Job Vacancies Mercy Corps
Position: Regional Finance Officer
Closing Date: Monday, 11 October 2010
Location: United States of America (the) – Portland
The International Finance Department plays a key role in supporting financial operations in Mercy Corps’ country programs throughout the world by working collaboratively with country finance staff and providing guidance in grant management, budgeting, accounting and other financial functions in accordance with Mercy Corps’ internal policies and procedures as well as donor regulations. The IF Department ensures the timely, complete and accurate reporting of financial information from Mercy Corps’ country offices and is responsible for ensuring that all financial reporting requirements to donors are met in a timely and accurate way. The IF Department also works closely and collaboratively with the HQ Program Department in support of country program objectives as well as the HQ Accounting Department in support of corporate financial functions.
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
The Regional Finance Officer (RFO) the HQ staff person charged with supporting a regional portfolio of countries, and ensuring that the financial reporting and compliance standards are met throughout the region. The RFO provides technical financial support to the Program Department and the field country offices. This position is responsible for ensuring proper financial management and accuracy of field office finances through support of financial reporting, recruiting and training, communications, compliance, and adherence to budget.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
* Maintain effective contact with Field Country Offices regarding financial reporting and grant regulations, advising and training as needed.
* Prepare required reports to MC and donor agencies (USAID, OFDA, private donors, etc.) based on field expenditures and allowable indirect cost rates.
* In coordination with country offices and HQ/Finance staff, monitor grant spending to ensure timely expenditure of donor funds and project closure.
* Monitor grant-level cash flow and submit funding requests to donor agencies as required by the grant agreement and MC internal procedures.
* Regularly review and assess country compliance with donor and MC financial policies and procedures.
* Monitor country field financial staff training needs and coordinate the design and implementation of appropriate training programs.
* Frequently travel to the countries and provide the technical financial support and oversight. Review and provide feedback on the country finance operations and MC and donor compliance.
* Assist the Program Department in proposal development and revisions by providing financial data as needed and making recommendations regarding budgeting to assure that reasonable provision is included for management, financial management, capacity building and audit.
* Track and monitor submitted and current awards/proposals and assist with preparation of requested attachments (i.e., certifications, audited financial statements, A-133 reports etc.) to donor agency.
* Participate in the design and implementation of policies, procedures, and systems to comply with all applicable financial and accounting regulations.
* Assist in preparation for the MC annual public audit, including preparing assigned audit schedules and gathering other information as needed.
* Facilitate the opening and closing of a country program (including emergency programs) by providing financial guidance and assistance.
* Provide assistance in the recruitment, training, assessment and professional development of local and international MC finance staff in the region.
* Coordinate with peers to share knowledge and develop best practices for RFOs and country Finance Managers.
* Monitor implementation of action/corrective country action plans relative to both internal and external audits.
* Other duties as assigned or requested.
Organizational Learning: As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve – we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries: Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts towards accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: None
REPORTS DIRECTLY TO: Director of International Finance
WORKS DIRECTLY WITH: Field Staff, Country Field Finance Managers, RFOs & Assistant Finance Officers, Accounting Supervisor, Finance Training and Compliance, Corporate Finance and Program Operations.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
* BA/S or equivalent in accounting or relevant field
* 5 years finance and management experience and 2 years experience managing grants.
* 2 years international NGO/PVO experience is required.
* Demonstrated experience and skill with budget preparation and analysis, financial reporting preparation and presentation and the proven ability to translate technical financial data into informative reports.
* Knowledge of rules and regulations governing the compliance/regulatory management of grants from US Government (USAID, OFDA, UN) and other agencies
* Experience with MS Office and Accounting (general ledger) software is required
* Demonstrated experience and understanding of generally accepted accounting principles, financial reporting, accounting systems, and budget development and administration is required
* Employment overseas and experience working for and NGO and with USAID/EU funded projects is preferred.
* Foreign language abilities, especially Spanish, French or Arabic, a plus.
The successful Regional Finance Officer will have a strong understanding of multi-donor finance and accounting in a relief and development setting. The ability to thrive in a fast-paced, multi-tasking environment while maintaining the respect of staff and colleagues is essential for this position. The successful Regional Finance Officer will demonstrate a strong understanding for cultural, political and religious environment in different regions.
The most successful Mercy Corps staff members have a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability, and make effective communication a priority in all situations. Mercy Corps is a highly collaborative and lateral organization that encourages strong self-initiative as well as team spirit. In order to succeed in this environment, the candidate should be highly organized, and innovative. They should also demonstrate proud workmanship, good communication and collaborations skills.
LIVING CONDITIONS/ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS:
Expected to travel 25-30% of the time.
Mercy Corps Team members represent the agency both during and outside of work hours when deployed in a field posting or on a visit/TDY to a field posting. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
How to apply
Apply online at our website:
45 SW Ankeny St
Portland, Oregon 97204
Tel: (503) 796-6800
Reference Code: RW_889APT-22
Incoming search terms for the article:
- multi tasking staff recruitment
- recruitment of multi tasking staff
- www multitaskingstaff
- regional finance officer
- regional finance manager mercy corps
- regional finance manager ngo
- Regional Finance Manager/Officer NGO in Africa
- Regional Finance Officer - Africa
- Regional Finance Officer Mercy Corps
- www multitaskingstaff recruits