Job Vacancies National Democratic Institute
Position: Program Officer – CEWA
Location: United States of America
Closing Date: Monday, 24 October 2011
The National Democratic Institute for International Affairs (NDI) seeks a Program Officer with political and organizational expertise to support NDI’s democratic development programs Central and West Africa. The position will be based in Washington, D.C. The Program Officer will assist with the management of democratic development programs in selected countries and assist in developing new programs.
Job Vacancies Background
In an effort to assist countries in Central and West Africa develop and sustain democratic forms of governance, NDI conducts programs throughout the region to support electoral processes, strengthen political parties, increase citizen involvement in political processes and build legislative capacity. The Institute also conducts activities to promote the political participation of women, youth and other marginalized sectors of society.
Job Vacancies Responsibilities:
* In partnership with field staff, plans and oversees implementation of program activities in assigned countries.
* Drafts, or oversees drafting and submission of board memos, proposals, work plans, quarterly and other reports with minimal substantive guidance.
* Collaboratively develops program concepts and strategies, including objectives and evaluation frameworks; manages proposal process and timeline for proposal submissions.
* Leads work plan discussions and manages process for work plan drafting and submission.
* Anticipates program needs and ensures that field offices receive needed administrative or program backstopping in DC.
* Ensures that program progress is appropriately measured and shares results with donors, NDI counterparts and other stakeholders.
* Serves as primary point of contact on assigned countries and represents NDI at local conferences and meetings with NGO community, funders and donors and members of the foreign policy community to assist with NDI’s public outreach.
* Serves as primary point of contact for country directors in assigned countries.
* Regularly monitors program finances and takes responsibility for management ofprogram funds.
* Travels to the region to assess new opportunities, participate in and evaluate current projects, and negotiate with key program contacts, political leaders, donors and others.
* Provides support for local and regional program conferences, workshops and meetings; organizes major cross-functional workshops; organizes delegations abroad.
* Recruits international trainers, volunteers and staff for numerous positions within the assigned regional department; initiates and coordinates cross-team programming activities; directs collaboration within the team and between teams.
* Ensures that donor regulations and NDI policies are followed by program staff in DC and the field.
* Undertakes additional duties as determined by the Program Manager, Deputy Regional Director or Regional Director.
Job Vacancies Requirements:
* Bachelor’s degree in political science, international relations, law, international development or related subject; graduate degree preferred.
* A minimum of four (4) years relevant work experience in international development, community organizing, political campaigns, organizational development, legislative affairs, or equivalent experience at NDI. Additional years of relevant work experience may be substituted for educational requirement.
* Experience designing and writing project proposals and work plans.
* Experience in results-oriented program design, strategic planning, and program evaluation techniques preferred.
* Superior oral and written communication skills to effectively present information in a clear and persuasive manner in English.
* Ability to speak and write French in a work environment required; additional knowledge of languages of Central Africa a plus.
* Experience developing and managing budgets and knowledge of basic budget and accounting procedures.
* Demonstrated competency in one or more areas of NDI’s functional areas.
* Strong project management and political analytical skills for interpreting complex program and political issues and relating to program objectives.
* Strong managerial and interpersonal skills and cultural sensitivity to effectively interact with all levels of staff, U.S. and foreign government personnel and members of donor organizations.
* High degree of organization, initiative and attention to detail.
* Interest in and knowledge of regional political environment and people.
* Experience living and working experience outside the U.S. preferred.
* Working knowledge of Microsoft Windows environment, email technology and spreadsheets.
* Ability and willingness to travel to regional locations, which are often remote or lacking modern communications or transportation infrastructure.
Please apply directly at:
Job Vacancies National Democratic Institute (NDI)
2030 M Street, NW, Fifth Floor
Washington, DC 20036-3306