Job Vacancies Pan American Health Organization (PAHO)
Title: Specialist Tobacco Surveillance Systems
Vacancy Notice No: PAHO/10/FT580
Contract type: Fixed-term appointment
Duration of contract: One year, first year probationary period-POST OF LIMITED DURATION
Closing Date: Wednesday, 05 January 2011
Duty Station: Washington, D.C. United States of America
Organization unit: AM Americas (AM)
Sustainable Development and Environmental Health/Mental Health (SDE/MH)
OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMME :
The Area of Sustainable Development and Environmental Health (SDE) represents a multidisciplinary team that, together with other technical areas and collaborating centers, leads innovative, inter-sectoral and strategic efforts to address the determinants of health, to reduce health risks and to promote healthy social and physical environments where people live, study, work and play as a substantial and essential element of Human Security for Sustainable Development and health equity.
Description of duties:
Under the general supervision of the Senior Advisor, Mental Health (SDE/MH), and the direct supervision of the Advisor, Tobacco Control, the incumbent is responsible for, but not necessarily limited to, the following duties:
a) Provide technical expertise in the areas of tobacco surveillance, epidemiology, data collection, analysis, and dissemination efforts to support the Bloomberg Global Initiative to Reduce Tobacco Use;
b) Collaborate with the national, regional and international agencies (governments, ministries of health, statistics and education, non-government agencies, institutes of health statistics and population and academic institutions) to facilitate the implementation of the Global Tobacco Surveillance System (GTSS) components;
c) Support countries in any national, sub-regional and/or regional initiative related to tobacco surveillance and build in-country capacity to monitor and evaluate tobacco use and control programs and to use the data to support tobacco control initiatives;
d) Serve as a coordinating officer for all components of the GTSS activities in the Region related to budget, workshops, survey implementation and evaluation plans. Prepare, review, and monitor collaborative agreements, contracts, and/or memoranda of understanding in close consultation with the Senior Advisor. Provide and coordinate overall administrative and program activities to ensure successful program execution. Draft briefing reports for the donor, partners and other representations;
e) Draft and assist in the writing of reports on tobacco surveillance and control initiatives. Collaborate with researchers, public health analysts and statisticians in national, regional and international settings to develop joint analyses and publications. Prepare presentations on regional survey findings and methodological and statistical approaches to working with large data sets at national, regional and international conferences.
f) Prepare advanced statistical reports, graphs, charts, tables, and narrative material to be used in publishing the results of studies and in giving oral and poster presentations;
g) Update and monitor the regional data base, Pan American Tobacco Information Online System (PATIOS), including the tobacco team site with the information and reports of the GTSS;
h) Support/collaborate with GTSS country officers in all GTSS related issues;
i) Perform any other surveillance, capacity building or other tobacco control related duties as and when required;
j) Perform other duties as assigned.
Essential: A bachelor’s degree in a health or social science, statistics, health informatics, or in a related field from a recognized university.
Specialization in epidemiology, public health, or related field would be an asset.
Key Behavioral Competencies
– Intra-institutional Action: Operates in a fair, consistent and equitable manner, and displays such behavior by example. Ensures that the mission and the values of the Organization as well as the setting in which projects will be carried out are the drivers in one’s technical work. Understands the results required and performs to that standard. Behaves consistently in accordance with the Code of Ethics of the Organization.
– Communication: Actively engages in conversation with the key players in a multicultural environment both within and outside the organization. Develops a network of appropriate contacts inside and outside PAHO to gain information or to build an alliance. Takes into consideration the multicultural differences within the organization.
– Information Management: Takes initiative to improve systems for the presentation and dissemination of information. Supports, through competent use of the available systems and technologies, the development of data presentations.
– Analysis, Synthesis, and Forecasting: Takes or organizes individual and collective action after analyzing situations on the basis of the available evidence and knowledge. Continuously analyzes the evolution of situations in an area of work and makes suggestions to adjust or confirm the decisions necessary to implement required actions. Is capable of anticipating the implications of an analyzed situation between six months to one year ahead.
