Job Vacancies Department of Safety and Security
Position: Staff Assistant
Department/ Office DEPARTMENT OF SAFETY AND SECURITY
Duty Station NEW YORK
Closing Date: Saturday, 13 August 2011
Job Opening number 11-ADM-DEPT OF SAFETY AND SECURITY-20094-R-NEW YORK
United Nations Core Values: Integrity, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity
Org. Setting and Reporting
The Department of Safety and Security (DSS) was established to unify and strengthen the United Nations Security Management System in order to ensure the safety and security of United Nations staff, operations and premises at United Nations Headquarters, the main duty stations and in the field. The Division of Headquarters Security and Safety Services provides strategic leadership, management, technical oversight and monitoring for the Security and Safety Services at Headquarters, Offices away from Headquarters and Regional Commissions. The Staff Assistant acts under the general supervision of the Director and the direct guidance of the Protection Coordination Assistant in the Division.
Under the general supervision of the Director of the Division of Headquarters Security and Safety Services (DHSSS), and the direct guidance of the Protection Coordination Assistant, the Staff Assistant performs the following duties and has the following responsibilities:
1. Performs a full range of office management and administrative support functions for DHSSS:
- Develops and maintains internal databases and forms; updates website and/or informs the appropriate unit to generate the new information; creates a variety of standard and non-standard statistical reports from databases and other systems; updates and maintains the eRoom account, provides updates and statistics for different users, including ones from OAHs;
- Provides Helpdesk support to DHSSS staff; acts as primary contact for software, hardware, and network problems in the Division, communicates as necessary with OICT to diagnose and resolve service disruptions or errors that may arise; provides support for computer information systems, databases and applications in assigned area; performs complex troubleshooting for various applications;
- Responds to moderately complex information requests and inquiries, and as necessary refers inquiries to appropriate personnel for handling; researches, compiles and organizes information and reference materials from various sources for reports, briefing, and meetings; provides secretarial, administrative and logistics support to meetings, project teams, etc; assists in the preparation of presentation materials using appropriate technology (e.g., for the United Nations Security and Safety Services Network (UNSSSNET) annual meetings);
- Engages with the Executive Office on administrative processes relating to the Division, follow-up on all administrative arrangements, such as: travel for the Security Coordination Officers; identification of technology needs and maintenance of equipment, software and systems; organizing and coordinating administrative arrangements for conferences; maintains electronic files of rules, regulations, administrative instructions and other related documentation; provides guidance on general office processes, procedures, and computer applications;
- Drafts responses to routine correspondence/communications; proofreads/edits documents for accuracy, grammar, punctuation and style, and for adherence to established standards for format; screens phone calls and visitors; reviews, records, distributes and/or processes mail and other documents; uses office processing package to produce a wide variety of large, complex documents, reports, statistics in accordance with standards; maintains up-to-date work unit files (paper and electronic).
2. Assists in maintaining and executing of the Division’s operational functions:
- Assists the Security Coordination Officers in the coordination of projects/tasks; develops and maintains the conference database and provides assistance with conference coordination; assists in the coordination of the Monthly VTC with the Chiefs of SSSs; follows up on impending actions; provides Director with data on the projects/tasks’ progress; compiles, summarizes, and presents basic data on specific projects/tasks;
- Provides administrative and technical support in situations/emergencies that may arise at OAHs; assists in the preparation of necessary documentation for distribution to various offices, departments and OAHs; coordinates correspondence with the Office of the USG and Division of Regional Operations, as well as the other DSS units;
- Researches, compiles and organizes information submitted by SSSs for the Daily/Monthly Report; assists in the preparation of necessary documentation for distribution to various offices,
Departments and OAHs; prepares statistical tables and standard reports as required.
3. Performs other duties as directed by the Director of the Division:
- Provides support to the Administrative Officer with human resources management, budget and finance matters;
- Provides back up and support for the Senior Staff Assistant and Administrative Assistant
Knowledge of general office and administrative support including administrative policies, processes and procedures. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
Keeps abreast of available technology; understands applicability and limitation of technology to the work of the office; actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks; shows willingness to learn new technology.
Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
High school diploma or equivalent. Specialized secretarial and/or management/executive assistance training/courses are desirable.
A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in administrative and office management functions. Knowledge and competence in computer applications and office software is required.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this post fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language is desirable
Competency-based interviews will be conducted.
This position is for local recruitment.
Passing the Administrative Assessment Support Test (ASAT) is a prerequisite for recruitment consideration in the General Service category in the United Nations. To make arrangements to take this test, you may bring in person a copy of your completed Personal History Profile to the General Services and Related Categories Staffing Unit (GSRCSU), United Nations Secretariat, located at One United Nations Plaza (at corner of 1st Avenue and 44th Street), Room DC1-200. GSRCSU receives applicants every Wednesday (except public holidays) between 10.00 am and 12.00 Noon.
Persons wishing to take the ASAT are pre-screened and, if successful, scheduled to sit the ASAT at a later date.
United Nations Considerations
The United Nations shall place no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. (Charter of the United Nations – Chapter 3, article 8). The United Nations Secretariat is a non-smoking environment.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, TRAINING OR ANY OTHER FEES). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON BANK ACCOUNTS.
Incoming search terms for the article:
- saps vacancies july 2011
- department of safety and security vacancies 2011
- ingo staff safety and security
- PUBLIC INFORMATION-18979-R-NEW YORK
- safety assistant un new york
- SAPS vacancies 24 july 2011
- security coordination assistant
- UN Security Coordination Assistant
- Un security jobs 2011-2012