Job Vacancies International Rescue Committee (IRC)
Position: Research and Evaluation Officer
Closing Date: Sunday, 26 December 2010
Location: United States of America (the) – New York, NY
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) is one of the largest humanitarian agencies in the world, providing relief, rehabilitation and post-conflict reconstruction support to victims of oppression and violent conflict. IRC has worked for over seven decades and today is involved in over 25 areas affected by conflict. We address both the immediate, life saving needs of conflict-affected people in an emergency and the reconstruction needs in post-conflict societies.
The International Rescue Committee seeks a full-time officer to support research and evaluation, across technical units including education, gender based violence, health and governance programs. The job requires a mix of operational and research skills, and a strong knowledge of humanitarian and development issues in areas affected by armed conflict. The position will be based in NYC and start around January 1, 2010.
IRC’s Research, Evaluation and Learning Unit aims to improve humanitarian aid and development through rigorous research and evaluation, using multiple methods from a wide range of disciplines. The Research and Evaluation Officer would report to the Director of Research and Evaluation and work with academic partners and with field teams across multiple countries.
Scope of Responsibilities
* Managing and implementing research and evaluation activities, including study designs, questionnaire development, analysis, and dissemination;
* Supporting core research teams, including academic partners, in implementation of research and evaluation and meeting institutional guidelines
* Providing guidance to field offices to develop budgets, oversee data collection, manage consultants, and ensure quality of evaluation design, including reviewing evaluation drafts
* Developing tools and resources to build skills in interpreting research results and using a research-to-action approach to guide program decisions
* Participating in the preparation of grant proposals
* Presenting and publishing research and evaluation findings and translating findings into briefs and other short commentaries targeted to practitioners
* Identifying new developments in sectors and participating in in-house research reviews
The Research and Evaluation Advisor should have the following qualifications:
* Master’s required
* Minimum 2 years research and/or evaluation experience with proficiency in rigorous quantitative or qualitative methods
* Some experience collaborating in research teams
* Experience in developing country and/or conflict-affected contexts;
* Knowledge of the trends and issues in international aid evaluation;
* Strong oral communication, and presenting skills; fluency in English and French.
The chosen candidate will be a proven team player with the ability to participate easily in both academic and practitioner discussions. The candidate must be willing to travel occasionally for research and evaluation activities.
How to apply
Reference Code: RW_8ALP3Y-2
Incoming search terms for the article:
- research and evaluation officer IRC
- research an evaluation officer irc
- International Rescue Committee (IRC) Evaluation Unit
- irc evaluation
- international research committee jobs
- International Rescue Committee (IRC) Jobs
- international rescue committee jobs 2011
- IRC evaluation unit
- IRC evaluation vacancy
- director of research IRC