Job Vacancies Office of Human Resources Management
Medical Service Division
Job Title Senior Medical Officer, P5
Department/ Office MEDICAL SERVICE DIVISION
Duty Station NEW YORK
Posting Period 30 August 2010-29 October 2010
Closing Date Friday, 29 October 2010
Job Opening number 10-ADM-dm ohrm msd-15423-R-NEW YORK(G)
United Nations Core Values: Integrity, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity
Organizational Setting and Reporting
The P-5 Senior Medical Officer (emergency support) is professionally and technically supervised by the Director, Medical Services Division, and, is a member of the Emergency Preparedness Support (EPS) Team for which s/he reports to the Deputy-Director of the Learning, Development and Human Resources Services Division OHRM in respect of EPS-related operational matters.
S/he takes primary responsibility for the medical-related components of the Team’s work, and serves as the Medical Service Division’s focal point for emergency preparedness and mass casualty response issues.
Specific duties and tasks:
Develops planning tools and templates to enable duty stations to develop risk based emergency medical preparedness plans;
Monitors and supports duty stations in developing, evaluating and testing their emergency medical preparedness and mass casualty response plans with frequent, clear communication with all parties involved.Engages in brief field missions to assess and monitor requirements and provide support at duty stations.
Develops requisite training and capacity building programmes and tools in respect of medical and medico-administrative capacity for EPS, including with respect to Staff counselling, EPS Focal points, etc
Contributes to the development and availability of trained medical response teams (UNMERT) for deployment to areas where emergencies have occurred and deploys when neccesary to the field with UNMERT.
Ensures medico-administrative support for deployed teams.
Assists and advises on required evacuations and access to medical care;
Coordinates and monitors immediate and long term medical care for victims in consultation with the Chief Human Resources Services Service and EPS Team leader, as well as concerned Departments/offices, as required.
Assists victims with respect of occupational and medical aspects of coverage and claims administration, including under Appendix D, Malicious Acts Insurance, and the UN Joint Staff Pension Fund.
Advises and assists EPS Team, in accordance with United Nations rules and regulations, in respect of relevant HR policy reviews and formulation, the proceedings of HLC Insurance, HLC Management, Appendix D, Security/HR Network groups and matters.
Serves as focal point for OHRM’s review of instructions, Medical Standards, field dispensaries, etc, in respect of EPS, as applicable.
jointly with EPS’s Policy officer assigned to EPS Team, interacts and participates in DSS’s security and evacuation related matters ;
- Knowledge of clinical, emergency and tropical/travel medicine.
- Formal training in CPR and either in BCLS , ACLS or equivalent emergency medical care.
- Handles complex organizational issues in a sensitive and confidential manner.
- Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals.
- Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others.
- Places team agenda before personal agenda.
- Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position.
- Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Planning & Organizing:
- Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies.
- Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required.
- Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work.
- Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning.
- Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary.
- Uses time efficiently.
- Serves as a role model that other people want to follow.
- Empowers others to translate vision into results.
- Is proactive in developing strategies to accomplish objectives.
- Establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of people to understand needs and gain support.
- Anticipates and resolves conflicts by pursuing mutually agreeable solutions.
- Drives for change and improvement; does not accept the status quo.
- Shows the courage to take unpopular stands.
- Identifies the key issues in a complex situation, and comes to the heart of the problem quickly.
- Gathers relevant information before making a decision.
- Considers positive and negative impacts of decisions prior to making them.
- Takes decisions with an eye to the impact on others and on the Organization.
- Proposes a course of action or makes a recommendation based on all available information.
- Checks assumptions against facts.
- Determines that the actions proposed will satisfy the expressed and underlying needs for the decision.
-Makes tough decisions when necessary.
Doctorate (MD) or equivalent in medicine, including residency or internship in a medical specialty, preferably internal medicine.
A minimum of 10 years of progressively responsible experience in one of the areas of medicine, specifically with respect to medical emergency operations and planning, long-term medical and welfare care, disability management and the related medical administrative processes. Experience in field operations is desirable.
Fluency in one of the working languages of the UN Secretariat, English or French, (both oral and written) is required; knowledge of the other is desirable. Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage
United Nations Considerations
The United Nations shall place no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. (Charter of the United Nations – Chapter 3, article 8). The United Nations Secretariat is a non-smoking environment.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, TRAINING OR ANY OTHER FEES). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON BANK ACCOUNTS.
Incoming search terms for the article:
- www fct gov ng
- Msd tanzania
- msd tanzania vacancies
- msd tanzania job opportunities
- www fct gov ng/vacancies
- msd vacancies
- msd tanzania vacancy
- united nations medical services division
- un medical services division