Job Vacancies Executive Office of the Secretary-General (EOSG)
Position Intern – Environment Affairs
Department/ Office Executive Office of the Secretary-General
Location: United States of America ( The ), New York
Posting Period 13 March 2012-13 June 2012
Job Opening number 12-ENV-EOSG-23200-R-NEW YORK (O)
United Nations Core Values: Integrity, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity
Org. Setting and Reporting
The Climate Change Support Team (CCST) supports the Secretary-General in his efforts to advance the climate agenda. As part of the Secretary-General’s Five-Year Action Agenda, addressing climate change continues to be a priority area.
The CCST internship is for two (2) months with an opportunity for extension, pending on the needs of the team.
Applicants are encouraged to highlight their specific skills and/or experience in their cover note. They are asked to do so carefully in order to enhance the value of the internship for both themselves and the receiving Office.
The internship is UNPAID and full-time.
Interns work five days per week (35 hours) under the supervision of a staff member in the Department or Office to which they are assigned.
CCST is looking for interns to support the Team staff in carrying out their respective areas of work. Responsibilities may include:
- Assist in the liaison with Member States, United Nations Agencies, Funds and Programmes, and other relevant stakeholders;
- Assists in the organization and servicing of expert group meetings, seminars, etc., on climate change and related issues;
- Assist in the preparation of reports and other substantive material;
- Conduct related research;
- Assist in the preparation of outreach material such as talking points, high-level correspondence, press remarks, and presentations.
- Demonstrated understanding of conflict resolution and the functioning of international organizations;
- Ability to keep matters confidential and exercise good discretion in using information;
- Conscientiousness in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results;
- Motivated by professional rather than personal concerns;
- Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges and remains calm in stressful situations.
- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively;
- Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately;
- Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication;
- Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience;
- Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals;
- Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others;
- Places team agenda before personal agenda;
- Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position;
- Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Applicants must have background in economics, environmental affairs, international relations, political science, or similar.
To qualify for consideration for this internship by the United Nations Headquarters Internship Programme, the following conditions must be met:
1. Applicants must be enrolled in a Master’s degree or PhD-Programme at the time of application and during the internship.
2. Applicants pursuing their studies in countries where higher education is not divided into undergraduate and graduate stages must have completed at least four years of full-time studies at a university or equivalent institution towards the completion of a degree.
Be computer literate in standard software applications.
Have a demonstrated keen interest in the work of the United Nations and have a personal commitment to the ideals of the Charter; and,
Have a demonstrated ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which include willingness to try and understand and be tolerant of differing opinions and views.
Applicants are not required to have professional work experience for participation in the programme.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. Fluency in spoken and written English is required for the Internship Programme. Knowledge of French is desirable. Knowledge of an additional official UN language is an asset.
Potential candidates will be contacted by hiring manager directly for further consideration.
A completed application (cover note and Personal History Profile) is required. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
The cover note must include:
- Title of degree you are currently pursuing;
- Graduation date (when you will be graduating from the programme);
- List the IT skills and programmes that you are proficient in;
- List your top three areas of interest/departments preferences;
- Explain why you are the best candidate for that specific department (s);
- Explain your interest in the United Nations Internship Programme.
In your Personal History Profile (PHP), be sure to include all past work experiences, IT skills, and three references.
Due to high volume of applications received, ONLY successful candidates will be contacted.
United Nations Considerations
The United Nations shall place no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. (Charter of the United Nations – Chapter 3, article 8). The United Nations Secretariat is a non-smoking environment.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.
Incoming search terms for the article:
- Powered by Article Dashboard lowes regional office
- Powered by Article Dashboard florida attorney general
- Powered by Article Dashboard the general
- Powered by Article Dashboard attorney generals office
- Powered by Article Dashboard exercise
- Powered by Article Dashboard lowes home improvement credit
- pligg content management system action
- Powered by Article Dashboard physical activity
- Powered by Article Dashboard state attorney general
- Powered by Article Dashboard attorney general\s office