Job Vacancies Office of Legal Affairs
Position: Editorial And Desktop Publishing Assistant
Location: United States of America ( The )
Closing Date: Saturday, 07 July 2012
Organizational Setting and Reporting
This position is located in the Treaty Section of the Office of Legal Affairs (OLA). The incumbent reports to the Information Management Officer.
Under the supervision of the Information Management Officer, the Editorial and Desktop Publishing Assistant will be responsible for the following duties:
Compilation in digital formats of documents for printing and storage as final text in the database.
Smooth and timely processing of documents in desktop publishing formats for reproduction and archiving into Documentum.
Identification and retrieval of documents from the United Nations Official Documents System (ODS) and other web-based sources, research and verification of terminology on the Intranet.
Effective and efficient operation of the desktop processes ensuring that all the deadlines have been met and proofs released on time in accordance with established guidelines and standards.
Drafting of official letters to the treaty submitters on text-related problems and following-up on the subsequent correspondence.
Performance of basic proof-reading functions, as well as ensuring that changes marked in the draft copy by editors have been incorporated in the text and alerting the responsible official if obvious errors or discrepancies are found in the translated text.
Registration of incoming/outgoing documents in order to control flow of work in and out of unit.
Maintenance of daily statistics. Performance of administrative work, as needed.
Liaison and interaction with colleagues and staff throughout the Organization in an effective and timely manner.
Performance of other functions as required.
- Knowledge of typographic standards, editorial rules and document production systems
- Good command of United Nations terminology and editorial practices
- The ability to draft, proofread, edit and correct typographical and grammatical errors in English and French texts
- Excellent computer skills and advanced knowledge of image and desktop processing applications
- Demonstrates use of initiative, ability and creativity to effectively attain objectives
- Shows pride in work and in achievements
- Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter
- Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results
- Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns
- Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges
- Remains calm in stressful situations
- Is committed to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of work.
- Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals
- Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others
- Places team agenda before personal agenda
- Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position
- Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Keeps abreast of available technology
- Understands applicability and limitations of technology to the work of the office
- Actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks
- Shows willingness to learn new technology.
High school diploma or equivalent. Must have passed the United Nations Administrative Support Assessment Test (ASAT) at Headquarters or an equivalent locally-administered test at Offices Away.
Courses or certification in desktop publishing or editorial/copy preparation or paralegal field are desirable.
A minimum of seven years of experience in desktop publishing, including copy editing, advanced image manipulation techniques, proof-reading and typographical layout or related area. Excellent computer skills and advanced knowledge of image and desktop processing applications, such as MS Office applications, Photoshop, knowledge of desktop publishing software and familiarity with the electronic document management systems are an advantage.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations. For this position, fluency in English and French (both oral and written) is required. Knowledge of another official UN language is desirable.
Evaluation of qualified applicants may include a competency-based interview.
This position is for local recruitment.
Passing the Administrative Assessment Support Test (ASAT) is a prerequisite for recruitment consideration in the General Service category in the United Nations. To make arrangements to take this test, you may bring in person a copy of your completed Personal History Profile to the General Services and Related Categories Staffing Unit (GSRCSU), United Nations Secretariat, located at One United Nations Plaza (at corner of 1st Avenue and 44th Street), Room DC1-200. GSRCSU receives applicants every Wednesday (except public holidays) between 10.00 am and 12.00 Noon. Persons wishing to take the ASAT are pre-screened and, if successful, scheduled to sit the ASAT at a later date.
United Nations Considerations
The United Nations shall place no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. (Charter of the United Nations – Chapter 3, article 8). The United Nations Secretariat is a non-smoking environment.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.
Incoming search terms for the article:
- pligg content management system english dictionary
- pligg content management system legal
- pligg content management system dictionary
- pligg content management system language
- pligg content management system employee performance management software
- pligg content management system educational technology
- pligg content management system satellite radio system
- pligg content management system law firm jobs
- pligg content management system performance management best
- pligg content management system computer dictionary