Job Vacancies Latin America and the Caribbean Section, New York
Closing Date: Thursday, 18 March 2010
CONSULTANT: LATIN AMERICA AND THE CARIBBEAN SECTION
Location : New York, UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
Application Deadline : 18-Mar-10
Type of Contract : SSA
Languages Required :
Expected Duration of Assignment : Four months
The Latin American and the Caribbean (LAC) Section in New York supports four sub-regional offices in Mexico, Ecuador, Brazil and Barbados, and contributes to global programmes and a variety of corporate initiatives in which the Programme Specialist plays a key role. The consultant of the LAC Section will provide support to the section programmes, projects and other initiatives and activities, including full substantive, financial, administrative support, following UNDP/UNIFEM procedures. She/He will report to the Chief of the Section.
Duties and Responsibilities
Programme and Project Management
* Collaborate with LAC Section Chief, Regional Programme Directors (RPDs) and other Section Staff in the follow up of activities that are being implemented in the region.
* Provide substantive, technical and administrative support to the LAC staff for timely implementation and monitoring of programmes, including ensuring timely disbursements of funds, as well as adherence to policies and procedures.
* In coordination with LAC staff ensure timely reporting to donors and Headquarters on programme implementation while leasing with other UNIFEM departments (i.e. OBDT, Finance).
* Research, write and/or edit project related documents (e. g. project summary sheets, best practices, summary reports, donor reports, fact sheets, etc.), concept paper for donors and contracts for the review committee.
* In coordination with the LAC staff, provide support to RPDs, including substantive, technical, financial and administrative support in the implementation of LAC Strategic Plan (2008-2011) and SRSs.
* Support LAC staff in gathering information on UNIFEM LAC activities for documentation preparation, (Annual LAC Report, Programme Fact Sheets, lessons learned etc.) while linking with other Sections at HQ and sub-regional offices.
* Support working relationships with other stakeholders such as multilateral and bilateral agencies, NGOs, donors, foundations, governments and other relevant networks while undertaking advocacy work and developing supportive networks. Organize, participate and/or represent the LAC Section in internal and external Committees, Task Forces, and other meetings.
Other duties and responsibilities
* Undertake research and reporting as necessary;
* Support substantive, technical, financial, logistic and administrative preparations for workshops, conferences, meetings and other events;
* Undertake other duties as assigned by the Section Chief.
* Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
* Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNIFEM;
* Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
* Substantive knowledge and understanding specifically on gender equality issues as well as more broadly, human rights and development cooperation;
* Substantive experience with development issues in the LAC region;
* Experience in programme design, coordination and implementation;
* Excellent writing skills with demonstrated ability to carry out research, to contribute to the formulation of policies, procedures and guidelines;
* Proficient in IT skills;
* Familiarity with results based management and rights-based programming;
* Familiarity with UN and UNIFEM system.
* Excellent interpersonal communication skills, initiative and dynamism;
* Ability to work in an international and multicultural environment;
* Maturity, ability to take decisions under pressure and ability to deal with matters that are politically or culturally sensitive;
* Ability to work as a member of a team;
* Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
* Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities.
Required Skills and Experience
* A Masters degree in International Affairs, Law, Social Sciences, Economic and Political Development, and/ or a closely related discipline. Gender studies a plus.
* 3 years of progressively responsible experience in international development work preferably focused on, or strongly involving gender equality at national, regional and international levels;
* Knowledge of /or experience with the LAC geographic region.
* Excellent written and spoken English and Spanish;
* working ability in at least one other LAC language (Portuguese, French) is an asset.
Incoming search terms for the article:
- job vacancies in the caribbean
- vacancies latin american studies
- CARIBBEAN IT VACANCY 2010
- vacancies latin america
- lac regional officer vacancy 2011
- russian lawyer new york vacancies
- vacancies in the caribbean
- international job vacancies for medical personnel in latin america
- caribbean regional organizations vacancies
- vacancy latin america