Job Vacancies Pan American Health Organization (PAHO)
Position: Program Management and Partnership Specialist
Contract type: Fixed-Term Appointment
Duration of contract: Two years, first year probationary period.
Closing Date: Thursday, 26 May 2011
Duty Station: Washington, D.C., United States of America
Organization unit: AM Americas (AM)
Sustainable Development and Environmental Health (SDE)/Planning Budget and Resource Coordination (PBR)
OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMME :
The Area of Sustainable Development and Environmental Health (SDE) represents a multidisciplinary team that, together with other technical areas and collaborating centers, leads innovative, inter-sectoral and strategic efforts to address the determinants of health, to reduce health risks and to promote healthy social and physical environments where people live, study, work and play as a substantial and essential element of Human Security for Sustainable Development and health equity.
Description of duties:
Under the general guidance of the Managers, Planning, Budget, and Resources Coordination (PBR) and External Relations, Resource Mobilization and Partnerships (ERP), and the direct supervision of the Manager, Sustainable Development and Environmental Health (SDE), the incumbent is responsible for the following duties and responsibilities:
a) Participate actively in the Program Management and Partnership Specialist Network (PMPN) led by PBR; and in the Resources Mobilization Network (RMN) led by ERP;
b) Engage in corporate efforts for strategic and operational planning, programming, budgeting and resource coordination and mobilization to enable the entity’s technical cooperation;
c) Support the Manager, Project Coordinators, and Entity personnel in the design, negotiation and implementation of technical cooperation projects, including resource coordination, performance monitoring and assessment, and use of evaluation tools to support the sound management of regular and extra-budgetary funds; provide strategic support and inputs to develop new program initiatives to support the program of work;
d) Ensure that projects managed by the Entity/Team are executed according to action plans and within established dates; ensure timely submission of financial and progress reports in accordance with donor agreements;
e) Support the programmatic impact and ensure a high level of quality, accuracy of methods used to verify progress and the results;
f) Review and analyze progress on technical matters, elaboration and implementation of inter-programmatic and inter-sectoral activities in the context of the PMPN and the RMN;
g) Provide strategic support to develop and strengthen partnerships to synchronized and harmonized development initiatives with governments, development partners, private sectors and civil society organizations within the context of the RMN;
h) Maintain effective partnership with all project stakeholders to exchange critical and technical information and resolve program/project implementation issues to ensure results are achieved as planned;
i) Facilitate the coordination among the American Region Planning and Evaluation System (AMPES) project teams and support them in program management issues, specifically with issues related to the results-based management framework;
j) Oversee the process for implementation of Letters of Agreement (LOAs) of the Entity;
k) Coordinate the implementation of the Entity’s Biennial Work Plan (BWP) and the Semester Work plans (PTS); ensure that the responsible project coordinators provide required planning data and information to adequately assess and report on implementation of Office-Specific Expected Results (OSER’s), Region-wide Expected Results (RERs), AMPES projects, products/services, or milestones;
l) Support the Manager in leading the coordination of the performance monitoring and assessment of the Entity’s BWP and the PTS, including the preparation of reports; advising on setting realistic targets and milestones and ensuring up-to-date information to monitor progress on BWP and PTS implementation;
m) Assist in the review and analysis of issues and trends relating to the Entity’s technical matters in which he/she can add value. Support the preparation of various written outputs, e.g., draft background papers, analysis, sections of reports and studies and other inputs to technical publications. Provide assistance to the preparation of technical documents for Governing Body meetings;
n) Manage personnel and technical activities related to information and knowledge management (web sites and presentations) in support of the Entity/Team program of work;
o) Support the Manager in the analysis of the staffing needs of the Entity/Team, particularly with respect to the competencies needed to execute the program of work. Provide input in this regard to the Manager, Team Coordinator and Administrative Officer for preparation and periodic review of the Human Resources (HR) Plan;
p) Work in close coordination and interaction with the Entity’s Administrative Team;
q) When called upon to directly supervise staff, establish clear work objectives, conduct timely and effective performance appraisals, provide coaching and feedback, and support staff development opportunities;
r) Perform other related duties, as assigned.
A bachelor’s degree in a health or social science from a recognized university.
Desirable: A master’s degree in public health would be an asset.
– Intrainstitutional Action: Operates in a fair, consistent and equitable manner, and displays such behavior by example. Ensures that the mission and the values of the Organization as well as the setting in which projects will be carried out are the drivers in one’s technical work. Understands the results required and performs to that standard. Behaves consistently in accordance with the Code of Ethics of the Organization.
– Analysis, Synthesis, and Forecasting: Takes or organizes individual and collective action after analyzing situations on the basis of the available evidence and knowledge. Continuously analyzes the evolution of situations in an area of work and makes suggestions to adjust or confirm the decisions necessary to implement required actions. Is capable of anticipating the implications of an analyzed situation between six months to one year ahead.
