Job Vacancies National Democratic Institute for International Affairs (NDI)
Position: Program/Senior Program Officer-CEWA
Closing Date: Friday, 11 February 2011
Location: United States of America (the) – Washington, DC
The Central and West Africa team is seeking a Program Officer or a Senior Program Officer with political and managerial experience to support NDI’s democratic development programs in the Francophone West Africa sub-region. The position will be based in Washington, D.C. The Program Officer or Senior Program Officer will work as part of a team to develop and manage democratic development programs; draft reports and proposals; monitor program budgets; and act as a liaison with members of the international community, including U.S. government agencies. NDI’s Francophone West Africa programs include political party and civil society development; election processes and domestic monitoring; legislative strengthening; and promoting women’s political participation. In the sub-region, NDI has country offices in Burkina Faso, Cote d’Ivoire, Guinea, Mali, Niger and Togo.
* Drafts and edits proposals, work plans, quarterly and other reports.
* Develops program concepts and leads strategic discussions; manages the proposal development process and timeline for proposal submissions; develops program objectives, results and indicators, as well as program strategy.
* Anticipates programmatic needs; provides guidance to junior staff; and ensures that field teams receive needed administrative and programmatic backstopping in DC.
* Oversees programmatic progress and measures program performance, timing and results.
* Serves as point of contact for field office teams.
* Monitors budgets and expenditures for assigned programs.
* Ensures that donor regulations and NDI policies are followed by program staff in DC and the field.
* Monitors regional political developments and provides political and programmatic analysis.
* Represents NDI at conferences and meetings with funders and donors and members of the foreign policy community.
* Travels to the region as needed to assist with program implementation, reporting, monitoring and evaluation.
* Provides support for local and regional program conferences, workshops and meetings.
* Recruits and briefs international trainers and consultants.
* Builds and maintains collaborative relationships with international democratic development organizations, civic organizations and NDI’s network of volunteer trainers and experts.
* Master’s degree preferably in International Relations or related subject: Additional years of relevant work experience may be substituted for educational requirement.
* A minimum of four (4) years for a Program Officer or six (6) years for a Senior Program Officer of relevant work experience in international development, political campaigns, organizational development, legislative affairs, community organizing, or equivalent experience at NDI.
* Experience in program design and budget management.
* Exceptional oral communication skills to effectively present information, respond to questions.
* Exceptional writing skills to effectively create clear and concise proposals and reports
* Experience living and working overseas, preferably in the region.
* A good understanding of African politics.
* Excellent interpersonal skills and cultural sensitivity to effectively interact with all levels of staff, US and foreign government personnel, members of donor organizations, funders, policy makers and program partners.
* Strong managerial skills and ability to mentor and direct the work of junior staff.
* Capacity to work both independently and as a member of a team.
* Working knowledge of PC-based word processing and spreadsheet applications.
* Ability and willingness to travel to regional locations that may be remote and difficult to reach, and challenging political environments.
* French language fluency strongly preferred.
NDI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status or any other characteristic protected by law.
How to apply
All applicants must apply by going to this site:
National Democratic Institute for International Affairs
2030 M Street Northwest
Reference Code: RW_8C4CDX-81
Incoming search terms for the article:
- international democratic institute
- National Democratic Institute for International Affairs guinée
- powered by SMF legal questions to establish racial discrimination
- ndi cewa
- powered by SMF 2 0 sacramento public radio
- vacancies at national democratic institute
- vacancies at ndi
- powered by SMF 2 0 performance review institute inc
- powered by SMF 2 0 performance appraisal gender discrimination
- powered by SMF 2 0 legal questions to establish racial discrimination