Job Vacancies Office of the Under-Secretary-General
Job Title Information Systems Officer (User Interface Architect), P4
Department/ Office OFFICE OF THE UNDER-SECRETARY-GENERAL – DM
Duty Station NEW YORK
Closing Date: Friday, 04 February 2011
Job Opening number 11-IST-OFFICE OF USG – DEPT OF MGMT-17937-R-NEW YORK (O)
United Nations Core Values: Integrity, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity
Org. Setting and Reporting
Umoja is a continuous organizational transformation, enabling high-quality, cost-effective service delivery for evolving United Nations mandates, anywhere in the world. By updating skills, harmonizing practices and applying global technology, Umoja maximizes productivity of the UN’s human, financial and material resources. Umoja transcends organizational, geographical and functional barriers, fostering a culture of transparency, accountability, empowerment, sharing and unity across the United Nations. Umoja is a part of the Department of Management in New York. For more information on Umoja visit: http://www.unumoja.org/display/umoja/Umoja.
This position is located in the Umoja Technical and Data Team and the incumbent reports to the Senior Information Systems Officer (User Interface).
(1) Design and implement Umoja user interface, with a particular focus on Mobile applications, and taking into consideration both connected and disconnected modes;
(2) Ensure a consistent and a superior user experience to Umoja user interface, in particular the mobile applications;
(3) Design and run tests to evaluate and improve the usability of the Umoja user interface, including mobile applications;
(4) Establish policies and recommendations on the use of SAP NetWeaver Portal, mobile devices Software Development Kit (SDK) and Mobile Enterprise Application Frameworks (MEAP);
(5) Design procedures to manage central administration and deployment of the Umoja Mobile applications;
(6) Assist with oversight and management of System Integrator (SI) and other technical team members (i.e. perform code and technical documentation reviews to ensure completeness and compliance with defined standards, monitor activities of on-site and off-shore resources to guarantee change control procedures are respected etc.);
(7) Perform any other duties as required.
Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter in design, development and implementation of software applications, using markup and programming languages for building web user interfaces, and programming languages and frameworks for implementing enterprise software systems. Demonstrated ability to provide innovative technical solutions to meet business needs; innovation will be demonstrated through design and development of Mobile applications and superior user interfaces, taking into consideration current and emerging standards and best practices for UI design. Promotes the use of cutting edge technologies such as SOA, Ajax, Mashups, Web Services, REST Services, and JSON. Demonstrates ability to apply good judgment; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving quality results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Ability to identify risks to project deliverables and deadlines and manage these risks in consultation with colleagues and the project management team. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Actively seeks to improve services; offers new and different options to solve problems or meet client needs; promotes and persuades others to consider new ideas; takes calculated risks on new and unusual ideas; thinks “outside the box”, especially in the area of User Interface design for Mobile and other devices; takes an interest in new ideas and new ways of doing things; is not bound by current thinking or traditional approaches.
Planning and organizing:
Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in electrical engineering, computer science, information systems or related fields. A first-level university degree in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
The following is required: A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible experience related to application design, development, implementation and support of desktop and web applications, four of which should include working with user-interface design and Mobile technologies; a minimum of three years of development experience in multi-tier applications using SOA principles/technology; and experience in creating requirements for procuring hardware devices and software for Mobile solutions, including providing technical input to and evaluating requests for proposals of hardware and software . The following is desirable: Experience developing mobile solutions for Supply Chain processes (warehouse management, asset management, receipt and inspection), experience developing web applications for mobile and ruggedized devices using SAP Netweaver Mobile or any Mobile Enterprise Applications Framework, experience developing user interfaces for applications that are deployed in low-bandwidth areas (areas where connectivity is a challenge).
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of a second official UN language, preferably French is desirable.
United Nations Considerations
The United Nations shall place no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. (Charter of the United Nations – Chapter 3, article 8). The United Nations Secretariat is a non-smoking environment.
Evaluation of qualified applicants for this position may include a substantive assessment followed by a competency-based interview.
Appointment of the successful candidate on this position will be limited to the initial funding of the post. Further extension is subject to budgetary approval.
Appointments of staff members in the United Nations are subject to the authority of the Secretary-General. Staff Members are expected to move periodically to new functions in accordance with established rules and procedures, and may in this context be reassigned by the Secretary-General throughout the Organization based on the changing needs and mandates.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, TRAINING OR ANY OTHER FEES). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON BANK ACCOUNTS.
UN Umoja Offices
150 E 42nd Street
Mobil Building, 24th floor
(between Lexington and 3rd Avenue)
Incoming search terms for the article:
- Powered by Article Dashboard electrical engineering
- pligg content management system science degree
- pligg content management system french general
- pligg content management system business ideas opportunities
- Powered by Article Dashboard innovative business ideas
- pligg content management system search engineering
- pligg content management system business management degree
- pligg content management system electrical engineering jobs
- pligg content management system business development jobs
- pligg content management system home based business ideas