutional Action: Displays, through behavior, understanding of PAHO’s values and mission. Seeks information on and acts with understanding of the Organization’s expectations while advancing further the understanding and application of its policies. Shows interest and concern for the activities related to his/her work in conjunction with the mission, values, vision and policies of the organization. Behaves consistently in accordance with the Code of Ethics of the Organization.
– Analysis, synthesis and forecasting: Objectively analyzes situations and, based on evidence and knowledge, suggests actions to improve implementation. Bases one’s actions on available information, applies knowledge acquired from experience. Prioritizes the information according to one’s needs or the Organization’s. Is capable of anticipating the implications of analyzed situations between one to six months ahead.
– Information Management: Verifies that relevant information is obtained, processed, selected, and disseminated in area of work. Acquires the training to utilize technologies for processing information relative to the area of work in a logical and organized manner, which facilitates the dissemination of information, resulting in information that is consistent, valid and accurate. Keeps abreast of latest technologies for processing the information relevant to the area of work, and weighs its advantages/disadvantages.
– Teamwork: Encourages team members, adds significant contribution when participating in internal and external work teams, and leads through personal example the virtues of team success–collaboration, trust, transparency and joint responsibilities. Builds and maintains mutually beneficial productive interpersonal relations based on trust, inside and outside the Organization. Keeps every team member informed as well as shares relevant and useful information.
– Knowledge Management: Collects appropriate data as well as identifies and acquires internal knowledge and information sources. Is aware of the knowledge and information relevant to their roles and the value this brings to the organization. Uses appropriate knowledge and information resources that are helpful for scientific research and technical advice.
– Resource Mobilization: Is capable of ordering and presenting the information for resource mobilization appropriately. Is able to adapt information in an objective manner and can analyze data. Is able to interpret and cover all the main aspects of the data.
– Theoretical and practical knowledge of public health policy; recent developments in vaccines-preventable diseases; decision sciences and economic evaluations.
– Knowledge and ability to perform cost-effectiveness analysis.
– Strong research and problem-solving skills; able to manage multiple projects simultaneously and to work collaboratively on multi-disciplinary teams with tight schedules.
– Sound judgment, strong technical, analytical and conceptual skills; demonstrated ability to assess, analyze, synthesize and provide recommendation on key managerial and administrative issues;
– Ability to integrate managerial and administrative inputs into recommendations for decision-making process; ability to manage multiple issues and tasks in a complex organizational environment
– Strong professional oral and writing skills including the development of reports, oral presentations, and technical/persuasive documents for consideration at the highest levels of the Organization.
Demonstrated ability to effectively use a computer and utilize software programs such as Microsoft Office Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint and Outlook.
Three years of combined national and international work experience related to project coordination and/or international relations.
Very good knowledge of English or Spanish with a working knowledge of the other language. Knowledge of French and/or Portuguese would be an asset.
ALL APPLICANTS ARE REQUIRED TO COMPLETE AN ON-LINE PERSONAL HISTORY FORM TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POST.
CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED ONLY IF THEY ARE UNDER SERIOUS CONSIDERATION. A WRITTEN TEST AND/OR INTERVIEW WILL BE HELD FOR THIS POST. THE POST DESCRIPTION IS THE OFFICIAL DOCUMENTATION FOR ORGANIZATIONAL PURPOSES.
THIS VACANCY MAY BE USED TO FILL OTHER POSITIONS IN THE ORGANIZATION THAT MAY BECOME VACANT AT A LATER DATE, AND WHICH HAVE SIMILAR REQUIREMENTS AND DUTIES AS THE ONES STATED IN THIS NOTICE.
(Net of tax)
US$ 4,476.64 at single rate
US$ 4,476.64 with primary dependants
Online applications are strongly encouraged to enable WHO to store your profile in a permanent database. Please visit WHO’s e-Recruitment website at: www.who.int/employment . The system provides instructions for online application procedures.
All applicants are encouraged to apply online as soon as possible after the vacancy has been posted and well before the deadline stated in the vacancy announcement.
WHO is committed to workforce diversity.
Any appointment/extension of appointment is subject to WHO Staff Regulations, Staff Rules and Manual. Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
PAHO has a smoke-free environment and does not recruit smokers or users of any form of tobacco.
Regional Office of the World Health Organization 525 Twenty-third Street, N.W. Washington, D.C. 20037 (202) Tel: 974-3000, Fax: 974-3663
Incoming search terms for the article:
- Powered by Article Dashboard health science university
- Powered by Article Dashboard activity
- Powered by Article Dashboard american health science university
- Powered by Article Dashboard state map
- Powered by Article Dashboard behavioral science degree
- Powered by Article Dashboard community health
- Powered by Article Dashboard environmental science projects
- Powered by Article Dashboard recent environmental science articles
- Powered by Article Dashboard behavioral science degree program
- Powered by Article Dashboard behavioral science experiments