Job Vacancies Mercy Corps
Position: Finance Training Officer
Closing Date: Friday, 10 December 2010
Location: United States of America (the) – Portland, OR
Please note successful candidate must be able to obtain work authorization for any US employer.
The Finance Training and Compliance Department (FTC) provides support to Mercy Corps’ field operations in the areas of finance training, finance systems and processes, compliance with internal policies and procedures, and compliance with donor regulations. Our mission is to increase the level of knowledge and the availability of tools and resources to promote the highest possible standards of financial accountability, transparency, efficiency and donor compliance.
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
Working in the FTC Department under the direction of the Director and in close collaboration with the Training and Compliance Officer, the Finance Training Officer will help develop the overall departmental training strategy and develop, document and deliver finance and compliance related training programs for field based staff and HQ staff that supports the field. The Finance Training Officer will have primary responsibility for the development and on-going management of the Country Finance Manager Orientation Program and will participate and/or lead other departmental training initiatives. The Finance Training Officer will also spend approximately 50% of her/his time participating in the Financial Software Replacement Project (FSRP) to support the development of the worldwide system training program and training materials.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Develop, in conjunction with FTC, International Finance (IF), PALM and other staff, training programs and materials for new finance and compliance related training initiatives based on departmental strategy and plan.
2. Based on an agreed plan, lead the development and on-going management of the Country Finance Manager Orientation Program. Coordinate with IF on updating and improving the overall orientation program, including the development of a blended learning strategy using a variety of methodologies, content and training materials. In coordination with IF and Country Directors, deliver and/or coordinate the delivery of the orientation trainings to new Country Finance Managers/Directors or refreshers, as needed.
3. Serve as the Training Lead for the Financial Software Replacement Project. Working with the FTC Director and the FSRP team, the Training Lead will coordinate the overall training program and will be responsible for documenting the worldwide training plan, coordinating training activities, including HQ training sessions, field training programs and Train the Trainer programs. The Training Lead will also develop and/or support the development of related training materials, including the documentation of desktop procedures, Quick Reference Guides, etc. and will work closely with the LOE E-Learning Specialist to support the development of any e-learning or other technology-based modules. The Training Lead will serve as part of the training team for the Phase II worldwide roll-out of the software to country programs.
4. In coordination with the FTC Director and FTC Officer, deliver global, regional and/or country level US Government Regulations Compliance workshops as scheduled. Assist with the update and maintenance of related training materials.
5. Manage the “Just-in-Time” finance training series of targeted, topical trainings and deliver and/or coordinate delivery of the sessions via webinar, based on the agreed schedule.
6. In coordination with PALM and LOE, serve as the lead for the finance portion of any training programs for non-finance staff, such as the Program Support Training initiative and Country Director Pipeline initiative. Update related modules as needed and deliver trainings based on an agreed schedule.
7. Assist with the Worldwide Finance Conference and regional finance conferences as scheduled.
8. In coordination with IF, deploy to field offices for short duration targeted trainings, On-the-Job mentoring, office start-up assistance and other training assistance, as necessary and as time allows.
9. Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
10. Other duties as assigned.
Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts towards accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve – we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: None
REPORTS TO: Director of Finance Training and Compliance
WORKS DIRECTLY WITH: Financial Software Replacement Project Team, International Finance, Country Finance Managers and finance staff, PALM, HQ POps, LOE E-Learning Specialist
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
* 5 or more years of finance experience, including accounting, budgeting and financial management.
* A university degree in finance, accounting or a related business field is required.
* 3 years of experience in the Finance Department of a non-government organization with international assistance operations is required. A combination of Headquarters-based and field operations experience is highly desirable. Experience in Mercy Corps’ financial operations, policies and procedures is also desirable.
* Solid understanding of grant management and major international donor rules, especially US government regulations is required.
* Advanced computer skills in MS Office programs, particularly Excel, and prior experience with complex general ledger software is required.
* Demonstrated experience in developing training programs, including the development of blended learning approaches, e-learning and other web-based delivery methods as well as live trainings, workshops and conferences is strongly preferred. Prior experience in delivering and developing financial software training and knowledge of adult learning concepts are highly desirable.
* Excellent oral and written English skills are required. Experience in developing training materials, writing user guides and other documentation as well as delivering live training to audiences of various sizes is preferred.
The ability to communicate clearly and effectively with staff at all levels as well as at HQ and in the field is critical. The ability to take financial data and concepts and present them in a meaningful way to both finance staff and non-finance staff is essential. The successful candidate will have the ability to manage project-based work, meet short-term and long-term deadlines and be effective in a team environment. The Finance Training Officer must be comfortable delivering live training to large audiences or via webinar and must be able to independently write large volumes of systems training documentation. The ideal candidate will have both financial subject matter expertise as well as some experience in developing and delivering effective training programs.
LIVING /ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS:
The location of the position is based in Portland, OR due to the heavy interaction with the Financial System Replacement Project during the first phase of the project. The position may entail, at times, up to 60-70% travel to field locations, including program locations that may include insecure or harsh environments. Mercy Corps Team members represent the agency both during and outside of work hours when deployed in a field posting or on a visit/TDY to a field posting. Staff are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Mercy Corps is an AA/EOE.
How to apply
Apply online at our website:
45 SW Ankeny St
Portland, Oregon 97204
Tel: (503) 796-6800
Reference Code: RW_8A5BNP-8
Incoming search terms for the article:
- www ethiojobs com
- ethiojobs com
- www ethiojob com
- ethiojob com
- ethiojobs com/vacancies
- WWW ETHIO JOBS COM
- ethiojobs com vacancy
- Ethio jobs com
- wwwethiojobs com
- www ethiojops com