Consultant on Implementation of E-Governance, South Africa
Closing Date: Thursday, 13 May 2010
CONSULTANT: CONSULTANT ON IMPLEMENTATION OF E-GOVERNANCE
Location : Eastern Cape South Africa, SOUTH AFRICA
Application Deadline : 13-May-10
Type of Contract : SSA
Languages Required : English
Starting Date :
(date when the selected canditate is expected to start) 10-May-2009
Duration of Initial Contract : 12 months
Expected Duration of Assignment : 12 months
On March 2008, a Project Document between the Eastern Cape Government and the UNDP was signed with the intention of establishing a framework for cooperation in the area of e-governance to increase service delivery in all sectors within both the provincial and municipal spheres of the government and to encourage citizen participation through an efficient ICT structure at municipality level.
On December 2008, a mission to the Provincial Government was sent by UNDP with the purpose to generate an assessment of the ICT situation, needs and challenges within the Department of Housing, Local Government & Traditional Affairs and the municipalities of KSD, Mbizana & Mnquma. Different types of challenges were found as a result of the assessment and an updated Annual Work Plan was developed to address all the needs and challenges.
During the year 2008 the Eastern Cape Provincial Government drafted and developed an ICT Strategy: 2008-2014 for the province, in which the provincial government states that ICT could play the dual role of enhancing social and economic development by acting as an enabler of service provision as well as an industry in its own right. In the strategy the role of ICT is conceived as an enabler to make significant improvements in both productivity and service delivery, which encompasses UNDP’s vision of ICT as a development enabler.
The AWP for the current year was updated to encompass the provincial ICT strategy and the needs of the local municipalities to achieve service delivery and increase access to information to encourage citizen’s participation in their local governments.
UNDP South Africa will support the Eastern Cape Province in the implementation of the e-governance project, focusing on the establishment of a provincial implementation plan for the Department of Local Government and Housing and the municipalities to achieve the Provincial ICT strategy. The project should consider four areas of intervention:
* Creation of an implementation plan of the ICT strategy for the municipalities
* Generation of ICT tools and mechanisms to encourage citizens’ participation
* Develop tools and mechanisms to access to information and knowledge
* Increase community and municipal awareness on the utilization of ICT tools
The Project Development Specialist (Lead Consultant) will have the following tasks:
* Develop an e-governance implementation plan encompassing the Provincial ICT strategy and the Municipal.
* Develop ICT tools to address the findings and requirements of the community and local government.
* Develop a concept document on e-participation/community participation which includes planning and promote feedback to local governments.
* Develop a program to upgrade institutional and organizational capacity in the municipalities to support Provincial ICT strategy and respond to community needs by providing specific training to IT focal points within KSD & Mbizana.
* Support the procurement and installation of computers at existing Multi-Purpose Community Center within the 10 identified wards in KSD & Mbizana municipalities.
* Develop and conduct a multi-stakeholder e-governance awareness workshop for municipal managers, counselors and community representatives/NGO.
* Develop an e-governance training programme for community leaders in the 10 identified wards to increase capacity at the community level.
* Develop a training program for counselors and municipal managers.
* Develop booklets and manuals for the community to facilitate the usage of ICT applications and tools.
* Develop manual for local municipalities to increase and monitor customer service response.
* Develop an awareness campaign to increase participation of the broader community on the e-governance tools and mechanisms.
In-depth knowledge and understanding of e-government, ICT4D, e-Governance development issues, and relevant work experience.
* Previous experience with e-governance/e-government reporting project formulation.
* Experience in project and programme implementation.
* Knowledge and understanding of planning, policy development, analysis, and research.
* Knowledge of the government institutions,
* Full understanding of decision making processes and the ICT role in administrative and management processes.
* Minimum of 5 years of experience in institutional organization and business management in complex environments, experience in strategic processes planning, in project management,
* Experience in drafting reports, and working with Government institutions.
Abilities, skills and personal qualities:
* Ability to analyze, plan, communicate effectively orally and in writing, draft report, solve problems, organize and meet expected results, adapt to different environments (cultural, economic, political and social).
* Fluency in English orally and in writing.
* Possess good interpersonal skills, solid judgment/decision making, initiative and creativity. Be a team player.
* Computer literacy and ability to effectively use office technology equipment, IT tools.
1. e-governance strategy develop witch encompasses both services and delivery mechanisms and modalities
a. Analytical report on the state of IT within the three municipalities & Department of Local Government & Traditional Affairs;
b. Implementation strategy with a budget on required intervention/workplan/budget ( implementable recommendations based on local needs and reality)
c. Programme document on e-governance and service delivery
2. e-governance implementation plan encompassing the Provincial ICT strategy and the Municipal
3. ICT mechanism in place to promote community based planning and feedback to make local government accountable to the community for service delivery
a. KSD & Mbizana websites developed capable of providing information and getting feedback from communities
b. Concept document on e-participation/community participation which includes planning and promote feedback to local governments
c. ICT4D mechanisms implemented to address the findings and requirements of the community and local government.
4. Capacity built at the community level for use & production of knowledge disseminated by e-governance system
a. Program to upgrade institutional and organizational capacity in the municipalities to support Provincial ICT strategy and respond to community needs by providing specific training to IT focal points within KSD & Mbizana
b. Manual for local municipalities to increase and monitor customer service response.
c. Booklets and manuals for the community to facilitate the usage of ICT applications and tools.
5. Awareness campaign to increase participation of the broader community on the e-governance tools and mechanisms.
* Advanced university degree in computer science, in public administration, governance, economics, and/or areas relevant for the assignment.
Incoming search terms for the article:
- ksd municipality vacancies
- ksd municipality vacancies 2012
- ksd municipality vacancies 2011
- Municipality vacancies 2011
- ksd municipality
- ksd local municipality vacancies
- mbizana local municipality vacancies
- Mbizana Municipality vacancies
- eastern cape municipality vacancies
- ksd municipality jobs