Job Vacancies Open Society Foundations
International Women’s Program
Open Society Institute – New York
Position: Executive Assistant
Location: United States of America ( The ), New York
Closing Date: Friday, 16 December 2011
The Open Society Foundations work to build vibrant and tolerant democracies whose governments are accountable to their citizens. To achieve this mission, the Foundations seek to shape public policies that assure greater fairness in political, legal, and economic systems and safeguard fundamental rights. On a local level, the Open Society Foundations implement a range of initiatives to advance justice, education, public health, and independent media. At the same time, we build alliances across borders and continents on issues such as corruption and freedom of information. The Foundations place a high priority on protecting and improving the lives of people in marginalized communities.
Investor and philanthropist George Soros established the Open Society Foundations, starting in 1984, to help countries make the transition from communism. Our activities have grown to encompass the United States and more than 70 countries in Europe, Asia, Africa and Latin America. Each foundation relies on the expertise of boards composed of eminent citizens who determine individual agendas based on local priorities.
Job Vacancies Purpose of Position
Provide general administrative support to the Director. Work is carried out under general supervision.
Job Vacancies Essential Duties and Responsibilities
* Screen incoming calls and correspondence, direct to appropriate project staff and draft routine project correspondence;
* Maintain calendar for the Director, including schedule and confirm meetings, reserve meeting rooms and organize materials;
* Maintain contact list and files and oversee electronic mail distribution lists;
* Maintain departmental filing system;
* Handle paperwork to initiate new hire process;
* Assist with administrative and logistical issues for meetings, travel arrangements, which include scheduling airline tickets and hotel, coordinate trip with other travelers and ensure that supporting travel documentation is in place;
* Arrange for approval of payments for staff, consultants and grantees;
* Coordinate purchases of equipment, furniture and other materials with Facilities Manager/Systems Department;
* Liaise with the International Womens Program Advisory Board as needed;
* Gather and organize briefing materials in advance of meetings;
* As directed, conduct internet research for materials, provided to Director, for use in articles and speeches;
* Advise staff of routine OSI financial and legal procedures and implementation;
* Review consultant proposals for content in keeping with OSI project descriptions and maintain a list of contracts both pending and approved;
* Assist with preparation of the administrative annual budget;
* Travel may be required;
* Perform other duties as assigned.
Job Vacancies The Open Society Foundations may add, change, or remove essential and other duties at any time.
* Bachelors degree from a four-year college or university and three to five years of relevant experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
* Office management and executive assistant experience required;
* Basic financial expertise and budgeting background helpful.
Job Vacancies Skills Required
* Excellent written, verbal, organizational, analytical and interpersonal skills;
* Excellent computer skills, proficient in Microsoft Office;
* Excellent listening and communication skills with sensitivity to cultural communication differences;
* Show discretion and ability to handle confidential issues;
* High level of self-motivation and at ease working independently when necessary;
* Poised and works well under pressure;
* Attentive to detail and prioritizes often simultaneously on a wide range of tasks and projects;
* Flexibility and willingness to work simultaneously on a wide range of tasks and projects and ability to prioritize tasks;
* Pleasant, diplomatic manner and disposition in interacting with senior management, co-workers and the general public.
Job Vacancies Program Specific Requirements
* Womens studies degree and/or interest in Womens issues with an international focus a plus;
* Ability to focus on details and carry-out follow through diligently;
* Ability to compose succinct, thoughtful correspondence.
Job Vacancies Work Environment and Physical Demands
Essential functions are typically performed in an office setting with a low level of noise. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Job Vacancies Compensation
Commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits package.
Please email resume and cover letter with salary requirements before December 16, 2011, to: email@example.com. Include job code in subject line: EA-IWP
Open Society Foundations
Human Resources Code EA-IWP
400 West 59th Street
New York, New York 10019
No phone calls, please. The Open Society Foundations are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Job Vacancies Open Society Institute – New York
400 West 59th Street
New York New York 10019 United States
Tel: 212-548-0600 or 212-548-0100
Fax 212-548-4679 or 212-548-4600