Job Vacancies Horn Relief
Horn Relief is an Africa based international development and humanitarian organization. We aim to improve the conditions of those who are living in marginalized areas in the Horn of Africa. We strengthen rural livelihoods through environmental awareness, training, technology transfer and innovative humanitarian projects in pursuit of a peaceful, self-reliant, and greener future. Currently, Horn Relief operates in Somalia and Kenya with 4 offices in Somalia/Somaliland and an office in Garissa, Kenya with headquarters based in Nairobi and has an annual operating budget of over US$ 8 million per year for its operations in the country. Horn Relief anticipates expansion of Programs to other countries in the Horn of Africa region. Horn Relief works in the following sectors: food security and livelihoods, in particular cash based responses, natural resource management, education (formal and non-formal), WASH, and humanitarian response. The present donor portfolio includes European Commission, USAID, SIDA, CIDA, UNICEF, Government of Netherlands, Oxfam Novib, Oxfam Canada and others.
Position: Development Specialist
Closing Date: Sunday, 23 January 2011Closing date: 23 Jan 2011
Location: United States of America (the)
Washington DC/Metro Area with frequent travel within the USA, UK and Kenya
Organization: Horn Relief, www.hornrelief.org
Position Title: Development Specialist
Programme / Duty station: Washington DC/Metro Area with frequent travel within the USA, UK and Kenya
Reporting to: Executive Director
Working with: Board members , Senior Management Team and Programmes staff at HQ
Start date: Immediate
Duration: One year with possibility of renewal
Salary grade and range: Salary 42,000 to – 62,000 per year plus additional benefits
* To build up and maintain a solid understanding of Horn Relief, its vision, mission, main sectors, cross-cutting themes and approaches, its programmes and projects, to actively contribute towards review and updating of these, and to optimize this knowledge in his/her daily fundraising activities;
* Write proposals, including RFA and RFP, concept papers, project briefs to foundations, institutional donors and private groups
* To advise the Senior Management Team, and take a leading role, on the formulation of funding strategies;
* To develop and maintain an open database with donor information, including donor names and contacts, funding opportunities and limitations, specific requirements, historical data;
* To maintain up-to-date information on programme and projects on the Horn Relief website and through other forms of information dissemination such as annual reports, brochures, etc.;
* To provide quality and responsive communication to all donors on projects
* Help prepare and manage approved annual fundraising budgets and timelines
* To identify fundraising opportunities with institutional and other donors for Horn Relief’s projects in the Horn of Africa
* Research, plan and implement corporate funding strategies
* Research prospective foundation sources and prepare grant application as necessary.
* Research prospective major funders and prepare and implement fundraising strategies
* Plan capital campaign strategies, including the establishment of goals, campaign strategies, etc.
* Update comprehensive records of funders, sources of funds, organizations, etc.
* Manage and track pledges
* Keep the board members and senior management updated
* Research and coordinate the development and implementation of select Project fundraising activities
* Perform other related duties as assigned
* Lead and Coordinate advocacy initiatives, in particular those relevant to members of Congress and US government administrations.
* Develop advocacy programs to press stakeholders to deliver appropriate investment in Horn Relief’s thematic areas
* External representation of Horn Relief’s advocacy aims
* Build and manage relationships with key stakeholders and strategic partners
* Manage annual budgets for Campaign and Advocacy activities, ensuring that all expenditure is within budget
Qualifications and experience
* University degree in relevant discipline
* At least five years of senior work experience in the field of proposal development and fundraising, preferably with an NGO;
* The ideal candidate will be a strategic thinker with significant fundraising/development, media, advocacy and policy experience
* Must be able to demonstrate success as a fundraiser through the funds raised as well as current relationships with donors
* Must possess excellent oral and written communications skills in English, proven initiative and follow-through, and a commitment Horn Relief’s mission and vision
* Ability to work under pressure, under tight deadlines and with competing priorities
* Must hold strong understanding of USAID procurement rules and the US Government and European Union and other donors preferred.
* Overseas work experience preferred.
* Willingness to travel regularly, in particular within the region, provided that the security situation permits. Travel required approximately 30% of the time.
How to apply
Applications should be submitted by 23rd January, 2011. The selection committee will review all applications as they arrive. All applicants must meet the minimum requirements described above, and those unable to meet these requirements will not be considered. Horn Relief is an equal opportunity employer.
Each application package should include the following:
* Cover letter with the applicant’s current contact information.
* Resume (including detailed work experience, education/degrees)
* References (minimum of three, with complete contact information)
Applications not including all of the above information will not be reviewed.
All applications should be sent to Horn Relief at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: “Development Specialist”.
Reference Code: RW_8CMBFW-81
Incoming search terms for the article:
- horn relief
- horn relief vacancies
- somaliland job vacancies
- somali job vacancies
- www hornrelief org
- Horn relief jobs
- relief vacancies
- somaliland vacancies
- jobs in somaliland
- government vacancies 2011