Job Vacancies Global Pulse
Position: Twitter Analytics Research Coordinator
Location: United States of America ( The ), New York
Closing Date: Saturday, 31 March 2012
Global Pulse is an innovation initiative in the Executive Office of the UN Secretary-General, harnessing new digital data to help the public sector understand sooner how communities are coping with the impacts of global crises. To this end, Global Pulse is developing a 21st-century approach to impact monitoring, building social software for evidence-based decision making, and establishing a network of “Pulse Labs” to mainstream the use of real-time data analysis into development policy. Pulse Labs are national facilities established to support the public sector by developing analytical and technological capacity for harnessing real-time data to strengthen social protection.
Global Pulse is establishing a Pulse Lab in Jakarta in partnership with the Indonesian Government. Pulse Lab Jakarta will function as an open innovation space where policy experts together with UN development practitioners and other partners can experiment with new types of data and emerging technologies and evaluate their potential to enhance both public policy decision-making and community resilience.
Purpose of Assignment
Global Pulse is conducting exploratory research in Indonesia into the utility of a variety of digital data sources for providing real time awareness of the well being of vulnerable populations for more agile targeting of policies and programmes.
Indonesia has the third largest number of Twitter users in the world, and ranks among the top five in countries worldwide in terms of overall volume. Recent research has demonstrated that messages broadcast on Twitter have potential utility for monitoring, and in some cases predicting, the spread of epidemics; unfolding of natural disasters; evolution of public opinion; changes in economic and financial well being; and the public perception of crises and their sentiment on how their government is responding to these crises.
The scope of work for this consultancy is to coordinate and report on the initial proof-of-concept phase of a yearlong joint research effort by Global Pulse and its partners in the private sector and academia into public tweets in Bahasa and Javanese from 2010-2012. This preliminary investigation by the consultant and research partners will serve as a key input into the research agenda for Pulse Lab Jakarta. More specifically, the consultancy is expected to explore the utility of Twitter for: 1. Enhancing real time awareness of conditions impacting vulnerable populations. 2. Improving capacity to monitor the effectiveness of development campaigns and programs.
– Design Consult with key stakeholders (Global Pulse and the UN Country Team) to define the research agenda based on thematic priorities of the Government of Indonesia (e.g. on food, energy, and jobs) and identify data sets that will serve as a ground-truth curve for analysis. The output will be a joint work plan for partners, drafted by the consultant by the end of the first month, outlining the specific research questions to be investigated and available data sets (e.g. official statistics, such as census data, inflation or employment indicators, etc.) that will be utilized by partners in the analyses.
These data sources may include:
· Official statistics such as census data, inflation or employment indicators.
· Household surveys, including vulnerability assessments, from UN agencies.
· Remote sensing data as related to environment, agriculture, or human activity.
· Time and location of specific events, such as price shocks, crop failures or introduction of new social services and development programs.
– Analysis Supervise development by partners of content filters that segregate Twitter messages both geographically and, to the extent possible, demographically, by inferring gender, age group, profession, socioeconomic level, etc. The consultant will coordinate research partner activities in: 1. Correlating the volume, sentiment, and thematic content of messages with the data sets provided and 2. Analyzing the networks of influence through which specific types of messages flow.
- Policy Report/Documentation As the final output, the consultant will deliver a policy report/package, which includes: 1. Summary of preliminary findings. A summary presentation (executive summary or brief slide deck) of initial results for high-level non-technical audience. 2. Correlation Analysis. A detailed report capturing all relevant findings from analysis conducted to date by partners, assessing the potential utility of both Twitter and the types of analysis performed for improving understanding of the themes, types of events, geographic areas, and population groups covered during the first phase of research together with recommendations for further exploration and refinement. 3. Process Documentation (Methods Paper) Ensure that research partners provide comprehensive documentation of the analytical tools and methods employed and the workflow performed, and any challenges encountered, in accessing data, cleaning data, analyzing data, and reporting results, so that future bottlenecks may be identified and addressed.
Planning and organizing
– Experience with project management. Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Shares knowledge and experience; actively works towards continuing personal learning, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills.
Leadership and Self-Management
- Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback; Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude; remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure.
Masters degree in statistics, applied mathematics, physics, computer science, telecommunications engineering, health informatics or other relevant technical discipline. A first-level university degree with relevant combination of academic qualifications and extensive experience related to the nature of the position may be accepted in lieu of an advanced university degree.
At least five years of progressively responsible experience in quantitative data analysis; Expertise with scripting, coding, and ETL operations required for data cleaning, analysis, and reporting on large data sets; Experience using the Twitter API; Experience with analysis of Twitter content, including application of sentiment analysis, text mining, and social network analysis; Experience working in the fields of international development or crisis management; Experience analyzing data from social monitoring systems, monitoring and evaluation work, or other survey work in developing countries; Experience working in Indonesia is desirable.
Fluent English required. Knowledge of Bahasa Indonesia/Javanese an asset. Knowledge of any other UN language an asset.
Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time (UCT/GMT + 1hour)
Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a level below the advertised level of the post .
How to apply:
To view the full vacancy announcement for this position visit the the UNOPS website at http://www.unops.org/english/whoweneed/Pages/Vacancies.aspx.
Qualified applicants are encouraged to create an online profile and apply for this position. Email submissions will not be considered.
Incoming search terms for the article:
- Powered by Article Dashboard physics jobs
- Powered by Article Dashboard mathematical physics
- Powered by Article Dashboard physics lab
- Powered by Article Dashboard program evaluation
- Powered by Article Dashboard pressure physics problems
- Powered by Article Dashboard center for science in the public interest
- Powered by Article Dashboard mathematics careers
- Powered by Article Dashboard public service
- Powered by Article Dashboard applied physics learning
- Powered by Article Dashboard center for science in the public