– Teamwork: Promotes team work and leads one’s area to finish tasks and accept responsibility. Creates a positive environment within the area of work. Makes everyone feel like they are part of the team as well as welcomes and appreciates everyone’s ideas and suggestions. Able to see the positive aspects of working as a team, shares the team’s enthusiasm for achieving mutual goals.
– Thinking, planning and the strategic management of technical cooperation interventions: Identifies the risks and benefits of options for future health initiatives based on the analysis of institutional and political trends. Applies a broad approach to work in the health field.
– Resource Mobilization: Establishes partnerships and alliances with a variety of institutions and organizations as well as internal partnerships to obtain financial and non-financial resources. Is able to relate with all types of people and at all levels in order to obtain resources that are needed. Is able to present and disseminate information in a clear manner. Executes resources according to the agreements previously established with partnerships.
– Advanced knowledge and skills in surveillance, research, capacity building, coordination, project management, program planning and development.
– Knowledge and technical expertise in tobacco surveillance, evidence-based public health approaches to prevent and control tobacco use.
– Mature judgment, strong technical, analytical, conceptual, interpersonal and communication skills; demonstrate ability to identify, assess, analyze, synthesize and provide recommendation on key technical and administrative issues.
– Ability to integrate political, technical and managerial inputs into recommendations for decision-making.
– Ability to manage multiple issues and tasks in a complex organizational environment and to re-prioritize actions on short notice.
– Ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people of different nationalities and cultural backgrounds.
– Strong professional oral and writing skills, including the development of reports, oral presentations, and technical/persuasive documents for consideration at the highest levels of the Organization.
Demonstrated ability to effectively use a computer and utilize software programs such as Microsoft Office Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint and Outlook. Other IT skills and knowledge of other software programs such as Tableau will be an asset.
Essential: Seven years of combined national and international experience in capacity building, program planning/development design and implementation of health programs and activities, including at least two years of specific work on tobacco control.
Desirable: Established track record in tobacco control surveillance, research, program management and knowledge of surveys and data collection systems would be an asset.
Very good knowledge of English or Spanish with a working knowledge of the other language. Knowledge of French and/or Portuguese would be an asset.
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ON-LINE TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POST.
A WRITTEN TEST AND/OR INTERVIEW WILL BE HELD FOR THIS POST. CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED ONLY IF THEY ARE UNDER SERIOUS CONSIDERATION. ALL APPLICANTS ARE REQUIRED TO COMPLETE AN ON-LINE PERSONAL HISTORY FORM. THE POST DESCRIPTION IS THE OFFICIAL DOCUMENTATION FOR ORGANIZATIONAL PURPOSES.
(Net of tax)
US$ 55,259.00 at single rate
US$ 59,200.00 with primary dependants
42.6 % of the above figure(s). This percentage is to be considered as indicative since variations may occur each month either upwards or downwards due to currency exchange rate fluctuations or inflation.
Online applications are strongly encouraged to enable WHO to store your profile in a permanent database. Please visit WHO’s e-Recruitment website at: www.who.int/employment. The system provides instructions for online application procedures.
All applicants are encouraged to apply online as soon as possible after the vacancy has been posted and well before the deadline stated in the vacancy announcement.
WHO is committed to workforce diversity.
Any appointment/extension of appointment is subject to WHO Staff Regulations, Staff Rules and Manual. Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
PAHO has a smoke-free environment and does not recruit smokers or users of any form of tobacco.
Regional Office of the World Health Organization
525 Twenty-third Street, N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20037
(202) Tel: 974-3000, Fax: 974-3663
Incoming search terms for the article:
- Powered by Article Dashboard mental health
- Powered by Article Dashboard health organization
- Powered by Article Dashboard health informatics profession development
- Powered by Article Dashboard regional equities and options
- Powered by Article Dashboard public health
- Powered by Article Dashboard general tobacco
- Powered by Article Dashboard mental health information
- country program officer vacancy with paho
- statistician vacancy
- Powered by Article Dashboard difference between budgeting and forecasting