Job Vacancies International Monetary Fund (IMF)
Position: Tax Administration Advisor, CARTAC (Barbados)
Location: United States of America (The), Bridgetown, Barbados
Closing Date: Thursday, 31 March 2011
Applications are invited for the position of Tax Administration Advisor at the Caribbean Technical Assistance Center (CARTAC), based in Bridgetown, Barbados. CARTAC is a multi donor-financed institution administered by the International Monetary Fund. The Center provides technical assistance (TA) in economic and financial management to 20 Caribbean countries, through programs covering tax and customs policy and administration (for which there are three advisors, including this position), public financial management, financial sector regulation and supervision, statistics and macro economics.
The successful candidate will be appointed for an initial period of one year. The contract is renewable subject to satisfactory performance, and it is expected that the advisor would spend at least two years in the position. It is expected that the successful candidate will take up the appointment on a date to be agreed in June, 2011.
The advisor’s primary responsibilities will include:
(1) assisting and advising CARTAC members who are adopting a VAT to prepare for and implement the tax, and providing similar assistance and advice following VAT implementation;
(2) assisting and advising members on implementation of other aspects of tax administration reforms, as required;
(3) helping CARTAC members to develop tax administration reform strategies, which are designed in close coordination between these countries and the Fiscal Affairs Department (FAD) of the IMF;
(4) assisting in the preparation and delivery of tax administration training materials and courses for CARTAC members;
(5) providing backstopping support to short term revenue administration experts recruited to deliver technical assistance to CARTAC members; and
(6) coordination with other technical assistance providers working in the region and their experts.
The technical skills and qualifications required for this position include a high level of knowledge in the following areas:
* The legislative and regulatory environment for tax administration;
* Organization, strategic planning and management of a tax agency/department;
* The use of information technology to support tax administration operations;
* The whole range of tax administration technical procedures and controls;
* Policies and activities in the field of tax enforcement and compliance; and
* International best practices in tax administration.
Applicants should have extensive practical experience in a senior position within a tax administration. Preference will be given to applicants who have an all round experience in managing tax operations, with a particular emphasis on VAT; have participated in tax administration reform programs domestically or internationally; have experience in managing or overseeing technical assistance work and coordinating with other donors; and are aware of the issues and challenges facing tax administration reforms in the Caribbean.
General requirements for candidates include:
* Excellent interpersonal skills, and ability to work as part of a team, to maintain effective and cooperative relations with national authorities and with donors, and to handle sensitive issues with discretion in a multicultural environment;
* Full proficiency in English;
* Strong oral and written communication skills;
* Flexibility in resolving issues and addressing changing priorities;
* The ability to use office software (Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, etc) efficiently;
* A university degree in a relevant field and extensive experience in administration and management of VAT and other taxes;
* Willingness to travel extensively in the region.
Previous experience of capacity building in tax administration (such as participating in relevant technical assistance activities and organizing and conducting training courses and workshops) would be an advantage.
Incoming search terms for the article:
- job vacancies in barbados
- cartac barbados
- vacancies in barbados
- IMF statistics job
- imf statistics jobs
- imf tax jobs
- revenue administration adviser jobs
- Job vacancies in the Barbados international agencies 2011
- INTERNATIONAL job vacancies in barbados
- job vacancies in Barbados for 2012