Job Vacancies International Rescue Committee (IRC)
Position: Capacity Strengthening Officer
Closing Date: Tuesday, 04 January 2011
Location: United States of America (the) – New York
The Watchlist on Children and Armed Conflict is an NGO network that monitors and reports on violations against the rights of children in specific situations of armed conflict. Watchlist uses this information to urge action by the UN Security Council, other UN agencies and governments. Watchlist also provides capacity strengthening support to NGO partners in areas of conflict to build sustainable, grass roots monitoring, reporting and advocacy networks related to violations perpetrated against children in armed conflicts.
SCOPE OF WORK:
The Watchlist Officer will manage Watchlist’s capacity strengthening program on CAAC-monitoring, reporting and response with NGO partners and networks in 4 focus countries. This includes setting the strategic direction of the program, subsequent fundraising and grant & budget management as well as all in-country project management.
The Officer will manage Watchlist’s partnerships in 4 focus countries, including the “Partnerships for Protecting Children in Armed Conflict (PPCC)” in Nepal, as well as projects in DR Congo, Colombia and Burma. The Officer will provide strategic direction to further develop the capacity strengthening program. The officer will lead on fundraising efforts with regard to the Capacity-Strengthening Program, and contribute to grant and budget management. The Officer will also contribute to other areas of Watchlist’s work as relevant, such as international advocacy and policy work, communication and public awareness.
The Officer will supervise Watchlist interns and volunteers hired to support the capacity strengthening program; and provide technical support to in-country capacity-strengthening staff.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Manage capacity strengthening projects (CSP) with locally based NGOs:
* Maintain strong working relationships and communications with partners.
* Provide technical support to partners to ensure successful implementation and completion of projects (including project development, work plans, TORs, trainings, devising advocacy strategies and other support for project activities, including international advocacy initiatives).
* Oversee development of new project proposals, budgets, MOUs, reporting guidelines, legal agreements and any other relevant documentation.
* Contribute to donor reports, proposals and other fundraising activities as related to CSP.
* Support partners to ensure timely submissions of final narrative and financial reports.
* Manage relations with IRC/WRC finance for all CSP sub-granting activities.
* Analyze final project reports and prepare project summaries as required.
* Identify potential new partners for CSP activities in new focus countries as relevant.
* Travel as required (approximately 3-5 site visits per year)
Lead on Watchlist’s CSP Strategic Direction:
* Develop and oversee the implementation of a strategic plan for the Capacity-Strengthening Program on CAAC-monitoring and reporting, including e.g. the use of new strategies and approaches to partnerships; the documentation and extraction of best practices and lessons-learned etc.
* Develop Watchlist’s CSP Operating Manual to systematize all CSP procedures and update the manual as needed.
* Develop or contextualize existing training modules, information sharing systems and other tools for supporting partners as relevant.
* Lead on fundraising efforts to support the implementation of the Capacity-Strengthening Program
Support International Advocacy visits by Local Partners:
* Oversee logistics of travel by local NGO partners to international venues (i.e. New York, Geneva etc) for advocacy purposes (approx 2-3 trips per year.)
* Provide technical support to partners on development of advocacy messages, preparation of materials, presentations, speeches etc.
* Support partners in completing relevant follow up activities at conclusion of trip.
Other CSP related Activities:
* Represent Watchlist in meetings related to CSP as appropriate.
* Contribute to maintenance and development of Watchlist contacts, partners, mailings lists and database related to CSP.
* Develop and produce a quarterly update for partners in the field for information sharing on children and armed conflict developments and issues from the New York perspective.
* Support upkeep of Watchlist website with materials related to CSP.
* Participate in Watchlist strategic planning and governance initiatives.
* Contribute to other areas of Watchlist’s work as needed and appropriate.
* Supervise Watchlist interns hired to support CSP area of work.
* Supervise Watchlist Capacity Strengthening Focal Point Person(s) and/or country-based Coordinators (such as Nepal, DRC, Thai-Burma border, Afghanistan, etc.).
* Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree preferred;
* Previous Project Management experience required;
* Previous child protection field work with grass-roots NGOs, preferably in armed conflict settings;
* Minimum 5 years work experience with at least 2 years work experience on related child protection issues;
* Ability/willingness to travel 35%;
* Working knowledge of French required, fluency preferred;
* Strong organizational skills: the ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment, attention to detail; ability to work independently and problem solve;
* Excellent interpersonal and communication skills: the ability to successfully interact with range of people in various locations;
* Proven writing and editing skills: the ability to draft and edit documents;
* Understanding of international law, protection work and the UN system;
* Flexible work attitude: the ability to work productively in a team environment & independently;
* Management and supervision experience;
* Budget management experience;
* Excellent computer skills: MS Word, Excel and database software.
How to apply
Please apply at: http://tbe.taleo.net/NA2/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=IRC&cws=1&rid=6583
Reference Code: RW_8AVJ32-76
Incoming search terms for the article:
- irc thailand job
- rescue jobs 2010
- ngo job vacancies in thailand
- irc job
- rescue jobs in november 2010
- international vacancies in child protection
- Vacancy Announcement in IRC in Myanmar
- Jobs Vacancy announcement of IRC Thailand
- irc thailand job vacancy
- jobs in irc