Job Vacancies International Civil Service Commission (ICSC)
Department/ Office International Civil Service Commission
Duty Station NEW YORK
Closing Date: Saturday, 26 May 2012
Job Opening number 12-STT-ICSC-23403-R-NEW YORK (R)
United Nations Core Values: Integrity, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity
Org. Setting and Reporting
This position is located in the Cost-of-Living Division of the International Civil Service Commission (ICSC). The incumbent will report to the Division Chief.
Under general supervision of the Chief of the Cost-of-Living Division and within delegated authority, the Statistician will be responsible for the following duties:
1. Contributing to the development of the cost-of-living measurement methodology and of appropriate methods for obtaining relevant data.
2. Conducting periodic cost-of-living surveys at UN Common system duty stations, and assuring the quality of the collected data with respect to accuracy, consistency and international comparability.
3. Conducting in-depth analyses of cost-of-living data, constructing and updating on a monthly basis cost-of-living indexes that form the basis for the payment of cost-of-living allowances.
4. Contributing to the development of relevant databases, web publishing tools, and other software for the collection, storage and distribution of statistical data .
5. Conducting methodological research in cost-of-living measurement with regard to concepts, methods and definitions.
6. Preparing technical papers for the Commission and its subsidiary body, the Advisory Committee on Post Adjustment Questions (ACPAQ).
7. Providing consulting services to the administrations of organizations and staff representatives on technical aspects of the cost-of-living methodology.
8. Planning, organizing and supervising the work of assigned statistical assistants of the Division.
9. Performing other related duties as required.
Knowledge of statistical principles and practices. Ability to conduct independent research and analysis. Ability to identify issues, formulate options and make conclusions and recommendations. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Keeps abreast of available technology; understands applicability and limitation of technology to the work of the office; actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks; shows willingness to learn new technology.
Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) preferably in statistics, mathematics, economics or a directly related field. A first-level university degree with a combination of relevant academic qualification and extensive experience in a related field may be accepted in lieu of an advanced university degree.
A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in the areas of cost-of-living measurement and international comparison of prices, or related statistics, both at the national and international level, required. Solid computer skills and understanding of their application to statistical work, including skills in database management and in the use of MS Office applications, especially Excel and Access, are required.
English and French are the working languages of the United nations Secretariat. For this post, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of a second official UN language is highly desirable.
This vacancy is subject to availability of post. Staff members of the United Nations Secretariat must fulfill the lateral move requirements to be eligible to apply for this vacancy. Staff members are requested to indicate all qualifying lateral moves in their Personal History Profile (PHP) and cover note.
United Nations Considerations
The United Nations shall place no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. (Charter of the United Nations – Chapter 3, article 8). The United Nations Secretariat is a non-smoking environment.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.
Incoming search terms for the article:
- Powered by Article Dashboard definition of science technology and society
- Powered by Article Dashboard what is science technology and society
- Powered by Article Dashboard definition of psychology
- Powered by Article Dashboard psychology of men
- Powered by Article Dashboard definition of
- Powered by Article Dashboard define condition
- Powered by Article Dashboard definition of technology assessment
- Powered by Article Dashboard master degree psychology
- Powered by Article Dashboard definition of civil technology
- Powered by Article Dashboard science technology society