Job Vacancies Pan American Health Organization (PAHO)
Position: Specialist Gender Mainstreaming, Washington
Closing Date: Saturday, 30 April 2011
Vacancy Notice No: PAHO/11/TA45
Title: Specialist, Gender Mainstreaming
Contract type: Temporary appointment
Duration of contract: One year.
Duty Station: Washington, D.C., United States of America
Organization unit: AM Americas (AM)
Gender, Diversity and Human Rights Office (GDR)
OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMME :
PAHO’s Gender, Ethnicity and Health Unit (GDR) provides technical cooperation and assistance to PAHO’s technical areas and Member States to promote gender and ethnic equality and equity in the development of health policies and programs. GDR seeks to identify and reduce the inequities between women and men of all ethnic groups with regard to health status and its determinants, access to and quality of health care, and participation in decision-making regarding policy agendas, definition of priorities, and allocation of resources.
Description of duties:
Under the direct supervision of the Senior Advisor, Gender, Diversity and Human Rights (GDR), and the general supervision of the Assistant Director (AD), the Short-Term Professional is responsible for providing technical support, but not necessarily limited to the following:
a) Lead the integration of gender perspective in selected entities, projects, and/or technical areas,
b) Provide technical support and promote the integration of gender perspective in Member States health systems.
c) Coordinate the development or adaptation of gender mainstreaming in health tools, documents or publications.
d) Support the development of strategic partnerships and networks.
e) Collaborate and support the development of virtual gender training modules for capacity building and provide back-stopping support.
f) Provide training and ongoing technical support to organizational entities in integrating gender perspectives in plans and programs of work.
g) Support GDR efforts to develop and implement monitoring and evaluation systems for the integration of gender.
h) Lead the preparation of GDR and organization-wide funding proposals.
i) Coordinate panels jointly with other technical entities at regional events.
j) Perform other related duties, as assigned.
A university degree in development studies, gender studies, one of the health or social sciences, or a related field from an accredited institution.
Postgraduate studies in gender, cultural diversity, and/or human rights would be an asset.
Key Behavioral Competencies:
– Intra-institutional Action:
Operates in a fair, consistent and equitable manner, and displays such behavior by example. Ensures that the mission and the values of the Organization as well as the setting in which projects will be carried out are the drivers in one’s technical work. Understands the results required and performs to that standard. Behaves consistently in accordance with the Code of Ethics of the Organization.
– Information Management:
Takes initiative to improve systems for the presentation and dissemination of information. Supports, through competent use of the available systems and technologies, the development of data presentations.
– Analysis, Synthesis, and Forecasting:
Takes or organizes individual and collective action after analyzing situations on the basis of the available evidence and knowledge. Continuously analyzes the evolution of situations in an area of work and makes suggestions to adjust or confirm the decisions necessary to implement required actions. Is capable of anticipating the implications of an analyzed situation between six months to one year ahead.
– Knowledge Management:
Shares knowledge and information appropriately and participates in activities to facilitate sharing. Develops tools and protocols for creation, integration and dissemination of knowledge. Researches opportunities, methods and approaches for delivering value through improved knowledge.
Promotes team work and leads one’s area to finish tasks and accept responsibility. Creates a positive environment within the area of work. Makes everyone feel like they are part of the team as well as welcomes and appreciates everyone’s ideas and suggestions. Able to see the positive aspects of working as a team, shares the team’s enthusiasm for achieving mutual goals.
– Thinking, planning and the strategic management of technical cooperation interventions:
Identifies the risks and benefits of options for future health initiatives based on the analysis of institutional and political trends. Applies a broad approach to work in the health field.
– Resource Mobilization:
Establishes partnership and alliances with a variety of institutions and organizations as well as internal partnerships to obtain financial and non-financial resources. Is able to relate with all types of people and at all levels in order to obtain resources that are needed. Is able to present and disseminate information in a clear manner. Executes resources according to the agreements previously established with partnership.
– Theoretical and practical knowledge of the public health approach to gender mainstreaming.
– Ability to recognize opportunities for gender mainstreaming and implement responses to achieve effective outcomes.
– Ability to develop and review tools and instruments to integrate gender perspectives.
– Ability to develop tools and instruments to integrate gender and cultural diversity; and gender/cultural diversity-based analysis.
– Ability to prepare clear, concise and complete analysis, proposals, reports and other written materials; maintain accurate records and meeting critical deadlines; research and analyze complex problems, evaluating varied information and data, either statistical or narrative form, and exercise sound judgment within establish guidelines.
– Strong inter-personal skills, diplomacy and tact to effectively communicate with senior level health officials in public and private sector and civil society, multiple stakeholders and professionals from diverse cultural backgrounds.
– Ability to manage multiple issues and tasks in a complex organizational environment to re-prioritize actions on short notice.
Demonstrated ability to effectively use a computer and utilize software programs such as Microsoft Office Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint and Outlook. Other IT skills and knowledge of other software programs such as Visio and Project would be an asset.
Seven years of combined national and international experience working in technical cooperation programs related to gender mainstreaming in health, development, and/or ethnic/gender equality.
Experience related to designing and implementing gender sensitive and intercultural policies and health systems would be an asset.
Very good knowledge of English or Spanish with working knowledge of the other language. Knowledge of French and/or Portuguese would be an asset.
A WRITTEN TEST AND/OR INTERVIEW MAY BE HELD FOR THIS POST. CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED ONLY IF THEY ARE UNDER SERIOUS CONSIDERATION. ALL APPLICANTS ARE REQUIRED TO COMPLETE AN ON-LINE PERSONAL HISTORY FORM. THE POST DESCRIPTION IS THE OFFICIAL DOCUMENTATION FOR ORGANIZATIONAL PURPOSES.
(Net of tax)
US $56,018.00 at single rate
Online applications are strongly encouraged to enable WHO to store your profile in a permanent database. Please visit WHO’s e-Recruitment website at: www.who.int/employment . The system provides instructions for online application procedures.
All applicants are encouraged to apply online as soon as possible after the vacancy has been posted and well before the deadline stated in the vacancy announcement.
WHO is committed to workforce diversity.
Any appointment/extension of appointment is subject to WHO Staff Regulations, Staff Rules and Manual. Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
PAHO has a smoke-free environment and does not recruit smokers or users of any form of tobacco.
Incoming search terms for the article:
- Powered by Article Dashboard regional integration implications for diplomatic institutions
- Powered by Article Dashboard define regional integration
- Powered by Article Dashboard gender inequality and regional integration
- Powered by Article Dashboard accurate futures forecasting software
- Powered by Article Dashboard regional integration theory
- Powered by Article Dashboard regional integration agreements
- Powered by Article Dashboard forecasting software
- Powered by Article Dashboard regional integration definition
- Powered by Article Dashboard india\s regional integration