– Teamwork: Promotes team work and leads one’s area to finish tasks and accept responsibility. Creates a positive environment within the area of work. Makes everyone feel like they are part of the team as well as welcomes and appreciates everyone’s ideas and suggestions. Able to see the positive aspects of working as a team, shares the team’s enthusiasm for achieving mutual goals.
– Accountability: Identifies, in conjunction with management, specific activities, processes jobs that require defined accountability, linking them to accountability strategies and objectives. Revises periodically progress made in the established work plan with his/her supervisor. Constantly reaches their objectives.
– Knowledge Management: Shares knowledge and information appropriately and participates in activities to facilitate sharing. Develops tools and protocols for creation, integration and dissemination of knowledge. Researches opportunities, methods and approaches for delivering value through improved knowledge.
– Thinking, planning and the strategic management of technical cooperation interventions: Proposes priority ideas for executing interventions after anticipating their critical points, eventual risks and solutions. Evaluates proposals for interventions before making decisions to execute them. Lays the technical foundations for executing technical cooperation interventions following the Organization’s strategy in order to generate the expected results.
– Evaluation of technical cooperation interventions: Proposes criteria for evaluating interventions at the process, management, and outcome level, in addition to plans for evaluating technical cooperation, in keeping with the PAHO’s strategic direction.
– Resource Mobilization: Establishes partnerships and alliances with a variety of institutions and organizations as well as internal partnerships to obtain financial and non-financial resources. Is able to relate with all types of people and at all levels in order to obtain resources that are needed. Is able to present and disseminate information in a clear manner. Executes resources according to the agreements previously established with partnerships.
* Practical knowledge of results-based management concepts and tools and their applications; especially related to outcome formulation and indicator development;
* Theoretical and practical knowledge of international technical cooperation, with emphasis in the negotiation and management of international cooperation programs and projects;
* Mature judgment, strong technical, analytical and conceptual skills; demonstrated ability to assess, analyze, synthesize and provide recommendation on key technical issue;
* Ability to integrate managerial and technical inputs into recommendations for decision-making process; ability to manage multiple issues and tasks in a complex organizational environment;
* Ability to create and advocate innovative approaches to facilitate and enhance project management capacity, as well as monitoring of these processes;
* Excellent organizational and analytic skills combined with strong professional oral and writing skills including the development of reports, oral presentations, and technical/persuasive documents for consideration at the highest levels of the Organization.
Demonstrated ability to effectively use a computer and utilize software programs such as Microsoft Office Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint and Outlook. Other IT skills and knowledge of other software programs such as Visio and Project will be an asset.
Seven years of combined national and international experience in the fields of health planning, project management, monitoring and evaluation, including experience in strategy formulation and strategic resource allocation.
Very good knowledge of Spanish or English with a working knowledge of the other language. Knowledge of French and/or Portuguese would be an asset.
A WRITTEN TEST AND/OR INTERVIEW MAY BE HELD FOR THIS POST. CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED ONLY IF THEY ARE UNDER SERIOUS CONSIDERATION. ALL APPLICANTS ARE REQUIRED TO COMPLETE AN ON-LINE PERSONAL HISTORY FORM. THE POST DESCRIPTION IS THE OFFICIAL DOCUMENTATION FOR ORGANIZATIONAL PURPOSES.
(Net of tax)
US $56,000. at single rate
US $60,000. with primary dependants
40.7 % of the above figure(s). This percentage is to be considered as indicative since variations may occur each month either upwards or downwards due to currency exchange rate fluctuations or inflation.
Online applications are strongly encouraged to enable WHO to store your profile in a permanent database. Please visit WHO’s e-Recruitment website at: www.who.int/employment . The system provides instructions for online application procedures.
All applicants are encouraged to apply online as soon as possible after the vacancy has been posted and well before the deadline stated in the vacancy announcement.
WHO is committed to workforce diversity.
Any appointment/extension of appointment is subject to WHO Staff Regulations, Staff Rules and Manual. Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
PAHO has a smoke-free environment and does not recruit smokers or users of any form of tobacco.
Regional Office of the World Health Organization
525 Twenty-third Street, N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20037
(202) Tel: 974-3000, Fax: 974-3663
Incoming search terms for the article:
- powered by phpBB definition
- powered by phpBB definitions
- powered by phpBB write a business letter
- Powered by Article Dashboard science fair display board
- Powered by Article Dashboard program management
- Powered by Article Dashboard types of forecasting methods
- Powered by Article Dashboard forecasting methods in administration
- Powered by Article Dashboard definition of regional planning
- Powered by Article Dashboard set up science fair board
- powered by phpBB definition of regional planning