Job Vacancies Inter-American Development Bank (IDB)
Position: Social Protection Senior Specialist
Location: United States of A, Washington
Closing Date: Sunday, 10 April 2011
Senior Specialist/Specialist – Economist
Country Office/Headquarters *
Social Protection & Health Division of the Social Sector
Grade: IV, V **
The Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) is the leading source of multilateral financing for regional development in Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC). It provides loans, grants, guarantees, policy advice and technical assistance to the public and private sectors of its borrowing member countries.
The IDB is currently looking for a Senior Social Protection Specialist to join the Social Protection and Health (SPH) Division ascribed to the Social Sector (SCL) Department under the Vice-Presidency for Sectors and Knowledge (VPS). Guided by the Chief of SPH, the Economist/Senior Economist will contribute to both the SPH operational and the knowledge and capacity building work program in the LAC Region.
SPH is tasked with the preparation and supervision of IDB operations in borrowing member countries in the areas of social protection (safety nets and transfers, early childhood development, youth at risk, articulation between social assistance/poverty reduction programs and social insurance systems, poverty targeting, etc.), health (health system strengthening, chronic disease management and prevention, closing the coverage gap of proven cost-effective public health interventions, financial protection in health) and nutrition.
SPH has particularly significant responsibilities in strengthening efforts to improve quality and strengthen the results orientation of the operations it supports. SPH also seeks to grow its team of professionals in order to generate high-level analytical work to strengthen its policy dialogue with borrowing member countries.
* Participate in the conceptualization and execution of knowledge and capacity building products (KCP) in the area of social protection and poverty, including the preparation and publication of critical economic and sector work, in collaboration with the Senior Economic Advisor in SCL and with other Bank divisions and departments.
* Develop analytical tools (e.g. poverty targeting tools) and conduct sector economic work (e.g. cost-benefit analysis) underpinning project preparation.
* In charge of the origination, preparation, supervision and evaluation of loans and technical cooperation operations.
* Contribute to the preparation, submission, processing and negotiation of operational and non-operational documents for approval by various levels of management and the Bank’s Board of Directors in accordance with established procedures.
* Provide input for the preparation of sector and country strategies in the area of social protection and poverty.
* In the countries of assignment, maintain IDB Representatives abreast of all of the projects under direct supervision and provide knowledge on country-specific social protection.
* Represent the Bank in policy dialogue with Government authorities and development partners as well as in conferences, meetings and symposia on social protection and poverty topics.
* Build networks and coordinate activities with social protection and poverty specialists in other multilateral and bilateral institutions to promote coordination and cooperation initiatives.
Education: Master in economics or other related social sciences/quantitative disciplines Ph.D. preferred.
Experience: A minimum of 5 years of relevant professional and academic experience.
Preference will be given to candidates with demonstrated experience in the design and quantitative evaluation of social protection and poverty reduction programs and a proven record of economic sector work on poverty issues. Publications in peer reviewed journals preferred.
Language: Proficiency in at least two of the Bank’s official languages (one being English or Spanish). Knowledge of French and/or Portuguese is an advantage.
in-depth technical knowledge of policy, technical and analytical issues in social protection and poverty in developing countries, preferably in Latin America and the Caribbean. Strong quantitative and analytical background; ability to work with STATA/SPSS/other such statistical analysis software.
Demonstrated ability to recognize patterns and underlying relationships among issues and different sources of information. Capacity to contribute to the definition of a shared vision consistent with organizational strategies and results in the area of social protection.
Problem Solving and Decision Making: Demonstrated ability to grasp complex problems and to bring analytical rigor and an empirical approach to problem solving. Ability to make critical decisions and recommendations based on a well-reasoned assessment of risks.
Capacity to lead project teams by creating an inclusive workplace, fostering the achievement of high technical standards, creativity, productivity and promoting cooperation and constructive conflict management.
Demonstrated ability to motivate the team as a leader or as a member of multicultural and multidisciplinary teams. Receptive to ideas put forward by other members of the team. Ability to express disagreement tactfully. Capacity to take the initiative to assist others and willingness to share information, knowledge and best practices.
Demonstrated ability to gain support for a proposed initiative, and present or execute plans or ideas in a manner that fosters consistent understanding among others.
Initiative and Adaptability: Ability to act independently and resourcefully in responding to work demands under tight time constraints. Ability and willingness to carry out multiple tasks and to quickly adapt to shifting priorities.
Ability to clearly convey complex facts and ideas in a logical and organized manner in writing and orally, adapting communication style to the needs of the audience.
Organizational Savvy and Building Bonds:
Demonstrated ability to build and maintain relationships and networks within and outside the Bank.
* The location for this position (Country Office in the Caribbean Department Group (CCB) [Bahamas, Barbados, Guyana, Haiti, Jamaica, Suriname, Trinidad and Tobago] or Headquarters) will be determined in accordance to the Division’s business needs.
** The final grade of the position will be determined by the level of responsibilities assigned.
Comprehensive Relocation Package (if applicable)
The IDB is committed to gender equality and encourages women to apply.
We seek diversity also in terms of nationality, ethnicity, race and educational background.
Persons living with disability or HIV/AIDS are equally encouraged to apply.
Closing Date: April 10, 2011
Inter-American Development Bank (IDB)
1300 New York Avenue, N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20577, USA
Tel: (202) 623-1000
Fax: (202) 623-3096
Incoming search terms for the article:
- idb guyana vacancies
- bank of guyana vacancies
- IDB vacancies in guyana
- idb vacancies
- idb vacancies guyana
- vacancies in guyana
- guyana vacancies
- job vacancies in guyana
- iadb vacancies
- iadb guyana