Job Vacancies Office of the Coordinator of Humanitarian Affairs
Job Title Information Systems Assistant, G5
Department/ Office OFFICE FOR THE COORDINATION OF HUMANITARIAN AFFAIRS
Duty Station NEW YORK
Posting Period 4 April 2011-4 May 2011
Job Opening number 11-IST-ocha-18009-R-NEW YORK
United Nations Core Values: Integrity, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity
Org. Setting and Reporting
This position is located in the Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs, Information Technology Section, (OCHA / ITS) The incumbent reports to the Information Technology Officer.
Within delegated authority, the Information Technology Assistant will be responsible for the following duties:
Acts as focal point for receipt and processing of user requests.
Provides support on relevant systems applications in assigned area.
Installs application systems software and hardware according to specifications.
Provides basic support in the planning, specification, design, development, implementation and maintenance of customized application software systems; works with senior IT staff on the definition and specification of requirements; builds, tests and modifies prototype application software based on detailed instructions; installs and maintains software systems.
Supports senior staff in the creation and maintenance of application software within Lotus Notes, Microsoft Access and web-based architectures, etc.; assists in the preparation of technical and user documentation, as well as in the production of training materials.
Provides support on software development matters, including security, data integrity and recovery; assists with needs assessment for new systems (including modifications to existing systems); performs ongoing reviews with users and developers and responds to requirements; requests, implements, provides operational support and maintains various applications.
Maintains regular contact with users and technical staff in user offices and provides support as required.
Conducts research on new technologies as requested; keeps abreast of developments in the field; assists in testing and evaluating new products and technologies.
Performs other related duties as required.
- Knowledge of relevant programming language(s) and basic programming skills.
- Good technical skills, ability to participate in development and maintenance of applications, provide user support.
- Ability to respond to changing requirements and assignments, ability to apply good judgment in the context of assignments given.
- Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
- Commited to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of work.
- Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals
- Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others
- Places team agenda before personal agenda
- Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position
- Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings
- Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients ” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view
- Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect
- Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions
- Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems
- Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects
- Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client
High school diploma or equivalent.
A minimum of five years of experience in information technology or related area.
English and French are the working languages of the UN Secretariat. For this post, fluency in English (both oral and written) is required. Knowledge of the other is desirable. Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage
United Nations Considerations
The United Nations is committed to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensurng the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of work. The United Nations Secretariat is a nonsmoking environment.
Eligible candidates will be invited to participate in a competency-based panel interview.
This position is for local recruitment. External applicants will be considered only if no suitable internal candidates are found.
Passing the New York Administrative Assessment Support Test (ASAT) is a prerequisite for recruitment consideration in the General Service category in the United Nations Headquarters at New York. To make arrangements to take this test, you may bring in person a copy of your completed Personal History Profile to the General Services and Related Categories Staffing Unit (GSRCSU), United Nations Secretariat, located at One United Nations Plaza (at corner of 1st Avenue and 44th Street), Room DC1-200. GSRCSU receives applicants every Wednesday (except public holidays) between 10.00 am and 12.00 Noon.
Persons wishing to take the ASAT are pre-screened and, if successful, scheduled to sit the ASAT at a later date.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.