Job Vacancies Global Pulse
The UN Secretary-General has called on the UN System – drawing on the expertise of outside partners – to establish Global Pulse to provide decision makers with real-time information and analysis to ensure that responses to global crises take appropriate account of the needs of the most vulnerable populations. Global Pulse is currently in its design phase with a first demonstration of ideas planned for June 2010. It will build on the wealth of existing early warning and monitoring systems, and fill real time data gaps where necessary.
Position: Events Coordinator
Closing Date: Thursday, 10 March 2011
Location: United States of America (the) – New York, NY
Vacancy Code: VA/2011/NAO/GP/EC/24-02
Title: Events Coordinator
Level: Local Individual Contractor Support (L- ICA)
Org Unit: NAO/Global Pulse, Executive Office of the Secretary-General
Duty Station: New York, USA
Duration: Retainer up to 31 December 2011
Closing Date: 10 March 2011
Over the past decade, the international community has put in place a number of useful sector- specific global early warning mechanisms, ranging from systems tracking disease outbreaks and natural disasters to mechanisms that capture signs of droughts, famines and climate change to those that signal emerging complex emergencies. However, it has become clear in the context of the global food and economic crises that there are few mechanisms that are able to report across sectors on the immediate impacts that global shocks have on the lives of the poorest and most vulnerable populations. As a result, decision makers find themselves having to make difficult decisions based on projections and anecdotal accounts as opposed to collected data that can immediately signal changes in the welfare of the most vulnerable populations.
Recognizing this gap, the UN Secretary-General has called on the UN System – drawing on the expertise of outside partners – to establish Global Pulse to provide decision makers with real-time information and analysis to ensure that responses to global crises take appropriate account of the needs of the most vulnerable populations. Global Pulse is currently in its design phase with a first demonstration of ideas planned for June 2010. It will build on the wealth of existing early warning and monitoring systems, and fill real time data gaps where necessary.
The advertised position will be working on the Global Pulse Team within the Executive Office of the UN Secretary-General.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Event Coordinator reports both to the Event Lead and Project Associate, under the general supervision of the Deputy Director. The consultant will coordinate a series of events throughout the duration of the contract. The events will vary in length, location, requirements, number of participants, complexity and outputs. The consultant will be asked to perform the following duties:
* Research venues, caterers, and other necessary services related to the event (i.e. photographers, audio/visual equipment, printed materials, speakers, volunteers)
* Prepare quotes and contracts for review and approval in accordance with UNOPS Procurement Rules and Guidelines and serve as the main point of contact with the vendors
* Liaise with the UNOPS Procurement Office on setting up purchase orders, contracting with vendors, and issuing payments
* Research, recommend and utilize online events management programs appropriate for the event and audience
* Assist in developing event agendas and logistics planning, as well as follow-up after the event
* Assist in preparing background materials and invitations for distribution to participants, sponsors, speakers and media sources
* Maintain a contact list database, a detailed status report on conference events and a work plan for all preparatory activities
* Research and present instances for improvements to the work plan
* Create and maintain electronic files in the Global Pulse shared drive
* Prepare a report on the research of venues, caterers, and vendors; as well as fees and contract requirements
* Prepare and maintain a budget for each event, specifically highlighting cost saving efforts
* Follow up on all payments and prepare a final report on payments and suggest methods for improvement
* Prepare a detailed contact list of invited participants as well as a final attendance list per event
* Detailed status report on conference events
* Preparatory activities work plan
* Weekly status reports
* Post event report and lessons learned
Required Competencies & Knowledge
* Professionalism – familiarity with relevant technologies for event coordination; thorough knowledge of communication tools, methodologies and strategies (e.g. campaign management, social media operations, audience outreach, message targeting, etc.); strong research skills, with the ability to rapidly analyze and synthesize diverse information from varied sources; cultural awareness and ability to handle diverse target audiences. Public speaking ability and presentational skills, ability to produce a variety of written communications products and to articulate ideas.
* Planning and organizing – Experience with project management. Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently; able to assume and manage a high workload and multiple tasks simultaneously.
* Communication – Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
* Teamwork – Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position.
Knowledge Management and Learning:
* Shares knowledge and experience;
* Actively works towards continuing personal learning, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills.
Leadership and Self-Management:
* Ability to work under minimal supervision
* Focuses on results for the client and responds positively to feedback;
* Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
* Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure
* Minimum 3 – 5 years experience in relevant field
* Experience coordinating multi-day events for up to 200 participants
* Experience working with UN agencies and UN Financial and Procurement Rules and Regulations is desirable
* Excellent computer skills, Microsoft Office and online events management programs
* Excellent written and spoken English, excellent writing and presentation skills
* Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
* Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
* Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
* UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a selected candidate at a level below the advertised level of the post.
To view the full vacancy please visit: http://www.unops.org/_layouts/scripts/GetVAFile.aspx?id=5388
How to apply
Qualified candidates may submit their application, including a letter of interest, complete Curriculum Vitae and an updated United Nations Personal History Form (P.11), via e-mail to email@example.com
Kindly indicate the vacancy number and the post title when applying (in the subject line by e-mail).
Reference Code: RW_8EEPTA-25
Incoming search terms for the article:
- Powered by Article Dashboard branches of natural science
- pligg content management system quotes
- pligg content management system weather station
- pligg content management system branches of natural science
- pligg content management system station
- dgvas@unops org
- Powered by Article Dashboard branches of physics
- pligg content management system audio speakers
- Powered by Article Dashboard applied physics associates
- pligg content management system draw